Panic shortage

Local reloading components are going up too. I paid $38 each for 2 bricks of Win small pistol primers. Up $4 each from a month ago... Can't hardly wait to see what it will be in March!

Which raises a question. If you live in California will purchasing reloading supplies be considered "ammo". If not, there could be a spike in those who reload.

As I understand the interpretation right now reloading components aren't included in the law.
I'm sure that will change as soon as they figure it out.

On a side note, I met a young lady today at WallyWorld buying ammo for her brand new Sig P226 in 40 S&W. She had taken a women's handgun training course and liked the Sig in 40 S&W so she ordered one that just came in.

She was buying all the Win 200 packs they had until I pointed out the Perfecta was cheaper. She bought all the Perfecta they had instead and as they were ringing it up she added all the Win 200 packs to her purchase.
Maybe not panic buying but definitely stocking up.

Gotta say, for a newbie I was very impressed by her enthusiasm for shooting.

My guess is the California ammo law will work it's way to the SCOTUS ....it is something the NRA will want a ruling on. There may however become an "ammo card" like in some states for guns where you pass 1 BC and the card is valid for a few years. Otherwise the undue burden will make it so that only bulk buys occur.

You know, based on what's passed this year in the state I wouldn't mind a one time BC and a card good for a year or so. At least that way places like WallyWorld could continue selling ammo.
I wish they'd do the same for firearm purchases too. It starts to get on your nerves paying for the BC each time you buy or transfer a firearm.

Well,,, it's started all over again here in Kalyforrnya.

I just got back from WallyWorld and found their handgun ammo cabinet cleaner than Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard. No 38, 9mm, 357, 45, 22 etc. Nothing but empty shelves. Just like the last time we had a panic shortage about the only thing they had for a handgun was 40 S&W. :)
Didn't bother me much tho, 40 was exactly what I went there for so I'm done for the foreseeable future. All my ammo cans are full except the 4 or 5 I reserve for reloads.

Last edited:
Was just in Texas for a hunting trip... flew into San Antonio and drove to Ballinger and back. Stopped in about 10 places that sold guns and ammo (looking for a Butt-Out) up the I-10 and 83 and back. Every place I went had a good supply of everything, including plenty of .22lr at decent prices. The only place that looked a little picked over was Bass Pro.

I found that Butt-Out at Gibsons Discount Center in Kerrville... along with some broadheads, a couple boxes of .22lr, some 9mm snakeshot, a new hat, a pack of hand-warmers, targets, a tactical spoon/fork/knife, and lunch. And even though it was noon on a Wednesday, AND Trump had won the election, there were still 8 people in there at the gun counter buying guns. Good thing they had about 200 on the walls and cases... plenty to go around.

I'm saving my pennies to see how much traction the Hearing Protection Act gets... by sometime next fall, would love to have most of my rifles threaded and suppressed.

Last edited:
Back