Personal Defense At The Range.

Im not worried about purposeful shootings at the range so much as Im worried about accidendal shootings therefore I wear armor to the range and quite a few others I see do the same thing to include the rangemaster. I also believe unsupervised ranges should not exist. The range should be supervised by someone who is not afraid to let people know when tbe rules are being violated.

I'm not normally in the "concealed is concealed"school, but at the range I am. The safety rule is to eliminate the chance of an ND when someone is down range. If I am carrying concealed and the firearm is in its holster the chance of an ND is no higher than anywhere else. Like a carry gun I take into a gun shop I am not going to un-holster it for any reason other than use in defense. If for some reason I decide I need to I will return to my car, unload, store properly with flag, and return.

I also believe unsupervised ranges should not exist.
Firmly disagree. All of my non-hunting shooting takes place at our excellent un supervised local outdoor range, which, to the best of my knowledge, has a safer record than the WalMart parking lot. ;)

My carry gun is in my waistband when I'm at the range and this isn't breaking any rules.

I often go to the range alone and it's not unusual for me to be 100 yards away from my rifles when changing targets. I know my carry gun would be of little use if someone decided to grab a rifle and run or even grab a rifle and shoot me. There's not even a good place to take cover if one decided to start shooting as the berm would be a difficult climb.

But I carry on and don't worry about it.

Most of my shooting practice has been at unsupervised ranges of one kind or another.
So far the greatest risk has been some of the other people using the range, rather than any criminal.
That's why I always wait and watch who's there and how they are behaving, before even unpacking.

I am happy to know that the indoor range that I use has at least 5 armed employees watching over the place at all times, usually more than 5 actually. One of the outdoor ranges have at least 2 armed employees.
One range is outdoor, but all of the employees do not open carry for some reason. I CC at all ranges, full time. Aside from people always driving through the parking lots too fast, I feel safe.

Besides our SRSO's on our outdoor range in Marriottsville... members or guests carrying a loaded firearm, concealed or open carry on AGC property, while not following typical firearm protocol for our range --- is against AGC range rules.

The public range I visit has a ton of safety officers and cameras that cover each bench. You even touch a gun during a cease fire and you will be chewed out in a split second over the intercom.

Considering self defense at the range isn't paranoid, it's prudent.

There was a THR member who was murdered while shooting alone at a remote, public range several years ago. No suspect (that I'm aware of) was ever identified but it was speculated that he was murdered for his guns.

I go to a members only range and I never go alone. I normally go with my wife and when one goes down range to check the targets the other stays with the guns.

I carry while at the range, the gun I'm "carrying" never comes out of the holster and never gets unloaded.

Moonglum, did they go to his home as well after getting his keys, and vehicle with documents with a home address? Any details or links?

Moonglum, did they go to his home as well after getting his keys, and vehicle with documents with a home address? Any details or links?

This was years ago. I think his wife posted an announcement with links to the obits and news story.

I see quite a few familiar names around here perhaps one of the THR mods can fill us in

Remember, just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean everyone in the whole world isn't really out to get you. Bwaaahahaa:D

Back