Picking a bolt gun?

Glad I found this thread as I also have been looking for a bench rest bolt action target rifle. After reading, still undecided between the 12FV and the 10T-SR.

Not sure if I am just making it harder than it really should be. If I am honest to myself, I guess the fact that the 12FV is considered entry level, somewhat lingers in my head. Is the other rifle also considered entry level? I don't have much skill but do plan to practice once weather starts permitting. The caliber wanting to purchase is 6.5 creedmore. A previous member had mentioned 12FV along with other models. At the moment have saved to get the 10T-SR and have to save for the optics.

I definitely don't have knowledge on either. I understand that if I go from buying an entry level to getting a higher end rifle, it will not help me become a better shooter. I know I have to work on my skills and make the effort to get better every time I go out and shoot. I have been practicing with a Marlin XT-22 when I do get a chance.

Definitely not looking to get past the price of the 10T-SR.

As mentioned before I have no knowledge, what difference does the 2" barrel length do for either rifles?

Will the 2" matter? Probably not. Especially if you handload, which if you are going to get into serious bench rest shooting, you more than likely will (if you're not already). Technically the extra 2" could yield more muzzle velocity, all other things being equal. But that's not always the case. I would go pick them up and handle em. Whichever one you fancy better I would go with. However you are bench shooting, so the heft and balance aren't really as much a factor. The only other thing I could see helping you to make a choice would be the threaded muzzle meaning you could easily attach a muzzle break without extra work.

As far as your qualms with "entry level" their both made by Savage. You're going to get an accurate rifle and if something is amiss, they will take care of you.

PlatinumCore16, yes you are correct. Was shifting more towards the threaded muzzle.

I also am planning on handloading for this caliber eventually.

Well I have the 10t-sr in 6.5cm and a good buddy has the 12fv in 6.5cm. They both shoot lights out. The glaring differences are the bolt knob, the rifling, the trigger is just oh so better o the 10t, the magazine on the 12 sucks, and the 10t come with a 20moa scope base which the 12fv does not. Either way they both shoot great, just gotta add on a few extras with the 12fv.

The Tikka T3 Hunter or Forester (difference is in the comb) both have decent wood stocks. Plus there is a large aftermarket in all kinds of stocks for the T3: wood, laminate, precision, kevlar and carbon fiber.

If you try the action and trigger of the T3 I think you will find it very competitive to the Savage and Ruger, Action is definitely slicker and tighter.

Second also on the Howa/Vanguard recommendation. Another accurate rifle often overlooked.

Back