Please help me find a revolver or three for the wife.

Personally, for snakes as well as two and 4 legged critters, I would look for a 3" steel S&W along the lines of a model 60 or similar

Although I consider myself a "revolver" guy, a .22 LR target pistol should be a semi-auto. Here is why:

A S&W Model 35 has the 6" barrel you are looking for, and one from the '50s or 60's is what you want. A nice one is about $1600.

You could get a Model 17 Masterpiece new for $1150 or 617 for $915 but... well, I expect you'd feel another $300 for a basic trigger job and tune would be worth it. That's one reason the old ones are sought after.

For that kind of money, you can have a semi-custom Volquartsen Classic. (Walther GSP expert.. $2k will take you to nationals) BUT... but...

Ruger Mark iv target, with models from $400 to $600 at Buds is what you want.
Some may say the Browning Buckmark is their choice.
I prefer the Ruger because there are so many aftermarket trigger group kits you can install yourself for $150 that the Buckmark lacks.
Actually, I prefer the Ruger Mark ii or III series because you can get a nice used one for $300 or a used competition model with ultradot sight for $500 right now on Gunbroker. And drop in a $130 trigger kit but it probably doesn't need it. Although... the mark iv is already drilled and tapped for an optics rail.. so... anyways, I have a cutomized Norinco copy of a Walther target gun that you just can't buy anymore. Target shooting used to be a thing in America!

The accuracy of a cheap Ruger semi-auto runs rings around that of a $1000 revolver. There is simple less wiggle in a blowback design.

Like automatic transmission and manual... use the right tool for the job. Semi auto pistols have only been around for about 120 years... give this new-fangled tech a chance. For .22.... semi auto is the way to go.

Only disadvantage is the semi auto throws the brass into the weeds.
Thanks. When I said she wants a 22 revolver for target shooting, it's more for fun plinking and some paper. She's not trying to shoot tiny groups on regulation targets. She (and I) just like the challenge of shooting progressively smaller targets. If regulation 22 pistol target shooting was the goal, you're right a revolver wouldn't be the most practical choice.

Welcome to the world of "finding your walking about handgun."

The simple answer is
"Get a nice used S&W Model 19, 357 Magnum will shoot .38 special all day.... $800."
or
"I would rather have a K-38 Masterpiece (.38 special) for.. about $850 or a nice older model 14 or 15, used. Say what you want, but .38 special is not weak tea."

Or, you could decide that single action is really the way to go for field use.

A Ruger Single Six in .22 LR and .22 WMR one could argue covers a lot of your needs. No one here is going to volunteer to stand in front of a .22 WMR.

If you think a single action shoots too slow, look up some youtube videos of Cowboy Action shooters showing you how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

Personally, my choices for the field, after many years are:
Ruger LCRX in .38 special 3" because it's so handy
Ruger Bisley Single Six 7 1/7 inch .32 H&R Magnum because I reload and these things are simply amazingly fun and just the right size.
Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 5 1/2 inch .44 Magnum because having tried the whole range of Blackhawks and Vaqueros and this is the one I kept for many reasons.
Ruger Bearcat .22. Because it's just so darned fun. It's a little jewel.
Bersa Thunder .380. It's nicer than the Walther PPK and I owned a PPK. Anyone that thinks .380 is not enough I have no use for. Very accurate, great trigger, but it throws the brass in the weeds. Otherwise another great pocket pistol.

The biggest disappointment for me ever was the S&W 317 kit gun which was terribly inaccurate for a freakin' expensive little gun and S&W never made it right after a trip back to the factory. It soured me on S&W and made me a Ruger fan for life. I have owned a heck of a lot of handguns... which I swapped for others, which got swapped for others.. keeping only my favorites along the way. Your mileage will vary, and your path will be different!

Last edited:
If regulation 22 pistol target shooting was the goal, you're right a revolver wouldn't be the most practical choice.

A S&W K-22 Target Masterpiece, shot single action, will run rings around most semis... ;)

I'm another NY refugee that just got a place in Arkansas. There's plenty of room for shooting and a little homestead. Being a (conservative) New Yorker the rest of my life, I know almost nothing about handguns. My wife however has a real interest in handguns. She's even rented some at ranges during her travels. She's determined that she likes revolvers over automatics. She also likes to hike, loves to garden and hates snakes.

I want to get her a small revolver for snakes that she can keep in her pocket for gardening and walking around the property. I'm thinking 22?

I also want to get her a small a small revolver for two legged snakes outside the property. I'm thinking 38spl/357?

I'm wondering if these first two can be done by one revolver.

Since she likes to shoot revolvers for fun I'd definitely like to get her something nice, that's full sized and shoots both double and single action. Not sure which caliber I'm thinking low recoiling centerfire. Not as anemic as 22lr but something fun to shoot plates with and alot. Not sure on caliber. Readily available and cheap is preferred for something that will be shot a lot.

I know this is a real can of worms to open. I don't expect serious in depth information on all the models that might work for each scenario. I'm looking more for general selection guidelines that might be helpful. Things like caliber, barrel length and brands to look for and stay away from. I look on GunBroker.com and there's literally thousands of pistols in each caliber that range from $160 to over 2k. I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit. I'm not made of money but I'll spend money when needed. I'm figuring I'm ok if the guns average in the $600 range.

Thank you very much
Ron

How about this one? https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-163070

revolver for the wife

I purhased my wife a charter arms 32 mag. is right up there with 38s but not even half the recoil.

I reload so finding ammo is not a problem. Tried a 38 but that 2 inch barrel had too much recoil.

And being in Arkansas might even run across 32 S & W

I purhased my wife a charter arms 32 mag. is right up there with 38s but not even half the recoil.

I reload so finding ammo is not a problem. Tried a 38 but that 2 inch barrel had too much recoil.

And being in Arkansas might even run across 32 S & W
Thanks but I can't find 32 caliber snake shot and I'm not ready to handload.

Thanks moon falcon for the recommendations. Those s&w are DA only. I'm gonna get her a Ruger LCRX in 38 special. It'll be small and light and I can get snake shot for it.
Be well all.
Ron

I would look strongly at the LCRx and the Taurus 856. The LCRx for all the reasons previous mentioned. I like think the Taurus 856 has come a long way quality wise. Taurus offers a light weight 6 shot revolver in 2" and 3". These are very similar to a j frame in size.

Just tossing this out there.....

A lot of great advice here and I think the multiple call outs to let her pick is wonderful advice. Guns are a very personal choice and fit differs for each of us. Recoil with one gun will be perceived wildly differently by two people shooting the same ammunition. It all comes down to what feels right and what works for an individual versus the opinions of people who have never and most likely will never meet.

One thing I didn't see in the thread that might fit the bill with one gun between a 38/357 and a 22 rimfire (LR or Magnum) is a 327 federal. A lot of emotion tied up in this cartridge but ignoring the unconditional love and hatred it elicits there are some advantages. First it can fire 327, 32 HR magnum, 32 long, 32 short, and some revolvers can fire 32 acp. For the most part you can find 327 in the same size frames you can get 38/357 in although you generally gain a round. Ruger (and maybe others I'm not familiar with) has also made smaller framed revolvers in the caliber. 32 short and long out of a 327 has, to me, very little recoil while 327 feels comparable to me to lighter 357 loads. Again totally personal preference. I like 327 but am not a loyalist like many are and recognize there are some downsides. 327 is no where near as available as 357 and there are not as many loadings available. Cost is also higher than 357 in general and certainly higher than 38. Even the lower power offerings tend to be higher priced simply due to the fact they are not as popular. While I have never had trouble finding 327 and 32 HR some people have. Again just a general thought.

Good luck and I hope your wife finds what she wants. I'm a huge revolver fan and prefer them to semi autos. I have found my tastes and favorite revolvers have changed over time and variety is a wonderful thing. So so many wonderful options out there from multiple manufactures. One call out don't discount the "budget" brands of Taurus, Charter, Rossi, and RIA. Some of these brands are budget because they do cut some corners either in fit and finish, materials, quality control, or customer service. With that being said I've found all of them have offered quality models and should not be overlooked out of hand. I own guns from all of those brands and for the price many are wonderful. A Charter Arms Bulldog has spent many days on my hip on trail hikes and a Taurus was my first introduction to the 454. Ruger, Smith, Kimber, Colt, and a number of boutique brands make wonderful revolvers and they are easy to recommend. With a little research, a close inspection, and some know how the "cheaper" brands can be solid purchases as well. If you are not 100% sure what you want exploring and trading in sub $500 guns might be a great way to buy with out remorse if you are not certain you know exactly what you want.

Just tossing this out there.....

A lot of great advice here and I think the multiple call outs to let her pick is wonderful advice. Guns are a very personal choice and fit differs for each of us. Recoil with one gun will be perceived wildly differently by two people shooting the same ammunition. It all comes down to what feels right and what works for an individual versus the opinions of people who have never and most likely will never meet.

One thing I didn't see in the thread that might fit the bill with one gun between a 38/357 and a 22 rimfire (LR or Magnum) is a 327 federal. A lot of emotion tied up in this cartridge but ignoring the unconditional love and hatred it elicits there are some advantages. First it can fire 327, 32 HR magnum, 32 long, 32 short, and some revolvers can fire 32 acp. For the most part you can find 327 in the same size frames you can get 38/357 in although you generally gain a round. Ruger (and maybe others I'm not familiar with) has also made smaller framed revolvers in the caliber. 32 short and long out of a 327 has, to me, very little recoil while 327 feels comparable to me to lighter 357 loads. Again totally personal preference. I like 327 but am not a loyalist like many are and recognize there are some downsides. 327 is no where near as available as 357 and there are not as many loadings available. Cost is also higher than 357 in general and certainly higher than 38. Even the lower power offerings tend to be higher priced simply due to the fact they are not as popular. While I have never had trouble finding 327 and 32 HR some people have. Again just a general thought.

Good luck and I hope your wife finds what she wants. I'm a huge revolver fan and prefer them to semi autos. I have found my tastes and favorite revolvers have changed over time and variety is a wonderful thing. So so many wonderful options out there from multiple manufactures. One call out don't discount the "budget" brands of Taurus, Charter, Rossi, and RIA. Some of these brands are budget because they do cut some corners either in fit and finish, materials, quality control, or customer service. With that being said I've found all of them have offered quality models and should not be overlooked out of hand. I own guns from all of those brands and for the price many are wonderful. A Charter Arms Bulldog has spent many days on my hip on trail hikes and a Taurus was my first introduction to the 454. Ruger, Smith, Kimber, Colt, and a number of boutique brands make wonderful revolvers and they are easy to recommend. With a little research, a close inspection, and some know how the "cheaper" brands can be solid purchases as well. If you are not 100% sure what you want exploring and trading in sub $500 guns might be a great way to buy with out remorse if you are not certain you know exactly what you want.
Thanks for the nice reply. I read about the 32 because it was recommended earlier. It seems like a great caliber. Unfortunately the revolver is mostly for snakes while out working on the property. Unfortunately there's no commercially available snakeshot for 32s. Yesterday I ordered her/us a 38lrcrx snubby.

For a daily carry I ordered her a P365-380
Thanks all for your input.

Back