Pistol Caliber Effectiveness from a Medical Point of View

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtd0g

I have worked in medicine now for... Jeeze... 18 years...

My god, has it really been that long?

I spent most of this time working as an EMT and then Paramedic in busy metropolitan areas and then transitioned into Emergency Rooms and Intensive Care Units.

Like the author of THIS article, I have seen a lot of trauma caused by projectiles. I have had a patient dropped onto my stretcher barely alive and been unable to intervene when a .22 LR from 50m away worked its way between his ribs and shredded his aorta. I have held a conversation with a young man who was shot 8 times with .45 ACP including a ding to the head that exposed his brain; he WALKED to our truck and lived. I have seen a 9mm mob-style execution go wrong with a perfectly conscious victim refusing to talk to the police afterwards. I also remember an interesting case where a young man came in after a brutal beating with signs of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and we didn't even realize that he had been shot with a .22 in the head at point-blank range until a radiologist "saw something" in his head film.

While we can all throw up tables and numbers and physics and ballistics tests and videos of gel blocks getting shot in slow motion... Any healthcare professional or individual who has been exposed to trauma will tell you people can survive a tremendous amount of punishment and live while at the same time the body can seem frail and require so little to put it out of commission.

If a projectile is placed correctly it can incapacitate or kill its target. This includes ANY projectile. I was working Kenmore Square in Boston during the 2004 American League Championship Series when the Red Sox beat the Yankees and a good old sports riot ensued. Victoria Snelgrove, a young college student, was caught in crowd dispersal intervention by Boston Police and was struck near the eye with a "Less Than Lethal" pepper spray projectile from an FN 303. The impact caused her to hemorrhage into the brain resulting in her death.

Curtis James Jackson III, also known as the derivative and mediocre rapper "50-cent" was shot 9 times in 2000 while in a car outside of his grandmother's house. The assailant fired a 9mm handgun at close range hitting him in his hand, arm, hip, both legs, chest and left cheek. The dude went on to recover fully and produce terrible music.

The lethality, stopping power, velocity, momentum, kinetic energy, and ballistics of whatever you're shooting is interesting and important stuff to talk about. It is also really nerdy, which I absolutely LOVE. However the first and MOST important aspect of defense, the aspect that is so far ahead of the others as to take up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, is shot placement. If you cannot hit what you want the size of your bullet and muzzle velocity means absolutely nothing.

I chose a 9mm as my daily CCW. Why? Because with my Shield I can put 8 shots into a 3-inch circle at 7-yards in several seconds under stressful conditions from the draw to the last round. My wife chose a .380. Why? Because she can accomplish a similar feat with her Bodyguard... And she thought it was "cute".

If I were going to chose a defensive firearm based on how often I have seen one be lethal beyond repair it would be a 12g shotgun with basically anything metal loaded into it. I have yet to see someone take one of those to a chest and walk away.

To take it a step further the most vicious and disturbing injuries I have seen have been caused by blades...

In any case, if you are struggling to choose which caliber is best for your defense, remember this post. While you may feel more like a big boy for having that .45 under your shoulder or .40 on your hip, if you can't reliably hit a human-sized target quickly and accurately, you're just carrying a paperweight that goes "bang".

Yes, larger rounds create more damage. Yes, hotter rounds penetrate deeper. Yes, permanent cavity this and temporary cavity that and hydro-shock the other thing... But none of that matters if you can't hit a damn thing.

So, go shoot some stuff. Shoot as much as you can. Shoot different guns and different calibers. Take a course or two and then practice those lessons at the range. Buy a CO2 airsoft pistol and practice your draw and fire. Practice firing from retention while getting assaulted. Get comfortable with your weapon, become proficient with it, and learn to respect it. Gain, fine-tune, and improve your SKILLS before you just go out there and upgrade the caliber. If you start off only being able to handle a .22 pistol with passable results but you start producing groups that look like a 20g at 25-yards as soon as you move up to something like a .308, you may want to rethink carrying that Glock around town.

And this is also why I try not to get involved in thread derailments about pistol calibers... So I thought it best to get it all out there in a thread of its own.

Last edited:
Question for the OP: From your experience, have you seen any difference in the wounds or survivability of the recipients between those shot with hollowpoint bullets and those shot with FMJ bullets?

Bill DeShivs said:
And I know a man who was shot in the chest with a 12 ga, and RAN 35 yards before he dropped from blood loss. He lived.

Those things make NASTY wounds... Buckshot up close is devastating.

That guy was either lucky or JUST far enough away.

1-DAB said:
And why I enjoy shooting IDPA. Accuracy counts.

Accuracy is everything.

Seems to me that the moral of the story is the same as ever.

There are four kinds of stops.

Psychological - holy -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- I've been shot. Run away or fall down because all shot people "die"

Hydrolic failure - I have now leaked out too much fluid to continue to function. Shot placement obviously plays a part in this. Destroy the heart or major artery then the hydrolics are gonna go down faster then a bunch of .45 caliber sized random holes.

Electrical system / CPU shutdown - CNS hot brain, spine etc. all about shot placement and penetration. Shuts down the whole system caliber probably matters little except for penetration.

Structural failure - take out a hip or lower spine or some other series of load bearing skeletal system. Caliber probably had some effect here. Bigger whack to the pelvis more likely to shatter it.

So basically like the original poster said. Put rounds in the proper place fast and from less then ideal positions and you will fair better then putting a big bullet through a thigh through and through.

Something about software vs hardware comes to mind but I digress.

seeker_two said:
Question for the OP: From your experience, have you seen any difference in the wounds or survivability of the recipients between those shot with hollowpoint bullets and those shot with FMJ bullets?

None whatsoever. Hornady Critical Defense and similar defensive rounds designed to really open up and transfer energy are still yanked by the dozen out of living people who go on to keep living. I remember once collecting those little red polymer cores out of a guy.

This is all anecdotal, mind you.

I can tell you that most of the multiple gun shot wound victims I've seen have been tagged by fully jacketed ammunition resulting in multiple pass-through wounds. I'm not talking two or three rounds; I'm talking many many many rounds. That may not mean much as MOST ammunition on the streets is FMJ...

FMJ to the head or into the heart or through the aorta is better than a hollow point into a shoulder or some other non-critical peripheral aspect of the anatomy.

The other thing that comes to mind is..........handguns suck. People have a unrealistic expectation of performance. "Keep squeez'n till they stop wheezin'" or so the phrase goes.

Well that and something like a .577 tyrannosaur would probably leave a mark. :)

cslinger said:
Seems to me that the moral of the story is the same as ever.

I am so glad you stopped by! Thanks for joining in on the coversations.

There are four kinds of stops.

I do not disagree at all. I may even narrow it down to 2... Physical or psychological.

Psychological - holy -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- I've been shot. Run away or fall down because all shot people "die"

Or the assault, maybe even planned assault, is foiled as soon as a firearm is produced or fired. I imagine that a "zing" or "hiss" or "crack" is enough to cause some messy pants and a flight response.

Hydrolic failure - I have now leaked out too much fluid to continue to function. Shot placement obviously plays a part in this. Destroy the heart or major artery then the hydrolics are gonna go down faster then a bunch of .45 caliber sized random holes.

Yes, but as we've seen, people can function for long periods of time even with holes in the major components of their circulatory system... Especially if they are hopped up on stimulants or even JUST a natural adrenal response.

Electrical system / CPU shutdown - CNS hot brain, spine etc. all about shot placement and penetration. Shuts down the whole system caliber probably matters little except for penetration.

This one even works on zombies!

Structural failure - take out a hip or lower spine or some other series of load bearing skeletal system. Caliber probably had some effect here. Bigger whack to the pelvis more likely to shatter it.

Structural damage can definitely prevent someone from continuing an assault but it may not take them out of the fight.

So basically like the original poster said. Put rounds in the proper place fast and from less then ideal positions and you will fair better then putting a big bullet through a thigh through and through.

Practice, practice, practice... I don't think you need to nail heads, but center of mass, middle of chest is a great place to start.

...but I digress.

Digression and procrastination are two of my favorite hobbies!

I am not advocating that anyone use cheap FMJ ammo for their CCW. Of course a hotter round with better penetration and designed for maximum energy transference will be BETTER to hit critical areas with than crap...

But you still have to HIT those critical areas.

cslinger said:
...handguns suck. People have a unrealistic expectation of performance.

I also think people have an unrealistic view of the ranges involved in typical domestic shootings.

Shoot, a guy has to get pretty close to me before I can see if he has a weapon... Let alone the look on his face before I can truly assess the level of the potential threat.

While shooting out to 50-feet and beyond is fun for the giggles, if I'm relying on my handgun to shoot at those distances I brought the wrong weapon.

I am not advocating that anyone use cheap FMJ ammo for their CCW. Of course a hotter round with better penetration and designed for maximum energy transference will be BETTER to hit critical areas with than crap...

How so? Based on your response, the only advantage that a JHP has over a FMJ is reduced chance of overpenetration. Terminal performance doesn't seem different in any way.

His response also pointed out that this was his anecdotal observance about FMJ ammo. There is a massive amount of R&D data and experimental evidence to support JHP ammo over FMJ.

To me, it can be summed up as this -
(1) Use the empirical data to be sure you have the best equipment, then
(2) Develop your skill (tactics and accuracy, etc.) to ensure that, should you have to resort to using your weapon, the equipment functions properly and the shots go where they need to go.

The other thing that comes to mind is..........handguns suck. People have a unrealistic expectation of performance. "Keep squeez'n till they stop wheezin'" or so the phrase goes.
I think this sums things up, no matter what you carry, and especially the last part. Your best bet, is a reasonable caliber, that will allow you to shoot as accurately as you can, as quickly as you can, and to sustain that until the threat is down and no longer a threat.

Shooting until they are down and no longer a threat is the only realistic thing to do.

How you practice is important too, and you need to be realistic in how you do. If youre basing your skills on what you do on a static range, you may want to reevaluate things.

Accuracy is important, but you need to be accurate while quickly moving, drawing, and shooting, and while your target is moving as well. You dont get good at this, without this type of practice.

While some hits are definitely better than others, as long as youre not the one taking them, there is really no such thing as a "bad" hit.

Just dont stop because youre under the impression that because you did hit them, they should be stopping, giving up, or falling down dead.

As for one who believes in a Higher Power, I believe one doesn't die until it is appointed by said Higher Power to do so ballistics or no ballistics.

I also believe handguns are stop gap measures at best in lieu of a rifle or shotgun.

Get yourself a 10mm high capacity semi-auto. Load it with 200 grain nuclear hollow points and flat nose hardcast ammo. Practice, practice,practice. When you can shoot it like it was a .22 you have done the best you can to be prepared to stop a threat. All other things being equal, (proficiency wise), caliber and energy still are a consideration.

All other things being equal, (proficiency wise), caliber and energy still are a consideration.
Proficiency wise, there is a difference, and they are not "equal" in that respect, thats pretty obvious, especially if you shoot them side by side.

These days, I think the difference between most realistic calibers is pretty much nil, as they most all perform to the same set of standards. The one that allows you to shoot accurately, the fastest, and easiest, would make the most sense "choice" wise.

Pistol calibers are lacking, and to be realistic, and unless you get a cns hit, all require the same thing, quick volume of fire until the problem is solved.

I don't consider wound capability---like the OP said---it's shot placement. Mine is about energy dump----impact. That's where that .45ACP shines in a less than perfect world. When the only target you have is a knee or an arm or you're wounded and not on your best game.

I can put 8 shots into a 3-inch circle at 7-yards in several seconds under stressful conditions from the draw to the last round.
Does "under stressful conditions", mean while your wife is yelling at you, or while being shot at? It would be interesting to know how you simulate those "stressful conditions" in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back