Outdoor gun range fees geez.

If I go out to BLM land it takes me 90 mins. to get out there driving at Fwy speed. Don't have to worry about RO's or other people on the range. It allows me to shoot out to 2,500+ yards and have a small mtn. as a backstop. Down side is that it's still to close to people coming up to the high desert from L.A. For them it's about a 3 hour drive depending on where they're coming from to the spot I go to.

Other then that I can drive about 20 mins. to get to a private range that costs $60 a year or drive about an hour to a public range that costs $15 for the day. Public range is nice, rifle range is on one side of the range office and the pistol range is on the other. They have two private ranges that you can rent out. Also have a separate shotgun range and silhouette club that you can go to.

To me the desert is always better but involves more to go out there and shoot. Public ranges you have to deal with people you don't know and don't know how they act while shooting. Always a trade off whether you pay or don't and what kind of range you shoot at.

As I posted earlier there are 2 indoor pistol ranges about 20 minutes from me. Both are across state lines into Illinois. One is an old range that has been there a very long time. The range itself is a bit antiquated but functional. They charge $16.00 hr. but offer a senior discount. The other range is fairly new within the last couple years. High tech of course. Fee is $20.00 per hr.

There is a LGS in our town but does not have a range or the space for one. Not even sure if he's interested in that aspect either. The next closest town to us if very liberal and I couldn't see them allowing a Gun Shop let alone a range to open up. Even though I think there is enough local business to support it. The other larger close town also does not have a Gun Shop or range. All 3 of these towns have a population area that overlap each other within a 20 min drive. Other than going south into Illinois the closest indoor range to any of these 3 towns is about an hour of better away.

Wonder if this will change in the near future with the climate change.

That cheaper than $60/year for dues?

No..... It's not, but for those property taxes I put 6-8 deer in the freezer every year, raise all the vegetables I eat, raise and sell more than enough hay to pay the taxes, and in the past have raised a few beeves to eat also. Oh Yea, I also live in a nice comfortable house for those taxes. It never occurred to me that I could pay some one $60 to do what I can do at home without getting in the truck and driving some where else and come out ahead. :rolleyes:

The range I go to is only about 9 miles from my house. He charges $15 per person for all day. No limit on the number of guns. Actually, its $13.50 for me. He gives a 10% military discount.

The closest range to me charges about $40/year for membership BUT that only entitles you to a discount on range fees which is about another $10-$15.

What a joke.

$6 gets you all day in Tucson Mtn Park Range. Shoot as many guns as you want but no full auto, shotguns or ground targets.

$100/year for unlimited use of outdoor rifle, pistol, archery, steel ranges plus several "private" outdoor bays. $3 or $4 for trap/skeet sessions, $5 for indoor pistol range, and $2 for indoor archery.

Missouri Department of Conservation HuRah

OK ..I admit it ...I'm bragging ....and from Missouri in case you have not guessed ...here goes my overkill answer

Missouri Department of Consevation (MDC) has stratigically places 72 rifle and pistol ranges all over the state of Missouri ...free use all the way

Then they have in many of the metro areas STAFFED shooting range/shooting complexes that are second to none ...all to bring the uninitiated city folks into the shooting sports as well as the seasoned shooter of course

I think most staffed ranges are like $3 / stall

Now ask me the question how and why can and does the MDC do this

NO POLITICS ...they get zero $$ from the state but rather thrive on very reasonable license fees and the biggie ...we sportsmen years ago petitioned and pushed thru a 1/8 cent soda tax that goes 100% to the MDC

So our MDC and it's commission are free of political interferance ...drives our state Senators and Representatives nuts ...they cannot cut the $$ off cause they don't control the $$

The politicos have even put killing the tax OR diverting it to them (senate/house) for "proper use" to the voters 2 or 3 times

Each time the percentage of Missourians RECONFIRMING the tax grows each time the politicos try to grab it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS ...even though I own a fair amount of land MDC.. is buying land next to existing MDC conservation areas with the soda tax making them large enough to be useful hunting and use areas ...which really helps the guys not yet able to lease or own

One last brag ...then I will shut up ...one of the unmanned ranges is closer to my house than my farm lands/hunting woods ...so I shoot at the range more than my own land ....no trash ...no targets left down range to melt in the rain ...no muzzle sweeps ...stuff not shot all to hell ...backboards always in place to take targets, never overflowing trash cans ...toilets always clean ...OK ...OK ...I'm done

GO MDC!!!

Bear

best one also just outside of back door . free !! local one about 15 miles away 150. a year plus 1st yr you have to be under a club members wing:confused:

I was a member of a local range in OH about 2 miles from the house, been a member of 10 years. Cost $175 per year. Not going back, for 10 years I've seen very little of anything going on. Half the time there are work parties and sometimes you can't even use the rifle range because they use it for defensive pistol That coupled with the fact that I wanted to see the rifle range add a 200 yd range which will never happen. They've raised dues under the pretense of buying their own land about 8 years ago. I've seen nothing.

The new range is 45 min away, cost $125 per year. Has skeet/trap for $2 for members, a 300 and 100 yard rifle range plus 50 yd and 25 yd ranges. I can hardly wait for my first visit.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture.

I belong to 3 private clubs. Black powder only is a 100 yd range hidden between corn fields. $25 / yr. Club shoots rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery about twice a month but members have unrestricted access. About 20 miles from home. Trap club @ $75/yr. Fully ATA legal. Members have key to gate and clubhouse. About 20 mile drive. Third is about 50 miles and costs $75/yr but features 100 yd rifle/pistol, trap, skeet, woods walk archery and catch-release lake. Hardly anyone there except for organized events. I expect to drive as I live in a big city.

I used to belong to a nice range. But a year ago a neighbors house was hit...allegedly. They closed most of the ranges. Went from several down to two. Almost always crowded hard to find a table. People fighting over brass. There was a fist fight not too long ago. Saving up to buy some land and have my own range some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back