+P in a Beretta 92

Tell him to sell his Beretta 92 and get a Glock Model 20 (10mm).

Will that stop a charging Black Bear?

I don’t know. I know that IFF you place it where it needs to be placed it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main thing with the Beretta 92 is to make certain it has the latest Gen locking block installed.
I put quite a bit of +p and +p+ through the 92 I used to own. Same with the Taurus 92 I owned later. No problems with either.

Your friend's Beretta 92 will, realistically speaking, be fine with more +P ammunition than he's ever likely to fire through it, unless he burns ammunition by the case lot.

ETA: And even if he does, it will still be fine as long as he follows a good prophylactic replacement schedule on recoil springs and locking blocks.

Pretty much every manufacturer puts that in their manual. It's to reduce their liability in case somebody blows the gun up with Jim Bob's +P+++ Ogre Zapper gun show reloads.

That said, the load you mentioned seems pretty odd:

There isn't a SAAMI spec for +P 147gr ammo, and that seems pretty warm to me. I'd be leery of using it, especially since it's not jacketed.
+P is a pressure spec, has nothing to do with the bullet weight. SAAMI has +P specs for some cartridges but not others. In the case of 9mm
Standard 35,000psi
+P 38,500 psi

Seems folks should just read the manuals. They are fairly specific about what ammunition to to use.
There are some that actually say NOT PLUS P rated
Some say Plus P rated but to not use continuously (which should be obvious)
And I know of one Pistol that says Rated for +P continuous use.

For myself, I just go along with the rating by the manual. And it does not mean I will shoot Plus P, but more of a statement as to the particular build quality and the Test performed by the Manufacture of the firearm.
I know for a fact that a gun that does NOT say Rated for Plus P, means do not shoot high pressure ammo. And I really do not care what caliber over 22.cal. If it does not specifically say Plus P rated, I am not purchasing.

As far as the Beretta 92. I have never owned one. Just read the manual and see no reason to not shoot occasional Plus P. And the history of the firearm should be a testament to the longevity of this well made pistol.

Last edited:
The original Ruger P89 pistol manual had a really open-ended ammunition clause. Basically said that any 9mm ammunition based on any accepted industry standard was suitable for use and was within the design parameters of the pistol.

I think that S&W made some assertion about some their lightweight compact revolvers being rated for continuous +P.

Probably to try to address concerns that people had based on earlier lightweight revolvers generally being recommend for use only with standard pressure loadings.

Beautiful I live on a mountain. Our trash is picked up daily due to the bear population. I will tell you my first line of defense is to get away from them when you see them. Fortunately they only come down from the top of the mountain during prolonged periods of winter weather when food supplies are scarce. That said, give me a .45-70 rifle forget the handgun. Of course, there are always caveat, if I had to have a handgun and that was all I had then yes a 44 magnum would be my choice.

A friend just got a Beretta 92. He lives in the Catskills and want to use this for woods carry as it is his only handgun right now.
I suggested Buffalobore Outdoorsman, but his manual states that +P is not recommended.

Wrong caliber as has been noted here. There is a reason why there is even a +P in 9mm. It's only used because it's the cheapest behind .22LR and you can carry more.

Every read a story where a cop only fired one round, me neither. It's just about unload the whole mag. I myself carry a pocket 9mm as my get off me gun, tell the friend the +P won't do much if a rabid coyote gets on his trail.

Go Big or stay home.

I'm a Big believer in using the proper tools for the job at hand as they say. Nothing wrong with 9mm, and most likely you could put him down, but the odds say you getting rabies doing it.

Doing something on the cheap doesn't mean it's practical, that's usually left to the to young and ignorant. :)

But it really doesn't cost all that much to be properly prepared. Just think outside the box, avoid gun forums and YouTube.
I carry a single shot 12 gauge in my car, brand new at $119.00 dollars. Loaded with buck-shot you giving rabid coyote a taste of his own medicine as they say.

Your 124+P won't even faze a city crackhead. And if they are a meth head bring an extra mag with you as well. :)

From the start:
"A friend just got a Beretta 92. He lives in the Catskills and want to use this for woods carry as it is his only handgun right now".
This wasn't what I would consider "done on the cheap" but rather an individual trying to make the best use of what he has.
I never realized the 9mm was so underpowered.

I never realized the 9mm was so underpowered.

I never realized my Honda was either until I try to merge on the hwy. Seems to do OK in the city.

9mm is probably all he can handle. Afraid of recoil. Most of the young cats today never came up on guns. YouTube and video games.

Back