+P in a Beretta 92

There seem to be answers to two different sets of questions here: is the 9mm effective for woods use and can the Beretta 92 handle +P? The second question is what the OP actually asked. The OP has also stated his friend has the one firearm and no plans to purchase a second. I think the question of can the Beretta 92 handle +P has been answered reasonably well.

As for 9mm and woods use in general, I think it is worth asking what is the cartridge expected to be used against. I think most of us here can acknowledge a shotgun is more capable, but for many there’s more effort involved in carrying a long gun either slung or in the hand while walking in the woods than carrying a pistol mounted on a belt. So at some level a person has to evaluate the risk. For me personally we don’t have many bears or big cats where I live. We do have coyotes and some are larger due to cross breeding with domestic dogs. Despite this, if I think a 9mm+P is capable of stopping an adult male over 6’ tall and over 200 lb., it doesn’t seem like a great stretch to assume the same cartridge could stop a coyote. If anything my own concern would be hitting the animal in a critical spot before it can close the gap and hurt me as well. I think most of the common defensive cartridges would be able to do that on a coyote. On a bear may be a different question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot placement is certainly important, though a cartridge does have to have the ability to penetrate deep enough into a body and with enough mass to disable the target. A 12 gauge shotgun as some have mentioned would certainly have that over a 9mm pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. It's all good, better than throwing rocks or sticks anyway. A rabin animal won't back down, no real difference than a city animal on the adrenalin dope.
My 12 gauge is for the city, if I'm going woods walk we ain't going under .44 magnum. (with my scatter gun for back-up)

I did some research that they do have black bears in the Catskill mountains, but of course no grizzlies.
As I did state, he lives in a restrictive state of New York, so we cannot just assume that it will be easy for him to buy this gun or that, and he is well to do.
He had to work hard to get his permit and purchase the gun, so lets give him that!

Mojo, you make alot of assumptions without knowing the facts. No one stated that he is young, afraid of recoil, or new to firearms.

The Buffalobore Outdoorsman has been know to take down a Grizzly, although agreed it is not the best choice. The situation is what it is, and the main question was whether the 92 could handle +P 9mm, but of course most of these carry in the woods threads get carried away into caliber disputes.

Seeing that I live in the woods, I have some knowledge of all these options.

Mojo, you make alot of assumptions without knowing the facts. No one stated that he is young, afraid of recoil, or new to firearms.

Seeing that I live in the woods, I have some knowledge of all these options.

I'm incorrigible what can I say. In my former life I was considered obnoxious but I always made you think. As his friend you have an obligation to stir him in the right direction with all your worldly knowledge and experience.

Good luck to you both and may the force be with you ..

Spock.jpg

if I were a rabid coyote I would not want a 124 gr +P coming in my direction.

Caliber debates aside, if I was a rabies infected coyote (or any other mammal, for that matter), I would pray that someone would put me down as quickly and as humanely as possible, no matter the size of the bullet or how fast it traveled. Just put your shot in the right place. ;)

I got a box of these in a recent trade and wonder if anyone here has ever used them in a 92 FS or any other 9 mm gun? I've been tempted to try them in one of my Sigs but I hesitate to use unknown ammo in one of my guns. I suspect they are in the +P+ category. My neighbor is a Luger collector so I will probably end up giving them to him.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 22
Wow this is quite the thread for an easy answer. Yes the 92 is fine with +P ammo and is delivered to the military with the intent of living a HARD life on NATO spec ammo which is basically a mild +P in and of itself.

Like all guns this side of a USP 45/MK23 :) running hotter ammo will wear the various components more and may require more frequent spring changes but the Beretta 92 will be fine with +P ammo. I wouldn’t even give it a second thought.

Now +P+, SMG spec ammo or some of the crazy Buffalo Bore type stuff I would not necessarily run.

I actually just saw the post above. DON’T run SMG spec ammo in a handgun. Not saying a single round will cause the gun to go nuclear but these are traditionally loaded very HOT and designed to run SMGs in various conditions. Yes you can consider them +P+ but more so then say 9BPLE which is +P+ Designed around duty handguns.

I got a box of these in a recent trade and wonder if anyone here has ever used them in a 92 FS or any other 9 mm gun? I've been tempted to try them in one of my Sigs but I hesitate to use unknown ammo in one of my guns. I suspect they are in the +P+ category. My neighbor is a Luger collector so I will probably end up giving them to him.
Might want to check to see if those cartridges have any collector value. I really don't know much about cartridge collecting, but those seem a bit unusual and look like they could be fairly old.

Back