Police officer shoots himself while demonstrating gun safety

To all (and I know that I'm not a "paid mother hen" here)... please don't let this slide into a LEO (fed or local) bashing.

What the guy did was stupid, LEO (fed), or not. Dasmi has it right on what was discussed elsewhere but it did go down really quickly due to the bashing.

What we need to do is learn from what happened, and I will use Dasmi's report as a basis:

1) He opened the chamber, looked inside, showed the weapon to someone off camera, proclaimed it unloaded, then closed the chamber.

*Yes, it was unchambered but, it was still loaded. Anytime that ammo is ready to be used, the gun IS LOADED in my opinion.

2) He never removed the mag

*The start of the bad mojo. A lesson to be learned here folks, if the mag is still in the gun, when you close the slide, a round is now in the chamber.

3) If you look closely, right before he snaps the slide shut, right as he tilts the weapon forward, you can see the shine of a round ready to be chambered.

*I didn't see this but from Dasmi (knowing him) and from the other board, I have no reason to doubt this (I wear glasses so I'm blind :( on close ups of things :( ).

4) He pointed the weapon at his thigh.

*Never aim or point a firearm at anything that you aren't willing to destroy (or shoot).

5) For some reason, he put his finger on the trigger.

*Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

6) For some reason, he pulled the trigger.

*Ditto

7) Luckiest man on the planet that he didn't kill a kid.

*Double Ditto

8) Should be fired.

*In this case, I agree. He was not paying attention to any of the safety rules, he endangered children, and then when he was hit he tried to play it off as "I should be the only one on the street with a gun" (before the accident) and then "accidents happen to everyone, even me, so therefore you shouldn't touch a gun" (driving a fear of the gun into the kids).

Things happen, and now I understand why so many went off on me when they thought I had done something stupid, but if you mind the rules like they should, this would have just been a hole in the floor and a very embarressing lesson learned, but he should still be fired or placed away from kids/adults if he is allowed a gun.

Wayne

I just watched it again. After he explains that accidents happen, he says, "now I'll probably never ever be allowed to show guns again...Brian, bring out that other gun." I think he was right :)

oops

Oops didn't realize you guys already posted this in "tactics" forum.
I posted it in the handfun forum.

1) That was a Glock 22 in .40 cal, no such thing as a Glock 40

2) Although the glock was unloaded at first by locking the slide back then loading in a full magazine of bullets then releasing slide loads the handgun. In fact that is the standard procedure for loading a semiautomatic handgun.

3) Before pulling trigger visually check the chamber by pulling slide back a little bit to ensure no bullet is in chamber. Although you may not see a round in the chamber at first if you follow the normal procedue to load a handgun assume the handgun is loaded.

4) First rule of gun safety always keep finger off trigger until you are ready to shoot

5) Second rule of gun safety esp if you are about to pull trigger point in safe direction (your own thigh does not qualify)

6) After scaring a room full of kids half to death by firing off a handgun round in an enclosed space into your own thigh after you claimed it was unloaded do not attempt to convince kids that your assault rifle that you are about to pick up is unloaded as well.

But you have to give him kudos for trying to save the presentation and act like nothing is wrong after shooting himself in the thigh....

Also, loved it when the kids were like put the rifle down please!!

This is one reason why I don't have my finger on the trigger, nor point my pistol at my leg.

I'm still shocked that the agent or his partner didn't check the chamber. :confused: :confused:

While I agree it was a bonehead move, and he should certainly lose the privledge of ever teaching gun safety again to ANYONE, I don't think he should be fired. Accidents do happen, to ALL of us. No matter how many armchair commandos here believe they are perfect with a gun, the fact is that IT CAN HAPPEN. To the best and most highly trained. Everyone is capable of a brain fart. Make him go through heavy training, and restrict his privledge in non duty situations like that, but don't fire the guy. I am sure as an agent he has put in alot of time busting BG's, to even be picked to DO that presentation. Hes prolly a good cop that made a mistake.....

again first rule of gun safety

keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

as for a safety on a glock there is none as demostrated by this moron.

in the trigger Ha! Ha! Ha!

the only firearms discharged during the Tulsa Gun show Have been glocks. 1 by a stupid gunsmith using a live round and one by a LEO.

Safety in the trigger Ha!

My sons Henry mini bolt 22 is safer than a glock

that moron is lucky the didn't injure one of the kids.

I teach kids gun safety and shooting as well as CCW classes to adults and I have never allowed any live ammo in the classroom. If that rule is broken they are dismissed and never repeat never allowed to return and no refund is given.

as for a safety on a glock there is none as demostrated by this moron.
Yes, there IS a safety. The gun WILL NOT fire unless you pull the trigger. This was not the GLOCK's fault. It was the fault of a careless person having a loaded weapon, pointed where it should not have been pointed, having his finger on the trigger, and pulling the trigger. Entirely HUMAN error.

Funny. I was at a tulsa gun show when a rifle went off. It is not only glocks, no matter how much you may hate them. It takes carelessness --that's all -- with any gun.

As soon as he said, "this is unloaded" referring to the Glock, I knew it was goin downhill from there. Its a shame, but he says it true: accidents DO happen. they are avoidable, and usualy due to some careless act, but they DO happen. :( sad though.

People!! It wasn't an accident! It was negligence. An accident would be setting the gun on the table and having it go off. He failed to unload the weapon, failed to see that it was unloaded, failed to point his muzzle in a safe direction, failed to keep his finger off the trigger, failed to refrain from pulling the trigger. Not an accident.

People!! It wasn't an accident!

Main Entry: ac·ci·dent

Pronunciation: 'ak-s&-d&nt, -"dent; 'aks-d&nt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin accident-, accidens nonessential quality, chance, from present participle of accidere to happen, from ad- + cadere to fall -- more at CHANCE

1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
b : lack of intention or necessity : CHANCE <met by accident rather than by design>

2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance
b : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident>
c : an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought

3 : a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the accident of nationality>

The guy should be fired and here is why......

If this had happend anywhere else(the range, at the office, on the job somewhere) this might be forgivable, maybe! But the fact that he was at a school and in the presence of little people would have put me on HIGHER ALERT not less of one :mad: ! No matter how "familiar" you are with your weapon it does not exclude the use of common sense......Pick a number and see if that rule was broken and I bet it was.....Pulling the trigger is NEVER an accident :eek: :mad: ! He should not ever be allowed to touch a firearm outside of the home to keep the public safe.....Again anywhere else I might say give him a second chance but to be so negligent in the operation of your weapon as to shoot yourself and scare a buncha kids, this guy would pay for my kids therapy :eek: ......Wouldn't we be arrested if firearm we had went of in front of kids in public? Double standard to say the least :( ...

What is the Webster's Dictionary Definition for "Idiot"?

Main Entry: id·i·ot

Pronunciation: 'i-dE-&t
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French ydiote, from Latin idiota ignorant person, from Greek idiOtEs one in a private station, layman, ignorant person, from idios one's own, private; akin to Latin suus one's own -- more at SUICIDE

1 usually offensive : a person affected with idiocy
2 : a foolish or stupid person
- idiot adjective

Cop shoot?

The definition is not being a qualified instructor. LEA from where? Mumble, and wave a handgun around. Did it look even remotely like anything you have ever attended. When was somebody going to give him some first aid? Nobody took over and cleared the room. The entire thing was a debacle.( Besides, a real cop would have fallen down and claimed sombody else shot him :rolleyes: )

dasmi: People!! It wasn't an accident! It was negligence
TheeBadOne
Quote:
People!! It wasn't an accident!

Main Entry: ac·ci·dent

Pronunciation: 'ak-s&-d&nt, -"dent; 'aks-d&nt
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin accident-, accidens nonessential quality, chance, from present participle of accidere to happen, from ad- + cadere to fall -- more at CHANCE

1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
b : lack of intention or necessity : CHANCE <met by accident rather than by design>

2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance
b : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident>
c : an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought

3 : a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the accident of nationality>

Hey, you're both right. But considering this is a gun forum, there is a difference in "accidental discharge" and a "negligent discharge". Just go look up the thread "Have you ever had an AD?". Many people made it clear they had an AD and not an ND.

There is a difference in the two terms that is certanly well pointed out and made clear. So which is it? Are they two seperate terms, or are they the same? I'm only asking because I never considered the difference until I got to this board and I wanna know.

It seems to me that a discharge becomes negligent when the person has disobeyed at least one of the 4 Rules.

Accidental discharge- gun go bang with no fault of user
Negligent discharge- user pulls trigger believing gun no go bang and is wrong

One you could be sued for the other is an accident and you could be sued for :( ....

Back