Pocket holster for a S&W 642

rellascout

Well my loving wife came through for me on my birthday!!!!!

New 642 with crimson trace grips. Now all I need is the perfect pocket holster for my new bug.

Sorry no pics but you know what they look like. :)

My 49 bodyguard rides in a Don Hume pocket holster I like leather and DH holsters have given me good service I have several of his Pocket holsters.For different pistols. Also IWB.

Remove those huge laser grips and put on a pair of small wood side panels, fore-go the pocket holster, and just drop the gun into your pocket. Keep adding bulk to that thing and you'll end up needing a belt holster to comfortably carry it.

I've also changed my mind about pocket holsters, just carry it in the pocket. This works well with Wranglers and by the time you wear a hole in them just get a new pair. As far as the draw I think pocket holster do more bad than good.

Interesting. I have gone the other way. After carrying without a holster for years I decided to try the cheap UM unit. It keeps the gun in the correct position and adds next to no bulk. Also gotten used to the trigger being covered in the pocket. Suppose it depends on the pants and the size of the pocket.

With respect to Nortonics:

I would HIGHLY (as in, don't pocket carry without one) a pocket holster. Without one, a gun will tend to rotate in the pocket, winding up with the grip down. The trigger is exposed, increasing the risk of something getting inside the trigger guard and either jamming the gun or setting up an ND (I know you should not carry anything but the gun in that pocket, but...). A holster will help reduce the amount of crud that gets into the gun. Last, but not least, a holster can smooth out the shape of a gun in the pocket, aiding concealment.

The Crimson Trace grips are no bulkier than regular boot grips. They only cost as much as a whole gun (good value, tho).

DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster

I have a 642. I have tried & have 5 pocket holsters for it. The DeSantis Nemesis the only one I use for pocket carry.

I also have a DeSantis Leather Paddle Holster for it that I like very much.

So check out the NEMESIS

I have had no problems with my Galco pocket holster eating the gun finish.

And........ it is a much better holster than that Uncle Mikes gun sock.

Last edited:
Avoid the Galco horsehide pocket holster. It ate the finish on a 442 and a 642 before I scrapped it.

Do you have any idea of what would cause a horsehide holster to eat the finish on a stainless gun? We have never had reports of this before and we sell horsehide Pocket Holsters in volume. Any data you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have any idea of what would cause a horsehide holster to eat the finish on a stainless gun? We have never had reports of this before and we sell horsehide Pocket Holsters in volume. Any data you can provide is appreciated. Thanks

Non-starter.

Neither is a stainless gun. The 442 is "blued", or what passes for blued today. Actually black. The 642 has a silver-coating-finish. The cylinder is stainless, that's it.

Both have a finish that can be eaten, and I've seen several 342s and 642s that look terrible.

Here's mine that Kevin at K & D Holsters made for me. Grey Elephant with the black leather to match the grips. Works and looks great.
kdholsters.com

Pocket642.jpg

Back