Post-war TT Pistol with Nazi markings?

The Russians had a real bad habit of shooting than repatriating because they should have died in the fight.
It would be interesting if they deliberately marked them in this way as rebellion.

I think you're confused on your history.

There is so much that I dont know about World War Two, It is a confusing war. But now that I have started to collect the firearms, I am interested in the history of the war.
There were so many battles in so many countries.
Let me get this right. The Germans were evil and wanted to take over the world, the Russians were also evil and took over neigboring Poland, Poland was good, our Country defeted the Germans in France, The Russians defeted the Germans in Stallingrad and the Polish,also defeted the Russians, and the US also defeted Japan. The Germans had also invaded Serbia, where the Russians drove them out.
It is confusing.
Am I kind of right?
The US never actually fought the Russians, but the Cold War, was a war that never happend, but at that time the Russians were our enemy?

In a nutshell, the Germans and Soviets were allied at the beginning of the war. They cooperated in invading Poland.

After Poland and Czechoslovakia, Hitler turned west though the low countries and France. Once he had the west settled, he then turned back east and betrayed the Soviets.

We always think of the axis as being Germany, Italy and Japan, but in fact Finland, Vichy France, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria were also allied with the Germans. The "Neutral" Swedes also supplied Germany with almost all its iron ore and used its merchant fleet to transport German troops and supplies in the Baltic, and put its railroads at German disposal to move troops up to Finland to invade Russia. Without Sweden's help, the Germans would have been done early in the war. Sweden also served as Germany's international banker and "fence" selling them iron ore for stuff they looted from other countries.

With all that going for them, the Germans still managed to lose.

I forgot that Stalin and Hitler agreed to divide Poland 50/50.

You will NOT be told that the German armies did not cross the Russian border to do so, they merely crossed into the Russian sector of Poland.

I thought that Hitler planned to fight the Soviets to make Churchill think that he had no Eastern ally to save him, not to mention the ideological differences of Hitler and Stalin. To be fair, the Eastern Front was partly in Poland but extended much farther north than Poland. As far as I know, it was the largest military offensive in history, known as Operation Barbarossa.

Um... we're getting quite far off topic here, we're supposed to be talking about my oddball gun, rather than debating the history of Poland, the USSR, and Germany.

Well, my theory is that it was a disgruntled Polish inspector and I'm sticking to that!

There's probably a Tok collectors forum somewhere that could tell you. If you find out, I'd like to know. I think it's a pretty interesting mark to find on a post-war Polish pistol.

Raftman,

I am sorry, I feel partially responsible for getting us off topic.
Your Pistol, is a very interesting Piece of History.

I think I'll have to consult the guy I bought this from, he's something of a collector and has a couple more Polish Toks... maybe he'll know something. Would be nice to find out if it done by some disgruntled (or ex-Nazi?) inspector, and thus of historical interest, or something far more recent and more akin to vandalism.

If the latter, anyone know if it's safe/wise to try and remove the markings?

Apparently, the Swastika is the emblem of the Polish Mountain Units - elite infantry brigades. It has nothing to do with Nazism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podhale_Rifles

KorpusowkaPodhalanczykow.png

Would be nice to find out if it done by some disgruntled (or ex-Nazi?) inspector, and thus of historical interest, or something far more recent and more akin to vandalism.

Personally I think some of you are reading waaaaay to much into those markings.

Many countries have used to the swastika to denote all manner of things. It's even still used today. (Go to Japan and buy a street map at the local 7-11 and you'll see what I mean.)

Just about every European surplus arm I've inspected has had many of those same markings. Everything from crescent moons to clover leafs to crosses and half circles and other assorted "lucky charms" stamped into the metal. Most of them are merely factory inspection stamps (not military acceptance stamps) from when the part was made.

Most likely the swastika you see is simply one of those.

Last edited:
I worked in a machine shop for a while way back and they had an old Polish lathe. We ordered parts for it from some out fit in Wisconsin that had bought out all the stuff it could from Poland. Some of the parts came in packed in weird grease and they had small eagle and swastika stamps on them, among other things. They were not backwards like on your gun. I agree with the others, it was probably a private stamp for an Inspector.

Well, it's the historical context that's interesting. 1952 was seven years after the Soviet occupation. Stalin was still alive and purging thousands of people. Entire populations were going to the Gulag.

To put a swastika mark on a pistol at that time (no matter the meaning), was a pretty risky thing to do.

It is a 1952 Polish Tokerev?
Thats interesting, I also own one, mine does not have the star on the grip.
I will have to disasemble mine, and look for markings in the frame as well.
By the way, If you have the means I highly recomend these Pistols.
They are very nice shooters.:)

zbysiu 23

I watched the Video about the Katyn Murders.
And it made me so Mad, and Sad at the same time.
It brought tears to my eyes, and made me feel so sorry for these men that were murdered.
That was Horrible.

Much has been said about the dividing of Poland by Hitler and Stalin, but what has been totally overlooked is the Polish-Russian War of 1919-1921. Although historians consider the Poles to have been successful in waging war against Russia, many Polish fighters were sent to gulags, never to be seen again, including one of my grandmother's brothers (although he was allowed to correspond with my grandmother; He died in the gulag in 1948).

Yet another reason why Poles aren't overly fond of Russians...

Back