Please help me find a revolver or three for the wife.

I know you indicated 4" for the 38 Sp, but most new 4" revolvers are a tad large and/or heavy for carry. Many of the models in this class are being marketed more for a specific class of target shooting.

Even the smaller guns like the SP-101 reflect the above (I have a 4.2" in 327).

When I took my wife shopping she was not really happy with anything in the 4" category. Then she picked up a 3" LCRx and it came home with us. The original black grips came off and purple ones went on. It is a very light gun (light is nice for carry, but use 130 gr or low power wadcutter ammo for practice). It is a very durable and trouble free gun with a good trigger. The 3" barrel is long enough to be fun to shoot at the range.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

I am not suggest you give up on 4" options, but am suggesting that you see if can do some "side by side" comparison with something in the 3" range.

There are some similar 3" guns from other makers, but I am biased given how much we like the LCRx.

DA trigger

Be wary when selecting the .22, a small frame size and the healthy whack required for rimfire ignition make for a bad combination. The J frame size .22's tend to be two men and a boy double action triggers. IE: 12 Lbs. or more. That trigger pull relegates them to shooting single action 90% of the time.
All the trigger jobs in the world can't fix what is a geometry problem. If your lady insists on shooting double action I would lean toward a larger revolver.

I wish this forum had like buttons so I could thank you all for your input.

Ricklin she wants a full sized 22 revolver for target shooting. I'm sure there has to be a full sized 22 revolver with a good trigger.

P Flados We won't rule out the 3" 357/38 revolver but I can't see how 1 inch more barrel would make a weight an issue if she's owb holstering it or keeping it in a big purse/shoulder bag.

Good deal, have her try D/A dry fire with snap caps for guns you are considering. Other than the S+W kit guns, what else is on the market? Nothing against the S+W but they are pretty dear.

Kimber K6S or variant

Budget is flexible but I'd prefer to spend under $1600 total (for both guns). I really prefer to buy new. Thanks
WOW, in that case, take a hard look at the new Kimber K6S or variants. In MHO, it is the finest new revolver off the shelf and that is saying alot. It's a 6-shot, not 5-shot .38/357. It's going to cost you but you willl have more that enough change, for the 22LR/22WMR. Good luck to you and your spouse. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Kimber K6s has a 4" target model. They are well made and a reasonable size for carry. For the .22 an NAA Black Widow might do the trick. It's very small and light. Load the .22 WMR cylinder with snake shot and use the .22lr cylinder for practice and plinking.

A full sized .22 revolver with a great trigger and excellent sights? Model 17 S&W. Not even close.

The LCRx I recommended is 38 SP +P, not 357. There are some nice 357s that are light, but they are more $$$$. And very few people report that the like to shoot full power 357 magnums in these guns. Many report that they tried 357s and just switched to 38 Sp.

I shoot a mix of magnum and non-magnum stuff. If someone is ok with the extra size/weight, a 357 magnum 6 shot 4" or longer is probably a reasonable choice. In anything smaller or lighter, I recommend a 38 Sp only gun.

rms65 said:
Ricklin she wants a full sized 22 revolver for target shooting. I'm sure there has to be a full sized 22 revolver with a good trigger.
Probably not, and not within your budget range.

You have a better chance of finding her a pink unicorn.

But for target shooting she would probably be shooting it in single action, so perhaps the dreadfully heavy DA trigger on most rimfire revolvers won't be an issue.

Airlite

I have not read all posts nor the exact interests of the OP, I suppose I should before I comment. But...I have of late been fascinated by the S&W Airlite revolvers in .22 lr and .22 mag. The snubby's supposedly weight less than 12 oz's.....loaded.

Seems I read there are 6 and 8 shot models. I cannot say on barrel lengths, the ones I've seen on video portray snubby's with good sights for what they are. I can't advise on trigger pull, as I've never handled one. The .22 mag snubby supposedly delivers .22 lr RIFLE velocities. But .22 WMR ammo is expensive, or more expensive than .22 lr anyhow and nothing one would plink with I wouldn't think.

Something attractive about a revolver weighing less than a Coke.

“The” wife ??

Great thread. My only suggestion would be to change the title from “ Please help me find a revolver or three for ‘the’ wife.” to Please help me find a revolver or three for “my” wife.

My state trooper daughter pointed out this grammatical issue. :eek:

Trooper Joe

For a full size .22 revolver it'll be hard to beat a Smith 617. The new ones are 10 shot and you can add a red dot without too much work. Getting one of these is on the top of my very long wish list. I have a few of the older variants - a Model 17 and a 100 year old K22. Both of the used ones were much cheaper than a new model and work great. Unfortunately the new ones run $900+. Ruger had a GP100 in .22 but those don't appear to be in stock anywhere and were about the same price.

For the .38 Special there are a few more options. You could go with something like a Taurus 66 or Taurus 82. Or if she really likes the S&W 22 you could save up a bit more and get the S&W Model 66. Or like Pahoo mentioned there is the Kimber DASA or the Colt King Cobra has a few different variants but they also run $900+. Colt had a .22 variant of the King Cobra also but they are new and hard to find.

5 years ago the $800 price range would have worked better. Now the popular name brand revolvers are pushing $1,000 or more.

Thanks #Reddog81. I'm shocked how much disparity there is in revolver prices. They're either really cheap like 200 dollars or 1000 dollars. There's not much in the middle. I'm a rifle guy my most expensive rifle doesn't cost $1000 most of them under $500 and shoot great.

I recently bought a 9mm Hellcat Pro just to have for under $600. It's got a lot more to it mechanically and design wise than a wheel gun. I'm shocked that good revolvers cost more than automatics.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take the wife to a few pawn shops to see what she likes and dislikes. Shopping for handguns on line is like trying to buy boots and clothes online. You can't tell if they fit you before buying them.

Oh well
Take care all
Thanks for the suggestions it looks like I have a lot to learn.
Ron

Thanks #Reddog81. I'm shocked how much disparity there is in revolver prices. They're either really cheap like 200 dollars or 1000 dollars. There's not much in the middle. I'm a rifle guy my most expensive rifle doesn't cost $1000 most of them under $500 and shoot great.

I recently bought a 9mm Hellcat Pro just to have for under $600. It's got a lot more to it mechanically and design wise than a wheel gun. I'm shocked that good revolvers cost more than automatics.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take the wife to a few pawn shops to see what she likes and dislikes. Shopping for handguns on line is like trying to buy boots and clothes online. You can't tell if they fit you before buying them.

Oh well
Take care all
Thanks for the suggestions it looks like I have a lot to learn.
Ron

Good luck finding something she likes.

It is kind of crazy how the single action Heritages can be found for under $100 but to step up to a Colt, S&W or Ruger double action it'll be close to $1,000. FWIW I bought a Heritage "tactical" model last year and for the price it is a decent gun. If you find a nice .38 or .357 maybe you can splurge on it and compromise on a cheaper .22 for the time being. And then get a nice .22 later...

Of course if it's going to be something she uses it might make sense to just pay the higher price.

Ruger SAA 22 convertible for 22LR and 22WMR.

My daughter's first .22 revolver was a S&W kit gun in stainless steel with faux pearl grips.

38 snub nose are quite hard to master. Better off with a 3 inch or 4 inch model.

As others have suggested, let her pick out what she wants.

Strongly recommend the Ruger LCRX 3"

I dearly wish they made them in 4" barrels but for a walking-about gun you simply can't beat the light weight and polymer components. 16 ounces.

.38 Special and don't feel you need any more than cowboy or target loads. It can take +P ammunition but then that 'ugly' black soft grip suddenly becomes lovable and the best thing in the world because +P is a bit of a handful in a 16 ounce pistol.

While the steel framed guns are "nicer", you just can't beat a one pound gun you can toss in the pocket of your jacket. For a trail gun, it's what you have in your pocket that counts, not what you left at home because it's too heavy or nice and shiny to carry around.

They make a .22 LCRX as well, but I have a Bearcat and ... well.. that's an unfair comparison as it's just a cute little cowboy gun.

I had a S&W Model 317 .22 kit gun and my experience with it was so frustrating that I traded it and vowed to never own a S&W again. I have moderated, I would own lots of S&W's made before 1975 or so now if they showed up... so a used model 17 or 617 would be classy and fun. But heavy.

All in all, it's pretty hard to beat a Ruger Wrangler or Heritage for the price. Seriously!

Thanks stinkypete. Very good points made. I'm a fan of practical equipment. Everything you said makes sense to me. It's funny that you suggested that lcrx. I've been researching 38 special revolvers on YouTube and have been looking hard at the LCRX. My wife handled a LCR in a pawn shop but didn't like it because it didn't have a hammer. At the time we didn't know that it could be had with a hammer. I think the 3"LCRX will serve her needs well.

Now to find her a nice stainless/pearl 6" 22 for target/plinking.

Thanks
Be well
Ron

My wife has a 3" Ruger SP101, a 5" Ruger Blackhawk, and a snubby Ruger LCR. If she had to pick one, it would be the SP101. It's loaded with some hot .357 Underwood for defense, but can be shot with light 38's for fun. Tough, rugged, no BS Firearm with some heft. Can shoot anything made for a .357 out of it. She finds the LCR with +P a little too snappy, and of course, the Blackhawk is not what your wife is looking for.
Hope to see some pics of what y'all end up purchasing, especially a gorgeous pearl handled .22

Although I consider myself a "revolver" guy, a .22 LR target pistol should be a semi-auto. Here is why:

A S&W Model 35 has the 6" barrel you are looking for, and one from the '50s or 60's is what you want. A nice one is about $1600.

You could get a Model 17 Masterpiece new for $1150 or 617 for $915 but... well, I expect you'd feel another $300 for a basic trigger job and tune would be worth it. That's one reason the old ones are sought after.

For that kind of money, you can have a semi-custom Volquartsen Classic. (Walther GSP expert.. $2k will take you to nationals) BUT... but...

Ruger Mark iv target, with models from $400 to $600 at Buds is what you want.
Some may say the Browning Buckmark is their choice.
I prefer the Ruger because there are so many aftermarket trigger group kits you can install yourself for $150 that the Buckmark lacks.
Actually, I prefer the Ruger Mark ii or III series because you can get a nice used one for $300 or a used competition model with ultradot sight for $500 right now on Gunbroker. And drop in a $130 trigger kit but it probably doesn't need it. Although... the mark iv is already drilled and tapped for an optics rail.. so... anyways, I have a cutomized Norinco copy of a Walther target gun that you just can't buy anymore. Target shooting used to be a thing in America!

The accuracy of a cheap Ruger semi-auto runs rings around that of a $1000 revolver. There is simple less wiggle in a blowback design.

Like automatic transmission and manual... use the right tool for the job. Semi auto pistols have only been around for about 120 years... give this new-fangled tech a chance. For .22.... semi auto is the way to go.

Only disadvantage is the semi auto throws the brass into the weeds.

Back