Poll: How much is an "Expensive rifle" to you?

How much is an "Expensive rifle" to you?

• $500

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • $1000

Votes: 100 47.4%
  • $2500

Votes: 78 37.0%
  • $5000

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $10,000

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
I voted $1000. I feel like $500 for an all in rifle is probably on the low side considering the cost of things these days. That being said for my personal situation, $500 is more than I can throw at something I don't need. If I buy a scoped rifle anytime soon, it'll be less than $500 and I'm sure it will be "good enough" for me. Im pretty good at not having champagne tastes with my beer (or more realistically, water) budget.

I'm either looking at this as I'm the minority, or I'm a cheap $$$.

My most expensive rifle was $400

I'm now doing builds.
$250 for rifle
$200 on barrel
$325 for scope and rings
$35 for 20MOA base.

I'll say this, my Remington XTR 700 in 7mm-08, which came with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x-40 (used) for only $325 has been one of the best buys I've ever made. I use it now deer hunting and with Hornady 139 gt Spitzer Boatail 'interlocks' with a good charge of CFE-223 powder it does, really does, give me 2 inch groups at 200 yards consistently (3 separate three shot groups and not one 'flyer'.)

Now I do have some $1000 rifles.. but that 'cheepie' is good as any!

But I do admit, I want a Remington Sendero II with Leupold 4-12x scope! And that will cost me a pretty penny,

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sendero-sf-ii

Deaf

I checked $5000. Most of my rifles + optics and accessories are well north of $2000, and the new custom that I built is close to $6500. I try not to think about what I have invested in firearms, it makes me think I'm crazy. At least I only had to charge the scope on the new build, but it cost more than the gun.

Considering the costs of living compared to 1980 a $1000 rifle isn't expensive and most anyone who really wants to should be able to justify something between $1000-$1500 including optics . A Remington 700 or Winchester 70 was around $300 at the time and a decent Leupold scope was $200ish. The median household income was under $17,000. Today it is around $55,000.

That doesn't mean everyone NEEDs a $1000 rig, but if you include decent optics even a budget gun and scope is going to be $600-$700.

I have 3 pretty decent rifles and scopes that I've put together that I have $1000+ invested in. But they were all bought used as were the McMillan stocks on them. The optics, at MSRP would be in the $500-$600 range, but I managed to find deals on them for about 1/2 that. Buying the same rifles, stocks and optics new would be $2000+.

I can put together my dream rifle for under $2500. So I guess $2500 is where it starts getting expensive to me.

I could spend as much as I like on any gun now that I'm older and well established....But as a child we were quite poor so I was taught to be thrifty......In my mind $1000 is still pretty darn expensive so that's how I voted.

I have quite a few rifles and on average I spend about $1600 all in. It varies some but that's about right for me.

Optics aside, what you get for more money is really more refinement and nicer stocks and such.

I picked $2500

I voted for $1,000. I am frugal and typically try to find bargains, particularly when shopping for hobby items. The rifle I hunted with this past season was a Marlin XL7 bolt action in .270 Win. that I purchased new a couple years ago for $259.00. I have mounted on it a Nitrex TR-1 3-9x40 scope that I ordered online for $99.99. I left my Winchester Ultimate Shadow Model 70 .270 WSM with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope at home. The left at home combo would have broken my expensive level, even though I got a deal on the Zeiss ($279 on sale). I took the Marlin because it shoots better and is easier to pack than the Model 70. I also prefer it's trigger (similar to Savage's Accu-Trigger) to the Model 70.
I may try to upgrade the Marlin next season with a new Hogue stocked Ruger Hawkeye that I scored from CDNN for $449. I haven't gotten around to mounting a scope on it yet, but if I don't like it, I also grabbed a synthetic stock Hawkeye in .,308 Win at the same time and place for $499. I believe these Ruger Hawkeyes were solid bargains and I really need to get their scopes mounted and start working up loads, but at the same time am tempted to keep them new unfired as an investment, since Ruger has announced their production being discontinued since everyone seems to be buying the cheaper American Rifles.

I used to be able to buy whatever I wanted. I had a couple of rifles built that cost north of 1000. The most expensive rifle I ever bought off a rack was a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. Nowadays 500 is expensive.

The most I ever paid for a collectible was $550 for an 1896 Krag carbine in 2000-no saddle ring on the stock. The most I paid for one my SIG SHRs was $500 (I think).

I consider an expensive rifle at $2,500, but that would include a scope and mounts. None of my rifles cost that much, but if my accurizing time, Timney trigger, custom stock and scope were included, one would have made it.

I compete. I want to win. I go to matches that are 80% amateur, and the only rifles there are built rifles. The carpenter in my squad has $10k in his rifle. It’s his passion. He doesn’t have a Harley or a sports car. He has a rifle.

Who buys a $60,000 truck that’s worth $20,000 in a few years? Buy a $5000 rifle, throw a new barrel on it when you’ve shot it out and it’s at least worth $5000. The glass will be worth 2/3 of what you paid for it at least. Yea, $1000 for a sporter rifle is a ton of money, but if you shoot competitively your perspective changes.

Just rifle, not optics, I draw the line at $700. Usually I buy black Friday Savage 10, 110, etc. And Rem 700 a at the big box stores. (Under dealer cost) Sell the barrels off them. Rebarrel with Lilja a or Shilen. Blue print the 700. Use precision faces andrecoil lugs on the Savages. Usually get a tack driving custom together for under $700.

Last edited:
The question reminds me of the political one that talks about the "rich." Anybody who makes more money than me is "rich." I've observed folks in my generation (born 1942-46 or so) more likely grew up in a family of blue collar workers who had to closely watch their finances and eat a lot of left overs, taking care of their belongings and not wasting anything. I get the impression those born after 1970 or so don't have that same philosophy. I know of two guys in that category where I shoot who have rifles that cost well over $2500 and one has a reloading room with a bench and cabinets made of solid walnut. So a lot has to be considered when reviewing the answers here. I have he receipt for the Winchester Model 12 in 16Ga that my Mom and Dad bought me in 1959. It was $97. Working together they made $4000 a year. I wonder what that translates to in today's dollars.

$1000 to $2500 is a big jump. I'd pick a radio button that was either $1200 or $1500.

With the options given, I guess I'd have to pick $1000 because it is closer than $2500.

Actually expensive is just a word. Depends mostly on your income! Also will depend on your indebtedness. If you make $10 hr and have a family, $300 is expensive for a rifle. If you make in excess of $100,000 a year, I would suspect that rifles are not expensive unless custom made and then not really a problem. Expensive anything depends on your income!

At $2500, you're just entering the custom rifle realm and that's expensive.. With good optics, even an entry level rifle will put you into the $800+ range, the better production rifles with premium optics push it to a $1500 minimum.
I must say at this point, that may of todays entry level rifles, even though they are lacking aesthetics, can and do perform better than many premium rifles of 20 yrs ago.

I've purchased 2 guns that were all in more than $1000 ever and I honestly regret one. Anything past $1000 likely won't happen again, at least not any time soon. We're currently spoiled in a time of mail in rebates and competitive prices.

Back