Poll: If you could choose your combat sidearm.

Old_Dog

I often wondered that if I had to go to war now and could pick my own sidearm, which would it be. Thought I would ask others to make their own choices so we can see what would be the popular gun out of a small sample of guns that are often mentioned as possible military issued guns. So vote and give your reason in a reply to this post. I have seen individual posts about which gun should be our official military sidearm but do not recall a national poll, so here it is.

Vote now here

Whatever the unit carried, so the armorer could support maintenance; parts, magazines and ammo would be in stock; and interchangeability would exist between unit members in a crisis.

If I had to go, I'd like to continue using the 1911 Commander I carry everyday. I wouldn't need to learn a new system or get used to a new "feel". The muscle memory would be the same.

I like 1911s. I (don't want to) like Glocks. I'm sure I could learn to get along with a Beretta 92fs, or a Sig Sauer. However, there's more to going to war than what I personally like, so I'll go with MLeake on this one:
MLeake said:
Whatever the unit carried, so the armorer could support maintenance; parts, magazines and ammo would be in stock; and interchangeability would exist between unit members in a crisis.

Last edited:
I often wondered that if I had to go to war now and could pick my own sidearm, which would it be. Thought I would ask others to make their own choices so we can see what would be the popular gun out of a small sample of guns that are often mentioned as possible military issued guns. So vote and give your reason in a reply to this post. I have seen individual posts about which gun should be our official military sidearm but do not recall a national poll, so here it is.

Vote now here

Boy, there's another frequently asked question. Just like "what one gun?", answering it depends on a lot of assumptions. Who supports it, parts, etc.

Webley .45 breaktop, accept no substitutes.

Can we assume - since we're clearly fantasizing anyway - that everyone will be issued the same thing, or maintenance doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what direction I'd go. Something that would compliment the m4 seems like it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure what that is. While the m4 isn't perfect, I'm not sure what weakness it has that could be compensated for with a pistol.
Maybe like a S&W .500 in case I had to make a big hole in something?
Or maybe a Glock 18c in case my rifle was down but I still wanted to make a lot of little holes?

If I'm buying, the Glock. I'd use any of the ones listed with confidence except the 1911. I like 1911's, but only the ones that have proven they are reliable. All of mine are, but to randomly pick from a table full of guns with unknown histories a 1911 would be my last choice.

I viewed this as a question of -- you are the militia, and things have really gone downhill so the militia is (are?) being called up. Bring yer own weepon, and meet up at the town hall at 12:00, ready to go.

So I'd be bringing what I have, and what I trust. That would be an AR-15 (carbine, in my case), and a 1911.

I love my Glock, and while I would trust it in a combat scenario, I'd have to go with the Sig P228. Sig makes a great, reliable, and accurate gun. It is also a little heavier than the Glock and maybe a little easier to shoot well for someone who has never shot before. I just don't think 1911's have the ammo capacity for combat and I despise the M9.

Back