Poll: How much is an "Expensive rifle" to you?

How much is an "Expensive rifle" to you?

• $500

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • $1000

Votes: 100 47.4%
  • $2500

Votes: 78 37.0%
  • $5000

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $10,000

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
Being as I just spent $1300 dollars for a new lever action rifle without optics I suspect maybe something over $2500 I would consider expensive, maybe.

Last edited:
In my case, it's 1000.00 for the bare rifle, only one at this price. I was bit by the AR bug before the election and bought one, it's name is Hillary, I was afraid she'd be elected. I do have a CZ .22 that approaches 1000.00 with scope, mounts, extra magazine etc.
It's pretty easy to hit 900.00 to 1000.00 with scope and accessories.

This is strictly subjective. It's like ' what is accuracy ' to you? I've spent $5000 for a custom rifle that shoots .2 moa @ 1000 yrds. and I've spent $3000 for the same shooting at 200 yrds. I'd build my own now for no more than $3500 and it would have to be for a particular purpose. I honestly can't see building a rifle capable of shooting inside a .3@100 yrds for less than $2000 and the balance going for the scope/mounts. So, this is me, I don't own a rifle that shoots outside of a .3 moa at 100 yards.

I own 7 bolt actions, none were rifle/scope package purchases. Excluding tax, shipping, fees, stock upgrades-I average $600 for the rifle and $470 for optic systems. Then there's the side arms............

When charities come knocking I don't like discussing my firearm purchasing.

I voted prior to reading, oops. I picked $1000 because I think I need, or even want a rifle, that costs more than that. But I know, at this point, that good glass is expensive. You don't need to spend $3000 on a scope to get great optics, but with a $800-$900 rifle plus a $600-$1000 scope, you're way over $1k. So realistically, I wouldn't spend over $2000 on rifle, scope, mags, stock. In fact I just picked up my buddy's used MVP LC for $1000. Thought it was the scope package, but he had just put a $200 diamondback on it. No slouch, but I would rather the 4-16x44Vortex in the package, since I would like this to be a 1000yd/m rifle for me.

$2500 is high for me. At least until a week or so ago. I'm looking at adding a Original Winchester 1885 Single shot that's close to that. Still trying to make up my mind if i should pull the trigger on it.

$1000 - I consider expensive.

Do I have Rifles over $1000? Yes 2. But I consider them expensive rifles. Both have expensive glass, one is a 50mm Vortex Viper PST FFP Riflescope. I think I spent around $900 for that.... it was expensive.

Nice toys can be expensive. Would I buy a $2500 rifle? Maybe... thats really expensive :)

Apart from .22's the only bolt rifles I'm interested in are precision long range rifles and they are pricey.

Buy a DTA or AI throw a nightforce, USO or S&B optic on it and your getting up their in price.

My old setup was well over 5 figures.

I like to keep well below $1000 when I can. Savage rifles fulfill that bill, and perform well. An exemplary rifle that I really want might go $2500, but that would be a stretch for me.

$2K is my limit I would spend on a firearm. There is no reason for me as an amateur precision shooter to spend more to gain potential accuracy. Spending $1200-$1600 on a new firearm generally gets you excellent quality and precision. My upper end new purchased firearms :

Desert Eagle 44 mag brushed chrome $1550
Springfield Armory new production M1A loaded $1530
S&W 460 mag Performance Center $1399
Pedersoli 1874 Sharp's Silhouette (unfired used) $1249
Savage 12 FT/R 308 $1180

Totally happy with the outstanding quality and precision "out of the box" from these firearms.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I was actually looking at an old HK91 for very close to 2500$
the other day. I don't use .308, though, and what really turned me away was
"What would I use it for?" Looked like a great rifle, but I doubt it would shoot MOA.
They've just become collectibles, at this ppint.

optics

Since you stated "all up".....rifle and optics, I went with $1000. A bare rifle over $500 I consider expensive.......but I am constantly chided by everyone that my comprehension of prices stopped about 1990.

A bit of a rant, I am constantly shocked by the rising prices in our sport. One looks over the Rifleman magazine, and gear and guns run four figures routinely.
Guided hunts a small fortune, a pick-up/ 4WD more than what I paid for my house and 10 acres (years ago). Blackpowder as expensive, or more expensive than a pound of smokeless. My hunt club dues have quadrupled.
Ammo and components, I won't even go there.

My $500 vote is all about me, and me only, from experience over the years

For me a Fire arm is a TOOL

Sure there are many high end tools I would love to have...mostly for the stupid reason of prestige or they are just so damned good looking

Example a Sako FinnLite 22-250 I just love the feel of the damned thing, it fits me and I really like the inset rubber on the synth stock...and it is 6.5Lbs light...bu mostly I like it for looks

Shot a friends Sako Finnlite... frigging tack driver at 400 yards with off the shelf ammo and cheapo scope

Same day I saw the Sako ---on the shelf was a Savage model 11 204 Rugar for $385

Tad heavier... not nearly as beautiful

years before I had shot a 204 Rugar at prairie dogs and was pretty good with my uncles rifle...brand unknown

So I had to decide....great looking lovely rifle for $1600 or utility rifle that will get the job done for under $400.....frugal won AGAIN

So has gone my personal fire arms buying since I was a adult... utility first.... brand loyalty has some factor, fit n feel has a big factor

I find I can shoulder and shoot well with about any long gun but pistols and revolvers are much harder to shop for... so far my hand gun shopping has never had a chance to try it out first....so I tend to the lower cost versions...just not willing to spend the big bucks on the so called best of the best 1911...when my personal experience with the Army issued one was pretty good....for the 1911 .45s intend purpose and effective ranges I am real good with that pistol

I personally do not have a high end or Race version with every possible enhancements

I have learned how to properly bed a rifle and exploit some good aftermarket things like triggers

BUT I do have many gun nut friends who just have to have the very best of the best and that is totally cool with me... but I do smile a lot (inside) when my pawn shop $95 Sears Ted William's model 100 Win 30-30 rings the 400 yard steel and they miss

Poll: How much is an "Expensive rifle" to you?

$1800 is my tops. I spent $2200 on GB but I have since found that there seams to be a nicer one that shows up for less. So I just figure once I open the shipping box in my home , It should be about $1800. I’m a Sako A series fan. Specifically, any of the A Series or PPC rifles with the classic, not deluxe, hand rubbed oil finished factory wood stocks. They have to have the factory orange rubber butt pad and no iron sights to catch my eye though. I have almost a few time bought it now on several Sako rifles, but allowed me to cool off and wait for one that is cheaper. If the integral dove tails are drilled, then no more than $1200. I do not care what the condition the barrels are in, because I have found the modern CNC machined barrels are more accurate than the hand machined original barrels. I know, my style is catty wompus, but that’s just me. I won’t buy a rifle though if it has an aftermarket barrel though. Funny huh! I love those older actions and original stocks.

Last edited:
It depends.

I used to think anything much over $500 was an "expensive" rifle.

Then I shot Precision Rifle Series with a custom rifle that would have amounted in the thousands before the scope (also in the thousands) was included.

Now I'm looking at trying to get a $1,000 rifle and $600 scope to shoot PRS again and it's barely doable in that price range. I would consider $1,000 "cheap" for that sport. Run of the mill is $3,000-5,000 without optics.

Back