Options for mountain/backcountry gun..

My main woods gun is a Glock 40 MOS. I love the gun and the red dot is on 24/7 when in the woods. It is 10mm and I use Underwood 220 gr hard cast flat nose rounds. It is the handgun I shoot more accurately than any other.

Other times, I'll carry my Ruger Toklat with 360gr hard cast flat nose 454 Casull rounds. It's a handful but very comforting knowing you can call upon it.

As others have mentioned, bear are most likely going to try to avoid you. If you are in a dangerous encounter, your best bet is likely bear spray over a gun. Mountain lions aren't as thick boned and muscled as bear and likely anything that is good to defend against an attack by people will work with them. You are most likely (even in the middle of nowhere) to need to defend against a human attacker if you need a gun in the woods.

That said, a woods gun makes for a good excuse (for me) to carry a revolver. Usually my S&W 625MG, and if I ever put enough rounds through it that I trust it I'll occasionally take my 3" Rossi 461 (if not, I will likely replace all of my snubs with a 3" S&W 686 Plus soon). With the consideration that you are more likely to need it against people, and if you want more capacity, a 10mm with hard-cast bear loads (like the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads) would be acceptable against bear (probably similar to .41mag) and give you semi-auto capacity.

Though, if you want to try to use what you have, I'd go .40S&W (penetration is important against bear) and get the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman rounds and probably feel as well prepared as with any other handgun.

I do a fair amount of walking in the woods.
I prefer a .44 Magnum, with a couple rounds
of ratshot, for snakes. Some of the 300 grain
lead bear rounds might be in order.

there are black bears in rural and even suburban new england these days, none when i was a boy scout on many camping trips in the 1960s.

i only day hike now. as comforting in the hand at the range as my ruger blackhawk 45lc is, it is only a fantasy woods gun for me. im more worried about wild dogs, rabid raccoons and feral humans so my daily ccw goes to the woods too: s&w airweight snubbie with 38 wadcutters, naa guardian 32acp, bond arms derringer in 9mm or 410 in the tube & 45lc on speedstrips. im comfortable and accurate at defense ranges with them. im not a hunter so i make noise when i hike with my walking stick and a tied-on small metal cup or bell to warn off animals.

if i were ever to venture far out overnight up in moose country i would be suv camping and bring the ruger 45lc, with a ruger single six 22lr/wmr and a h&r single shotgun.

actually lyme disease is likely the most pressing outdoor threat here but bloused boots and bug spray probably work better than snakeshot on ticks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For hiking in the WA Casscades...

I carried mostly aRuger SS6 with Mornday 140ge XTP and two speedloaders.
Second loader was loaded with Federal 180gr HARD caat lead for serious needs. Never needed.

Back-up was Gm1991A1 with Hornady 230 XTP and two mags, second loaded with Hornday's 230 FMJ-FP.

First bear I located, stopped behind tree and observed as it was feeding on rotten truck, when it lowered to root, I did a withdraw.

Just being prudent.

Got involved with prospecting group and added a A5 for effect.

Just a footnote to the above postings...more people are actually killed by black bears ..mostly by young male black bears in a protective mode of their territory..than by grizzly/brown bears..of course, the probability of running into a black bear is much more likely than running into a big brown bear because of the much greater range and population of black bears...as mentioned in the previous posts, penetration is crucial to stopping a bear ..I agree that hard cast heavy .357/.41/.44 bullets are the correct medicine for killing bears with a handgun..

Hiking in Northern GA , & Carolinas .. other than Black Bear .. you have to be more concerned anout 2 legged predators ...
My vote is a 29 stoked with Underwood 200 grain XTP

2nkqwwi.jpg

Back