P365 vs P365XL accuracy

Heck. Maybe the medium 12rnd grip won't be offensive enough in the pocket to change? Not the most exciting buy, but still interested in it for some dumb reason.

Great question :D

I don't know if I care about the straight trigger that comes on the XL and now the X that I bought. But getting that with the coming X.

On the plate, I think it makes this P365 more future proof if I do end up getting into red dots. I'm not against them, but kinda see their function being more suited for these smaller barrelled guns than standard sized (otherwise, what's the point of the longer barrel...

I sold my regular P365 for $10 more than I bought it for in under an hour online locally. Can't beat that (or understand it).

Ah didn’t realize you sold the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also looking at just making up my mind on the PDP vs a G19 Gen5 to pick up at the same time. So this thread is timely with your pics at the top.

Didn't you pick up a PDP?

Also looking at just making up my mind on the PDP vs a G19 Gen5 to pick up at the same time. So this thread is timely with your pics at the top.

Didn't you pick up a PDP?

I did yeah, earlier in the year. I have just over 600 rd through it now and just used it in a low light course. In the end I think it’s a good pistol. I’m not sure it’s as amazing as some seem to think, but the more I shoot it the more I like it. I’d say compared to a Glock it’s hard to beat the sheer number of accessories and low cost of magazines of the Glock. The PDP does use Glock sights which is a plus. The Glock is also still a bit more concealable, less noticeable in an appendix carry position but more so in a strong side holster. If you’re not going to conceal it that may not be an issue. I think there are arguments for both pistols.

When I finally got around to comparing both side by side in person, I concluded the size difference between the original 365 and XL was so small as to be irrelevant. And I was fully prepared to get the in-between X model when I first walked in the store, but decided XL was best.

Remember that people can successfully carry even full size 1911s IWB. The 365XL is CAKE.

TunnelRat, what's your current favorite right now?

This is actually hard for me to answer, and I took some time to think on it.

I’m very invested in the Glock 19. I have a lot of magazines, holsters, and training with that pistol across Gens 3-5 over a number of years. I can pick up a Glock 19 and shoot it with little effort at this point. I also think the difference in size is enough that for me if I had to conceal the Glock 19 or the PDP I would choose the Glock 19.

The PDP, on the other hand, has what I think is the best texture of any polymer framed pistol and a trigger that is excellent (I can’t think of a better factory trigger). Combine those features with the ergonomics and even shooting one handed I can shoot very well as the pistol points quite naturally. One downside though is it has a bit more muzzle flip. There’s a cadence that you can learn to maximize this, but I do think there are other pistols with which I can be faster.

In terms of pure functionality, I think the Glock 19 wins. In terms of enjoying the shooting experience, I think the PDP wins. I’m not going to stop carrying the Glock 19, but I bought more magazines for the PDP compact and it’s sticking around for the foreseeable future.

FairWarning, The 15rnd mag in my standard P365 was just a tad too long to go with the XL, for me.

Really, the P365 isn't a pocket gun, for me. But I like that it is possible. Other 9mms are just out of the question, for me. So trying to stay in those parameters. Hopefully the X works. If not, to the standard grip for what looks like $30 and base plate changes to the 12rnd mags.

Thanks for the thoughts!

oops! I've confused myself into thinking the XL is stock 15rnd not 12rnd. So I guess the X sports the XL grip but the 3" slide. Meh.

Last edited:
I have owned both and shot both extensively. I am a pretty decent shooter and shoot the XL much better. I actually shoot the XL better than a lot of other guns of varying sizes. It just fits me well I guess.

wild cat mccane said:
FairWarning, The 15rnd mag in my standard P365 was just a tad too long to go with the XL, for me.

Really, the P365 isn't a pocket gun, for me. But I like that it is possible. Other 9mms are just out of the question, for me. So trying to stay in those parameters. Hopefully the X works. If not, to the standard grip for what looks like $30 and base plate changes to the 12rnd mags.

Thanks for the thoughts!

oops! I've confused myself into thinking the XL is stock 15rnd not 12rnd. So I guess the X sports the XL grip but the 3" slide. Meh.

If you can't conceal the XL, you won't have success with the X either. If you go to the extreme and get the original 365 you can get a slight advantage, but that and the X are MUCH harder to successfully shoot, especially for those with big hands. My XL has the Romeo Zero, but if not for that, it could fit in my front pocket. I like Aliengear Cloak Tuck IWB for any pistol except for winter carry, when I prefer a shoulder holster for larger pieces.

With the 3.7" barrel of the XL, you are right there with the CZ P-01 and not far behind the PPQ, etc. Basically full size performance in a slimmer and shorter package. I have 12+1 in the gun and a 2x12 mag pouch and feel fully prepared. I have zero interest in the extended 15 rd mag personally, because at that point I can carry my PPQ (and using 16 rd P99 mags to boot :cool: ). If I'm expecting a confrontation more serious than that, it's SBR AR time.

Last edited:
If you can't conceal the XL, you won't have success with the X either. If you go to the extreme and get the original 365 you can get a slight advantage, but that and the X are MUCH harder to successfully shoot, especially for those with big hands. My XL has the Romeo Zero, but if not for that, it could fit in my front pocket. I like Aliengear Cloak Tuck IWB for any pistol except for winter carry, when I prefer a shoulder holster for larger pieces.

With the 3.7" barrel of the XL, you are right there with the CZ P-01 and not far behind the PPQ, etc. Basically full size performance in a slimmer and shorter package. I have 12+1 in the gun and a 2x12 mag pouch and feel fully prepared. I have zero interest in the extended 15 rd mag personally, because at that point I can carry my PPQ (and using 16 rd P99 mags to boot :cool: ). If I'm expecting a confrontation more serious than that, it's SBR AR time.

I’d you’re already carrying two backup magazines, why not make one or both of those a 15 rd magazine? You seemingly have accepted the possibility of a longer shooting engagement and not having to switch magazines as soon would seem to have an advantage. Unless it’s a concealment issue.

With those type of shooting engagements, I would just go ahead and get a full combat handgun. If you like Sig, then get a 320. For myself, I have a nice quiet neighborhood, and when the Zombies come (and they will) I will have to rely on my SR9C for now with the 17 rd mag. I guess I should be thinking of trading up. Actually buying up. I have more than a dozen mags now for the Ruger.

I’d you’re already carrying two backup magazines, why not make one or both of those a 15 rd magazine? You seemingly have accepted the possibility of a longer shooting engagement and not having to switch magazines as soon would seem to have an advantage. Unless it’s a concealment issue.

Each 12 rounder is shorter than a 15 rd and 3 x 12 is enough in my view. People can go around in circles to infinity on this debate, but I don't.

Who knows, maybe you'll one day be jumped by a Marxist Revolutionary Army division and all you can do is take several with you.

Each 12 rounder is shorter than a 15 rd and 3 x 12 is enough in my view. People can go around in circles to infinity on this debate, but I don't.

Who knows, maybe you'll one day be jumped by a Marxist Revolutionary Army division and all you can do is take several with you.

I’m not anticipating a Marxist revolution.

To me if I’m already carrying two backup magazines it’s not much more effort to carry and conceal the 15 rd magazines as opposed to the 12 rd (or even one 15 rd magazine by itself would be enough for me). But the longer magazines will impact concealment which is why I asked (and they’re more expensive too).

By the logic of many you’re unlikely to get passed that first magazine anyway so we’re talking differences that likely don’t matter and I’m certainly not going to argue 36 rd isn’t enough. It’s simply interesting to me how what is “enough” varies by person and I like the discussion. Generally speaking I carry less than what you’ve described so I’m not trying to virtue signal.

Last edited:
Back