Pistol powder supply

Lots and lots of people HAVE to have Unique so it sells out fast. Most of them forget its kissing cousin HERCO so it usually stays in stock much longer..

Lots and lots of people HAVE to have Unique so it sells out fast.

Bullseye; and especially, W231 too.

The last shortage ('13) caught me flat-footed (long story - I'll just say at the time I didn't even know shortages of this type was a thing). At my LGS, W231 was the first to go. I couldn't get any more (HP-38 actually) for over two years. Bullseye showed up a little sooner.

The "magnum slow" (W296, 300MP, etc.) was the least difficult to find.

TiteGroup seemed relatively easy to get for the fast stuff. I think they produce a lot of it.

When this happened back in 2013, I just bought whatever became available in pistol powder, as long as it was well listed in my manuals. So I acquired several jugs of CFEPistol, PowerPistol, Bullseye, Unique, TG, and so on. This turned out to be a good thing, as I eventually learned to put together good recipes for my shooting with all of my powders.

If I absolutely had to pick one or two, it'd probably be TG and CFEPistol. But like I said, these days you may not have the luxury of waiting until specific bottles appear in your neighborhood.

I'm a lot pickier about my rifle and magnum powders, and consequently as soon as I was able (2016?) I bought several 8-lb. jugs of each of my favorite powders for those applications.

of course it's up to you, but I'd just look for the powders everyone else has already listed in this thread, and when any of them became available I'd buy what i could then figure out some good recipes from there.

I've had good results with Titegroup, and like they say -"A little goes a long way" You'll get about 20% more loads.

It meters poorly and double charges are easily possible. If you factor in the cost of guns and ER visits, it's not really very cost effective to try to save money on the cheapest component of pistol reloading by using high energy low volume powders.

It meters poorly and double charges are easily possible. If you factor in the cost of guns and ER visits, it's not really very cost effective to try to save money on the cheapest component of pistol reloading by using high energy low volume powders.
This depends. I've personally never had a double charge or serious problems with metering using TG and I've been using the stuff for about a decade, to the tune of over 9,000+ rounds loaded and fired. Generally it meters to about +/- 0.2 grains out of my crappy Lee powder measure. About the same as CFEPistol as a matter of fact.

But I do agree that care must be taken when using TG; you definitely don't want to get overconfident when using the stuff. But with reasonable caution it's a good powder for the applications listed above.

Titegroup is awesome. Meters great and is accurate. Risk of a double charge is the same as the rest of the fast low-volume powders (it’s not the only popular one).

And now we have a TiteGroup thread

It (TiteGroup) meters poorly and double charges are easily possible.

TiteGroup is a dense, fine powder. The two most important characteristics for consistent metering. TiteGroup meters excellent - way above average. One of the best.

As for double-charges: I load - by far - more 38 Special than any other chambering. Nobody is more atune to the dreaded double-charge than a 38 Special loader (tall case, small charges - most every recipe has double-charge potential). In the case of TiteGroup, some of my 38 target loads have such little powder volume that FIVE charges can fit in the case. Yes, TG takes up very little space (because it's so dense and potent).

Speaking only for myself, the fear of a double-charge is no reason to not use a specific propellant. If you load 38 Special and fear a double charge, that would mean all your ammunition would be with Trail Boss. I check my case fills before bullet placement. I consider it the most important step of safe loading. So I've never understood the logic of power selection based on double-charge potential.

I hate Titegroup, perhaps because 99% of the time I shoot lead bullets. But poor metering is not one of its problems. It's smokey, heats the gun up way too quickly, and you can't see the powder in the case because it doesn't take up much room and it's soot colored. It does meter well though, and it's cheap to use.

TG is probably okay in 9mm and .45 ACP, especially with jacketed bullets. I would definitely avoid it in .38 Special because a double charge looks just like a regular charge in the deep cases.

Stock up on Bullseye or Green Dot. Unique is good too, it's just kinda dirty. AA#5 should be good, but I've never tried it.

WSF is a great powder, but there's not much load data for it for some reason.

Quote:
I've had good results with Titegroup, and like they say -"A little goes a long way" You'll get about 20% more loads.

I have never had any issues with TG through my RCBS powder measure; works great for 9, 38, 32swl, 45

As some have said, whatever powder suits your needs, is currently plentiful, and economical. Powder doesn’t seem to have taken the supply hit that primers have... yet. It’s coming though. Grafs still has a decent selection. Also, for your listed calibers there is a ton of overlap. 700x will give excellent velocity and economy in 45acp and 38 spl. It is serviceable in 9mm as well, though you won’t realize the full velocity potential of the cartridge using that powder. There are other plenty of powders too. Clays, universal, W231, TG... the world is your oyster only worrying about those 3 calibers. HS6 will work in a pinch, but won’t be optimal in 45 or 38 unless you load +p+. Other powders out there as well. I lean toward fast for caliber powder in standard pistol, largely due to economy. 700x is still $18 for a 14 ounce can (and in stock) at grafs as of today, and that will load nearly 1500 rounds of 9mm (1200 of 45). That’s about 1.2 pennies per round in powder for 9mm, and under 1.5 for .45.

Don't buy W231! It's horrible powder! Wretched stuff! Not even good for the flower beds. You'll hate it. If you already have some, send it to me for proper disposal. You're welcome

lol :) now you tell me. I bought 2 pounds yesterday...

TG is great stuff. Accuracy is good, meters like a champ, and is economical to use. It does tend to run hot so plated, coated, or jacketed bullets are best. And if your loading regimen is good a double charge shouldn’t be a problem. I got rid of all of mine after I blew the top off my 627. Not sure about other powders and their behavior with a double charge, but TG is definitely not very forgiving. Luckily no one was hurt other than a scratch on my forehead. I’m not going to go into a lengthy explanation, but it involve a progressive loader that I was having problems with and I did something stupid. I now load on an automatic turret press for pistol and use bulkier powders and have no more issues. It took 34 years for something like this to happen and boy was it an eye opener, I’ve tightened up my safety procedures to be triple sure of things now.

550B reloader. I've had 2 squibs in 26yrs of reloading (about a 6-7yr break in there). Thankfully, never a double charge. I have used TG and like it. After the squibs I changed my process (twice, relearned that one after the break). If something comes off the line I leave that spot empty or clear all processes. Nothing goes back on the line.

The Inline Fabrication skylight LED helps immensely as well.

This depends. I've personally never had a double charge or serious problems with metering using TG and I've been using the stuff for about a decade, to the tune of over 9,000+ rounds loaded and fired. Generally it meters to about +/- 0.2 grains out of my crappy Lee powder measure.

+/- .2gr .....on a 9mm ..... load data separation from "Start Load" to "Do NOT Exceed Load" is .3gr ..... you are going to either be below the start or above the do not exceed, depending upon what you are shooting for, quite often, with that much error, and that tiny window..... whatever, it's your hand, and your gun. Blow 'em up if ya want to....

Looks like W231 is crowd favorite, thanks for the input. I ordered some from Cabelas a week ago ( higher cost per pound but close enough I could pick it up and avoid hazmat fee) but 2 days later they canceled my order.
Found some @ Powder Valley ( lower cost per pound but had to pay hazmat and shipping). 4 pounds is supposed to be delivered on Saturday !

+/- .2gr .....on a 9mm ..... load data separation from "Start Load" to "Do NOT Exceed Load" is .3gr ..... you are going to either be below the start or above the do not exceed, depending upon what you are shooting for, quite often, with that much error, and that tiny window..... whatever, it's your hand, and your gun. Blow 'em up if ya want to....

Nearly 10,000 of them loaded and fired and never had a single issue. But thanks for your concern, it's touching Of course, I figured out a long time ago that being 0.1 grains high or low is insignificant all other things being equal. Never going to get close to damaging a modern gun being off by a tenth.

Edit: So I just looked at Hodgdon's data on 9mm LRN (115 grain), which says: 3.9-4.3 grains of TG. I use 4.1 grains, decided on that load purposefully so that even with the 0.2 grains variance I'd be within limits either way.

The other one I use is for 124 grain, which Hodgdon's has at 3.6-4.1 grains. I use 3.9 grains.

Last edited:
Back