Pick One, There Is No Wrong Answer.

This is a heartstring-pulling topic for me.

The answer now is "the one I carry" because the platforms greatly differ.

I love shooting 1911s and Browning High Powers. They're just very different from my self-defense handguns. Which are either DA/SA or striker fired. None of which have an external safety or as good a trigger.

So, to keep the most important part of my enthusiasm being self-defense consistent, I stick to shooting my carry guns more often than anything else. Which lead to me selling over 40+ of my handguns.

Smith 67. Dedicated "fun gun." Has no other purpose. Fiber optic front sight; chamfered charge holes; and a mild trigger job - so it drives pretty nice.

It gets lots of range time.

Model%2067_2015-03-09_1857_zps5mfvc5hx.jpg

This recently re-furbed Security Six has become my favorite handgun shooter . It has been many years since I've owned a double action revolver. I must have forgotten how nicely they function. My poor Vaquero has been displaced by this puppy.

Browning Buckmark Standard .22 with close to 15,000 rounds through it. When I got it, I had lots of plans to upgrade/customize, but then I loved shooting it so much as-is that it's still 100% stock.

(At the other end of the spectrum, my alternate choice is Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Convertible with the .45 Colt cylinder. Massively heavy loads feel like nothing until the frame and cylinder get too hot to touch.)

For rimfire I'd say my Ruger SR22, it eats everything I feed it. Little to no recoil and it points very well, plus ammo is cheap.

For centerfire its my C Series Hi Power. Most comfortable all metal handgun I've ever held. Low recoil, perfect pointer, cheap Mecgar mags work great.

Browning Buckmark 'Standard' 5.5" 'slab-side', circa 1987.

Good pistol.
Good trigger.
Decent sights.

Bang. Bang.

Nothing to it.
Stupid easy to shoot.
Accurate.
Dependable.

...Though more expensive to shoot now, than 9mm. :rolleyes:

My first Ruger GP-100, without question. Very accurate (defensive, not target or bullseye), smooth trigger, absorbs enough recoil with full power loads to be fun, and no chasing brass in the dirt. If I put my hunting loads in it I can reliably hit bowling pins out to 100 yards with it; something I have a hard time with using most of my semis.

Also, always goes bang, unless I hit a bad round. Barely have to clean it, somehow never gets unburnt powder under the star, or get a bullet jammed between the cylinder and the forcing cone, other any of that other jazz. It's my energizer bunny; it just keeps going and going and going . . .

Last edited:
Hands down my favorite gun to shoot would be my Super Blackhawk .44 mag, old model with screws. Very light trigger and the most accurate handgun I've ever shot and that's with full loads.

Oddly enough my favorite plinkin' pistol is an old Walther P1, even though I have much more modern and even more coveted alternatives.

Harrington & Richardson Model 969, now on semi-permanent loan to my FIL.

Given that, runner up is S&W Model 686, 4", stoked with reasonably priced .38 Specials.

It's a really neat question but I go through phases and also, I'll have a session with a much-loved old favorite and say "why don't I shoot this way more often?!" :D

Okay, like I said, horribly difficult to give ONE answer. But one that absolutely qualifies to the wording of the question is my Coonan Classic. It hits so many of the visceral buttons. Good lookin' pistol and somewhat "familiar" at a glance up until it starts barking and throwing ridiculous fireballs. And when you take short videos and check frame by frame, you get to see the awesome "ring of fire." It's no Buseye match pistol but it is surprisingly accurate, mine runs religiously in my hands, the gun is a rolling riot outdoors and a pure spectacle on any indoor range.

My log claims 3,613 through it and that sure isn't enough. So then it's settled -- the Coonan comes along on the next range trip! (thanks for the reminder! ;))

SAR K2P with the 19 round mag. Who wouldn't love 20 rounds in one hand? I can't get enough. That pistol inspires confidence and the balance and comfort encourage me to practice and improve. I've put about 700 rounds through it in the last 6 weeks and many more to come.

A custom lemat revolver that's basically been machined from the ground up to shoot cartridge ammo. Sacrifices down to 6 rounds of 38 and 1 of 410 but boy she can shoot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruger 5.5" single six, most fun with a 22wmr replacement cylinder by story, making it a "single eight."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back