Opinions Please: Which .30-06?

I can also shoot from either hand but prefer left hand with a right handed gun. I'm faster because my trigger hand stays put. I have left and right handed muzzleloaders and don't notice any difference. I wouldn't mind having a left handed automatic though. maybe a left handed BAR in 30-06($1050.00) would do you.

huh???

Opinions are like ********

I own a .300 and use it a lot. That said, at 300 yards or less, the .300 Win Mag is no better than a 30'06 for anything less than AK Moose or Brown Bear ( for which, even it is not a good choice). I can't tell you how many elk are knocked over each year by the 30'06 and less cartridges.

BTW, you made an excellent choice in the Savage package. That is a best buy in my opinion.

I always thought that Ruger was a somewhat better grade, but the Savage will shoot just as good and maybe better. A 30-06 is a mighty versatile round.
A 130 gr. makes a dandy varmint round, and a 180 partition is plenty adequate for Elk. Handloading this round opens a lot of doors.

My daughter is left handed too. I bought her a Savage in 7mm-08 and she really likes it. Good luck with your new rifle.

Remington Model 700 CDL Left handed .30-06 fits the bill pretty well.

It is a wood stock instead of synthetic. It still falls into your weight and barrel length constraints. Should be able to get one for your price range brand new.

Left eye dominant, too

I bought a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in 30-06. Scoped it with Redfield Revolution 3-9 X 50 mm. Have old eyes and recent cataract surgery.

Ammo is Federal blue box from Wally World, 150 gr, 100 yds.

Please note geauxTide's OTB comment. That's why I bought the Savage. Best bang for the buck with minimal tuning needed. Note: I bought my gun right-handed so my son can use (and inherit) it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I like Winchester Model 70, Ruger M77, and I do like Remington 700 but I can no longer overlook the Ilion, NY on them anymore.

I own more M77s than any other model.

As far as lefty guns go i would say the Ruger, Savage has a really smooth action but they don't do as well with the left handed models. And since the M77 has a 1 in 9 twist, i could shoot a 165gr ballistic tip out of a 24" barrel 600yds easy.
.30-06 is a great choice, target shooting or hunting. What kind of scope are you interested in? In the end, it all comes down to shooter preference.

I bought a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope with the Savage.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I'm also shopping for a good ghost ring or "peep" sight for my 336. Thinking about a Williams or Skinner, if the budget will allow. ;)

Last edited:
SHep

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I'm also shopping for a good ghost ring or "peep" sight for my 336. Thinking about a Williams or Skinner, if the budget will allow.

Jump onto the Marlin Owners forum. There are ample discussions of peep sights on 336 leverguns. I just put one on my 336SS XLR 30-30. I had cataract surgery some months back, and can't wait to go shoot the new peep sight.

Attachments

• Marlin Skinner Peep.jpg
    Marlin Skinner Peep.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Back