Opinions Please: Which .30-06?

You might look at the CZ 550 American

I have one with a Kevlar stock and it comes with a set trigger.

I shot it last weekend in 20 to 25 degree temperatures with hand loads - IMR 4350 powder and 175 grain Nosler bullets while I was testing loads shooting 3 round groups to see what it might like.
It seemed to like this load.

CZ550Groups175grSMK.jpg

Although it isn't one you named I'll throw out Tikka T3 Lite. It meets all other requirements you listed and is very accurate. Unfortunately it is also ugly. I'm also left eye dominant, mine shoots < 1 MOA.

Sorry I don't have experience with the specific rifles you named. They are probably all great. I've been eyeballing the M77 Hawkeye for quite some time. I do have one friend that owns two. Both are shooters.

Last edited:
For a $1000 budget you can get a lot of rifle. I would look for a Kimber or used Sako 75. The Savages are very accurate and the new Ruger American is as well and at $350 you can spend a lot of glass which is a smart investment. My advice is buy a basic rifle and spend as much on glass as possible. High end Nikon, Leupold and Ziess are your best bets.

I'm left eye dominant too but don't have issues with scopes. I struggles for a while with shooting shotguns with both eyes open finally conditioned myself to compensate and overcome the problem.

Most of my bolt-action rifles are Rugers and they have never disappointed in terms of all the important categories of workmanship, reliability, durability or accuracy. Too, Ruger's customer service is second to none in my experience. That said, the other rifle brands you are considering are doubtless good choices too.

You can get a Remington 700 and a Nikon or Redfield scope under a thousand dollars, in brand new CONDITION, - they are auctioned on gunbroker all the time! Remingtons 700 bolt action is legendary - its what a lot of military and LEOs use.

Today I bought, at a pawnshop, a beautifully sportered 1917 Enfield, .30/06, ramp front sight, adjustable peep rear, drilled and tapped for scope, in excellent condition, mint bore, smooth action, nice red walnut checkered stock, for a total of $330 out the door.

I shoot left-handed, but a right-hand bolt is not an issue for me, just drop it off the shoulder, reach over and work the bolt, back to the shoulder, and reacquire. The first shot is the one I'm concerned with.

which 30-06?

none, get yourself a .308 instead it can do everything that the 30-06 can and more (more accurate, shoots from a compact action).

If you are looking for a 300+ yd. deer rifle, then cartridge selection is going to be important. You will need something with a lot of downrange energy. I would suggest either 7mm mag or 300 WM. With either cartridge, a very light rifle would not be that advantageous. Third request was that it was left handed.

I believe you would be best served by the Ruger Hawkeye@Standard Left Hand. It is available in both 7mm mag and 300WM. Strange as it may seem, their specs state that the 7mm is a bit heavier at 8.25lbs vs. the 300 at 8.00 lb. Both have 24" barrels.

I hunt almost everything with a Ruger M77R in 300WM. It has harvested a lot of deer, elk, even a couple of bears and 2 Moose. It has been my companion in the field for over 40 years and has never failed me and at my age, I am certain it will out last me.

which 30-06?

none, get yourself a .308 instead it can do everything that the 30-06 can and more (more accurate, shoots from a compact action).

And...
"If you are looking for a 300+ yd. deer rifle, then cartridge selection is going to be important. You will need something with a lot of downrange energy. I would suggest either 7mm mag or 300 WM. With either cartridge, a very light rifle would not be that advantageous. Third request was that it was left handed."

Here we go. The fellow wants an 06'. Why waste time trying to sell your pet cartridge? Maybe he is a hand loader and is already set up for 06'. Maybe he has some other reason. Since when is the 30-06 not a 300+ yd deer rifle?

Last edited:
Since when is .308 inherently more accurate than 30-06? I thought they were both essentially just as accurate as eachother with the 06' flying slightly straighter due to it's velocity advantage. Either way 06 is plently accurate enough. I've seen hits at over 1000yrds with a match M1 Garand w/ iron sights, no optics. I could be wrong but I believe it was done with military surplus ammo too.

Since when is .308 inherently more accurate than 30-06? I thought they were both essentially just as accurate as eachother with the 06' flying slightly straighter due to it's velocity advantage. Either way 06 is plently accurate enough. I've seen hits at over 1000yrds with a match M1 Garand w/ iron sights, no optics. I could be wrong but I believe it was done with military surplus ammo too.
I agree. The more I shoot, the more I disregard even the most revered 'experts' views on a cartridge's "inherent accuracy".
As far as I'm concerned, 90% of it comes down to one thing: that rifled tube we send the bullets through.
A good barrel does amazing things.
A mediocre barrel does mediocre things.
The other 10% is controlled by how that barrel is attached to, and interacts with, the rest of the rifle.

Anyone have any experience with the Tikka T3? It's not one that I've thought about before now, but I've seen several mentions of Tikkas on TFL.

...and thanks!

My son-in-law and his family have found the Tikka T3 to be very accurate. I have a Sako A7 in .30-06 that is very similar to the handling of the T3 and probably has the same barrel. Light, trim and well balanced at 6.5 lbs. barrel is hammer forged and looks like a mirror inside.

The T3 has more plastic than the A7 but is $100-$200 cheaper normally. About $560 for synth/blued and $660 for synth/stainless and it comes left handed.

Both have a single stack 3rd magazine which enables some of the trimness in the stock.

Well, I'm still sort of undecided, but I went into town today to see what the LGS had in stock that I could try on for size. I didn't plan on buying anything.
I asked the counter guy to "hand me one of those Savage rifles from his rack to see how it feels" and the only left handed ' 06 rifle in his store just fell into his hand! Somehow that lefty Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP followed me home.

Together with a basic Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope, $510 out the door.

It's a synthetic stock not wood, as I'd prefer, and it's not stainless, but it'll give me an opportunity to see if I like the Savage without investing serious $$.

Range report and pics (if I like it) next week.

Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions. I have a feeling that there'll be another '06 bolt gun in my future, whether I like this one or not.

Glad you found a L handed '06.

I don't remember anyone recommending Montana Rifle Company (MRC).

http://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html#ProductionRifles

Their ASR-SS is $1129, which is a little over your target price, but not by much. It is a fairly good clone of the M70 action, I believe, and accepts aftermarket triggers designed for the M70. (That is, if you can manage to find fault with the already excellent M70 trigger...)

So, you might add MRC to your list. I have no idea where you could find one to "trial fit", short of driving to Montana.

Congratulations on your new lefty rifle. I looked at several brands and really I think nearly any if them are great values and good shooters. Can't hardly go wrong with any of them and '06 is a classic chambering. And one that fits and suits you is all the better. Enjoy that fine rifle!

Savage Freak.

Yeah I know, youv'e all heard it from me before, but I love my Savage 111/detachable magazine, it's a 30-06, and with handloads it easily shoots right around 3/4 MOA, that's with me behind it, a real shooter might really be something to see.;)
Dude you're going to love your rifle too.:)

Back