Picking a bolt gun?

RC20,

It is severe logical fallacy to analyze an historical event outside of the era in which it occurred. It is fallacy to analyze an 18th century event with 21st century eyes.

Suffice it to write that most of your post is logical fallacy.

Madison wrote the Second Amendment to assure Americans would be able to retake their country should a tyrant seize it. Hence, type of 18th century firearm is a red herring. That Americans possess firearms to retake their government from a tyrant is controlling.

Our constitution gave slavery nothing. Our Founding Fathers knew slavery was a dying institution...or it would kill the country they've created. Hence, the noun slavery appears in none of our founding documents.

There is no doubt that you've made this up: "The majority of gun owners believe there should be restrictions."

Majority of Americans know that no one has been able to prove efficacy of a single gun control law. Gun control laws don't work. Criminals do not obey laws.

Forgive me if I'm wrong: the total fallacy of your posts indicates that your an agent working for gun control. Spurious gobbledygook that attempts to undermine integrity of US Constitutional is an indication of an ulterior motive.

Getting back on topic, here is a quote from Chainsaw's post #1 that started this thread:
We both were able to ring that steel with boring regularity
Now I ask, Chainsaw, were you shooting from a bench? If not, then what position? I mention this because 455 yards is pretty far away. Maybe it's time to try some more challenging positions. If you are a hunter, get away from the bench and do most of your shooting from positions that you would likely encounter in the terrain you hunt. I'm a pretty good off-hand shot, but at that range, I will sit on the ground for the shot.

Too many good options out there. My fav bolt guns are CZ 500 series (527, 550) and Winchester Model 70.

But, the Howa and Weatherby suggestions are good too, if you want something synthetic.

Don fisher, 6mm creedmore is pert near a 243, the shoulder angle is steepened and pushed back slightly, and the case squared up just a touch, think almost 243 AI. One of the big advantages is a longer neck. The more I read the more Im thinkimg 6.5CM is what I'm after. Good questiom though, 243 is no slouch.

Patherfinder. These shot were taken laying in a big batch of baby head boulders, feet higher than our head, grass waving in out faces (that was fun when the brake on my AR would shread the grass with each shot) off a bag, sun was going down and in our eyes, wind was gusting to 25mph and the wind was COOOLD. Yes seriously. It was alot of fun, if my wife and I were more of meat eaters it could have got me hooked on elk hunting. Oh, and the gong I had painted yellow was starting to blend in with the yellow grass around as the light faded.

As you say, when we go out and do it again maybe Ill try a good sitting position to add a touch of challenge.

Chainsaw....a little advice....

243 Win, 6.5 Creedmor or 308 Win offer the best road to easy accuracy.

You want a fairly heavy rifle with a stock matched to your type of shooting. There are several Savage 10 & 12 models that do this well.

You want good aftermarket support.....meaning, can you buy an upgrade trigger or barrel easily? Savage yep.

You want a good steel scope mount or maybe aluminum....TPS, Ken Ferrel, EGW, etc

You want a good scope. I would look at Vortex, Burris and Leupold at around $1000. Nightforce, US Optics and Vortex Razor above that at $2000-$2500. $500-$1000 is a world of heavy compromises....only you can decide what compromises are ok. At the end of the day, you can spend $200-$3000 and hit your target in most lighting. At $1000, I really like the XTR II.

You want a muzzle brake or can at some point.

Start planning to acquire some reloading equipment...
Consistent, and accurate ammo is critical at longer ranges; as is a lot of practice.

You'll quickly find that ringing a gong at 600 yards with boring regularity (next time use an 8" instead to make it a bit more challenging) isn't difficult on a calm day with an accurate rifle. It's the last 400 yards where the bullet drops dramatically and is much more susceptible to wind that proves very challenging some days.

The Hornady ammo is capable- but at more than double the cost than for roll your own you end up shooting less- or paying a lot more.

Oh Im very well set for reloading gear:D
Though I will want to get a concentricy guage and a neck turner.

Last edited:
I will add the Nightforce has scopes in the $1200 to 1500 range.

I like the 32x I have with the target dot.

Use a rifle that you would actually hunt with and carry in the woods and mountains. Besides, there is something gratifying about seeing someone that knows his hunting rifle well enough that he out-shoots someone else that has, "better", equipment.

I have owned rifles of all price range and keep going back to Tikka. Hard to beat their smoothness and accuracy.

Ended up ordering a savage 10t-sr in 6.5 creedmoore. Dies in route. 143 grain ELDXs in route as well. Got a buddy who has a sightron scope I'm gonna grab to throw on top until I can sell another rifle to fund a better scope. :cool:

Nice choice! I've eyed on of those on Cabela's a couple times recently, but pulled the trigger on a new .223 Bolt gun instead. We're developing a coyote problem on my in-laws farm.

quote: "Winchester model 70, in walnut, of course. Caliber? I would choose 270 Winchester"

Yes! He got it right!

Pathfinder45 said:
Winchester model 70, in walnut, of course. Caliber? I would choose 270 Winchester first with a very close second choice of 30-'06 Springfield. Maybe the Featherweight in 6.5x55......looks pretty appealing to me.

While I commend your recommendation I would caution the featherweight 6.5x55 might be out of the price range for this OP. I found one on GB (classic) this last summer and it set me back north of a grand...but it's sweet and a swede and it was NOS....You can't go wrong with the Winchester M70, but look for a Classic or a FN production rifle. I've found used Classic Stainless in the $650 range on a regular basis....

Jerry

So the latest update. Went and picked up the rifle from cabelas, along with a vortex pst 6-24 FFP. The rifle was actually on sale when I picked it up, $100 off, well they gave me the sale price, in the form of a gift card, which they allowed me to put towards the scope which was $300 off already. So, I basically got the scope half price. :cool:

Fast forward to to the range....which I fast forwarded to. Got zeroed in two shots. Then shot several 3 shot groups at 100, which ened quite well. Then I shot to 200, this ranges max. First three rounds at 200 measured .5 center to center :eek: Fantasic!

6.5 creedmoor 200 yards 3 shots https://imgur.com/gallery/35DyT

All the time the only other dork on the range kept shooting my target. Thankfully he was shooting 308 so it was easy to differentiate.

Last edited:
Back