Pocket holster for a S&W 642

nemesis,

I also use a Galco horsehide pocket holster with my 642. After about a year's worth of daily carry the top of the frame, outside edges of the trigger guard, and the leading lower frame edges (below the crane) are all shiny and rounded. The cylinder also has extensive and irregular rub marks. I still like the holster for the security, ease of draw, concealment, and positive positioning of the gun it provides. I am now in the process of purchasing a 2nd 642 to spread out the wear. I may eventually look for another pocket holster but I am pretty much just writing off the finish wear as the price of this mode of carry...

Coffee

Though it's considered "cheap", the Uncle Mike's nylon holster is a pretty durable holster. I have used one for years with my blue Bodyguard and I can't see any holster wear.

Looks like somebody likes all of them. I'll vote for the Uncle Mikes. It stabilizes the pistol (S&W 649) without adding weight. It does not move around in my pocket. It helps insure that change which might wind up in that pocket, will not get into the pistol trigger. I helps keep the lint out of the pistol. It keeps the pistol in the right position for access. It is inexpensive. It helps conceal the pistol as it changes the contour and prevent imprinting.

PigPen

I've tried the Nemesis, too much extra material at the bottom, got rid of it.

I had a K&D, and RJ Hedley, they both were good, but still felt there was too much material.

The KRAMER in my opinion is the best I have tried, and I have no plans to look for another pocket holster for my J-frame Smiths. It is very well made, holds the gun upright, and has the very minimal amount of material. Its costly, but to me, KRAMER IS THE BEST.

I've tried a couple of more expensive pocket holsters and in my pockets, you can't beat that cheapo Uncle Mike's pocket holster for anything.

If I had it to do over again I'd have bought the Uncle Mike's first.

FIST Pocket Holster

IMG_1190.jpg

I have bought Uncle Mike holsters for other guns and did not like them at all, but with the 642 pocket holster, it carries perfectly for me. Another vote for Uncle Mike's. $9.99 at local gun shop.

I own a Don Hume pocket holster. Great holster and it does a good job keeping the S&W 637 upright in my jacket pocket. As far as pants pocket, I don't know how anyone pulls it off. To me, it always looks like a gun in a pocket holster in my front pocket. I don't even try it any more.

Kreyzhorse: I know how you feel. The way I have dealt with the printing issue is to wear looseer or thicker trousers and to go to an auto (Kel-Tec P11), which is flatter. On occasion, I have stuck something like an index card on the outside of the holster.

I made myself a little holster early on in my amatuer holster-making. Dye job is a little iffy, but it's quite functional.

holster_642_6059.jpg

The stitched part at the top is designed to be a thumb push - starts the gun out of the holster when drawing.

I think if I made another I'd use some thinner leather.

High Noon Pocket Grabber for .38

After eight years of every day use , the grabbing material on this leather holster has worn out! So...back to the factory for a retread job. This holster has served very well with my carry of the S&W 638.

Over the years, I've regularly carried three different revolvers, a Colt Cobra, S&W M36, and S&W 442 in the same Galco Horsehide Pocket holster and none have suffered any finish wear that I'm able to see. In fact, the only appreciable wear I've noticed was to the left side of the factory rubber grips on the 442 from where it rubbed against the denim on the inside of my jeans pocket.

That being said, the Galco Horsehide Pocket holster is rather expensive for what it is and you could probably get one that's just as good for significantly less money. I just already happen to have one and it works well enough that I see no reason to buy something different.

Back