Pictures on targets, what do you think?

I'm against shooting a picture of a real human for the purposes of entertainment. It's not entertaining at all and if it's done with the intent of taking out frustrations then it's even worse. It's not at all entertaining to take a life and this is simply a simulation of that.

In my opinion, people that make these targets up are inciteful. We don't need this stuff in our lives. There's enough of it on the news everyday. All these things do is put our 2nd amendment rights in further jeopardy.

I've been through a number of self defense courses where I've learned to distinguish between good guy's, bad guy's and innocents. Not once did they attempt to represent a real human other than with general characteristics.

Geeeze, the targets are only pieces of paper!

Just what we need, politically correct targets.
In my opinion, people that make these targets up are inciteful. We don't need this stuff in our lives. There's enough of it on the news everyday. All these things do is put our 2nd amendment rights in further jeopardy.
Well, with all the bad press the people who like guns already get, using a known person's face as a target is an unforced error. Not everybody that goes to the range are of a like mind

There's probably more than enough ammunition(sorry) out there to help the 'other side' of the gun debate along..unforced error, IMHO..

There's probably more than enough ammunition(sorry) out there to help the 'other side' of the gun debate along..unforced error, IMHO..
the biggest threat to our guns rights are "conservative" voters that sit at home and complain because their guy didn't get in, or apathetic gun owners that vote the way their union bosses tell them.

The trouble was the 'no shoot' ones too often looked like victims out of central casting - church pastor, woman with baby, old lady, etc. More recent ones have stick-on inserts that force you to actually look at what they are holding/doing.

Maybe too often, but not always. We have ran several shoot/no-shoot targets that were tricky as heck a few years ago. One of them was a pregnant lady pointing a gun at you. That got a lot of people on time as they would skim over that target and not shoot, automatically accepting that it was a no-shoot target. Some folks never shot the target, didn't see the gun. Some of the no-shoot targets were in tactical vests with a badge and police marked on it, but holding a gun. It is an eye-opener, and scary, to see how many holes are in that target after a day of shoot-house training.

Just remember, the NAACP complained that the B27 was for training police to shoot black people.
IPSC has gone to a non-humanoid target.
There is nothing we can do that will not offend somebody.
The local lane rental range sells a lot of gimmick targets, but none photo-realistic.

Me?
I have a roll of IDPA targets and a roll of bullseyes. That handles most of my shooting.

I have an old British gun magazines somewhere that makes fun of the sort of humanoid IPSC and IDPA targets used in the USA. It portrayed us as blood thirsty and they were inappropriate for 'sport'. Thus some octagonal pistol targets were used there as it was just a sport. Well, when handguns were banned, the shooters complained they were losing their sport and no one cared about that argument.

The political targets with real people are stupid. The anatomical ones have some use.

But before that, a popular British target looked a lot like a German soldier.

"A fast aeroplane to fly, a smart uniform to wear, and Germans to shoot at. What more could a young man ask for?" RAF Commandant.

But before that, a popular British target looked a lot like a German soldier.

"A fast aeroplane to fly, a smart uniform to wear, and Germans to shoot at. What more could a young man ask for?" RAF Commandant.
‘Somewhat’ different times. Doubt anybody who really thought Churchill was a complete goon had targets with his likeness on it.
I agree with just about Zero with this POTUS, BUT if I went to ‘my’ range and somebody had a target with his likeness, I would, 1) complain loudly and if they just shrugged, 2) not ever go back to that range...maybe not go back anyway, they should say something immediately.

I am of the opinion...that shooting at hostage targets is unethical in the eyes of the public.

Our outdoor range has banned shooting at portraits of real people, but cartoon characters are okay. Though a SRSO let me shoot at OBL's portrait at the pistol range --- just after 911 --- but I would not chance it again.

I had almost forgotten this "Scheibe" from our German club's annual shooting match. Besides the obvious safety violations, the subject took an embarrassing hit. Shooting 22s offhand at 25 yd, one shot each, closest to the mark wins the plate. (Actual shooters followed the rules and did not drink beer until the match was over and rifles stowed.)

Attachments

• Scheiben.jpg
    Scheiben.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 23
Back