Pocket Gun Competition

In other news, another co-worker may be joining me at the April match. Brad has been bending his ear over it since this past Saturday's match and he's wanting to have a go with his M&P9c in the discreet auto division. Pretty sure Brad will be back as well. He's hooked :). Me giving him crap about my beating him and his semi with my wheelgun has him determined to turn it around next time.

It's a great idea as IDPA is dead set against realistic bug usage. Said so in their mag.

I've shot IDPA with a 642. My view was to get trigger time with the gun in an setting which is not the square range.

You can do it, if you don't really worry about winning. However, some folks do well with such like Claude Werner.

I support the effort totally. I think IDPA is silly not to figure it out for their matches - they are going a touch IPSC in orientation, IMHO.

One of the most fun IDPA matches I have shot was a Bug match held once a year in Mt. Pleasant, Michiagan in the fall. They shoot 5 stages just before sunset, have a supper, then shoot 5 stages in the dark. Its out in the country and there are no lights so it is DARK. They have a shoot house also, going in and clearing rooms is a real challenge. I shoot a 637, the reloads are very hard trying to find the holes with the speedloader in the dark.

I take two lights, a Surefire to flash when shooting, and a Maglight for replentishing the speedloaders and scoreing.

The PCCA sounds interesting, if there was a match close I would try it. I'm easy though, if someone was holding a Red Ryder match, I'm in!

Thanks for all the thumbs up guys, next PCCA match at Caswell will have a low light and a no light stage (in bay 3,IDPA State match stage we will use in two parts ).

What a great idea!

I'll be trying to attend your next match with my first J-frame, 640-1.

I like the realistic concept! Sounds like fun too! Regards, 18DAI

ive been looking to do some competitions in dfw but dont know where to start and this is right up EVERYONEs alley. there are tons of pocket pistols out there.

when it gets to dfw ill be there

franks,

It's a very realistic competition in that what most people carry these days are the little pocket guns or very compact belt guns.

franks,
Would love to have a club in DFW area become part of the PCCA family, ask your local range, this is the best way to get things started,most of the time only when people ask clubs to hold an event do they look into it.

Regards,
Dean

Thanks for posting this... I'll have to try this course of fire with S&W 649. :D

649.jpg

Pocket Carry Competition Association

I missed this discussion the first time around.

I shot an IDPA classifier match last Saturday night. One of the SOs had a copy of the rule book for the Pocket Carry Competition Association and was showing it around.

http://pocketcarrycomp.com/default.aspx

Looks like PCCA has taken the (somewhat dormant) concept of competition with back-up guns that IDPA began and formalized it and developed it to the next logical step.

Rumor is one of the Milwaukee area gun shops with an indoor range may become a PCCA affiliate. That would be interesting.

The targets seemed interesting too . . .

Now that CCW has become legal for private citizens in Wisconsin (finally) I think there would be some interest in a competition with simple quick stages of fire suited for small concealment pistols & revolvers.

Back