Opinions 9mm 1911s

Dan Wesson has some very nice 9mms to choose from. The Colt lightweight commander is another fine offering.

DANG IT! All of this talk about '1911 style' 9MM's and the Star BM.

I went to a gun show today looking to buy an AR, guess what followed me home! There were several Star BM's for sale and they were on the high side for their condition. What J&G would sell for $149, people were asking $280+, until I stopped at this one table. They had what I would call a VG/Excellent example for $230. I got it for $220 OTD. Got it home and wiped it down, it is even better looking than I thought. There is no wear in the finish and very little on the outside of the barrel from the slide being cycled. Just ordered some cocobolo grips for it since it is in such good condition.

P.S. - I also got an AR :)

Some suggested the .38 Super. Excellent cartridge.

BUT....

I suspect the modern 9 mm ammo be it whatver weight
can now duplicate the ballistics of the .38 Super and the
ammo will be more readily available and cheaper.

TBM900, may I suggest a variable spring loaded
spacer for your magazines? :)

I have the EMP. Great gun and I've carried it concealed a few times, but to be honest, I think any of my other 9mm sub-compacts (MP9c, SR9c, MP Shield, and P2000sk) are probably superior in this particular role, albeit not as cool to show off at a family BBQ.

emp.jpg

I dare anyone to show me a more accurate rendition of the 1911 in a .380 other then the Browning Black Label Pro.

Some suggested the .38 Super. Excellent cartridge.

BUT....

spacer for your magazines? :)

:D

I have a Sig938 and I have been very pleased thus far. I failed to feed a single JHP, that then later fed and fired just fine. I have read that 1911s can sometimes need a break in with FMJ ammo, though from my initial inspection, this gun was fired enough to start some wear-marks, so more experimentation is needed. It has not choked on any other ammo, and if that continues, I will put my full recommendation behind this one.

"Suspect", but offer no evidence. On the other hand, all my handloading manuals seem to indicate a modest advantage in .38 Super loadings over those for 9MM. And, how much cheaper?

spacer for your magazines?
Is there such a thing?

You don't see a whole lot of 38 super in factory ammo and then the debate starts about using reloads in a CCW gun
How many different .38 Super factory loads are needed before it would be a legitimate carry gun that did not have to rely on hand loads? As I look up on a shelf and see a factory box of .38 Super ammo, it seems non sequitur to extend the debate to carrying handloads in a CCW gun.

That's a shame that the .38 supper is not very popular, it has a great case and with better ammo it comes real close to the .357 Sig. I've always found the 9mm to be the toughest round to get the most accuracy from and that is from a accurate gun, the straight walls of the .38 Super sure make great ammo easy!(from a decent gun)

My point is I cannot remember the last time I saw 38 super ammo in a gun store
Mistakenly bought some at Cabela's a month or so ago..
New to me S&W642..asked bean-bag where .38 special ammo was..he walked up to all the ammo and handed me a box..which I bought..which I found out doesn't fit into a .38Special gun the next day..>38Super

No return..I think I still have it somewhere..

I have 5 1911's. 3 in .45acp 1 in 10mm and 1 in 38 Super. Of those 5 only 1 do I consider a self defense / CCW firearm and it is an all steel commander in .45acp. The others are fun guns used primarily for target shooting, although I have carried the 10mm in the woods.

Since I'm a avid re-loader I gravitate towards cartridges that I feel provide optimum accuracy. Over the years I've had half a dozen various 9mm's but never had one I could shoot that well, finally bought a CZ 85 which is the best of all previous models but still no where near what I can do with a .45acp.

Funny thing is after dabbling in 2 40S&W's which I consider similar to the 9mm accuracy wise I got a 10mm, suddenly the .40cal. became a tack driver. That's when the light bulb came on. I think the short powder column of the 40S&W has an effect and the same is true of 9mm. That's what prompted my interest in the 38 Super. So far, in my opinion, that theory has proven true. The 38 Super is a pure joy to shoot and can easily surpass the performance of a 9mm. ;)

16061067119_23c481af33_c.jpg

Thread woefully short of pictures...

Wonderful to shoot, easy to carry. I've never had any functioning problems with it.

Last edited:
HisSoldier, apparently you are totally unfamiliar with the locked breech Browning 1911 Black Label Pro in .380.

Is it all steel? Does the lockwork appear to be shrunk down 1911 lockwork?

I don't know about this gun, if it is all steel except the grips like an originbal 1911, has the same identical but proportionally sized lockwork, made of steel, I'll agree with you.

I believe many people think just because something looks like another handgun it's identical, for instance many say the P938 is like a 1911, it's totally different everywhere with a few vague similarities, position of the safety and mag release, slide stop and a hammer with locked breech, but doing all those things (Except the slide stop) in different ways.

In my depiction of a 1911 it has an all steel frame, no zinc, no plastic, no aluminum (Original 1911) and no MIM. Very few of what are now called "1911's" are true 1911's. I know Colt started making aluminum framed "1911's" long ago, but I'm talking about the all steel original.
forged
The Llama had an all steel frame, forged steel internal parts, and except for the external extractor was identical to a 1911 in all respects except proportions and quality checking.

I admit the Llama didn't follow the materials specifications outlined by the U.S. Government for it's duty arm but the Llama is far closer than anything made today or since it's time.

Back