Opinions 9mm 1911s

I have a Ruger SR1911 Lightweight 9mm Commander. I think its perfect, but I dont carry it. I would recommend it for the OP, since thats what he is looking for. Mine has a very nice trigger for a production 1911, and I now have almost 7,000 rounds through it without a failure. It will run any ammo, ball or HP, and it just keeps chugging along. I have other 1911s, including a full size, all steel Ruger 9mm, and a Ruger LW 45 Commander, but my Ruger LW 9mm Commander is definitely my favorite.

We have a Springfield 1911 in 9mm. It shoots great, little recoil because of the weight, and accurate. However I don't recall ever carrying it concealed due to its size. The 1911 is made to shoot and enjoy. Most 9mms made for concealed carry are made comfortable to carry but not so rewarding to shoot.

FITASC said:
All steel from Wilson with a Wilson price tag to match. Similar to a 1911, it does not have the grip safety, has the capacity of a G19 (15 rounds), but otherwise performs like a 1911.
The web site says the receiver is aluminum. Still looks a lot to me like an STI-type receiver that has a steel action block in a polymer shell. Whatever it is, it's not all steel.

I carry a RIA 9mm 1911 around my property when I'm on the farm. I love the feel, I love the cocked and locked, and the trigger is smooth as a baby's a--. The problem is it's too big and heavy to carry IWB. I like and prefer a hammer and safety vs a striker and trigger safety for obvious reasons. So right now I'm looking at and seriously considering a Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact. Hammer DA/SA, Safety, high capacity mag 17+1. The others I looked at were SIG 226, CZ2075 Rami and the Bersa Thunder ultra. I carry a Beretta Nano 9mm for almost 3 years. Lately I've read several articles of guys shooting there stuff off by mishandling their weapon. So, that's the reason I'm looking for something else to carry. Price was also a deciding factor.

I use to carry a Colt Defender in 9mm and I loved it. The 1911 is a great profile and 9mm of course is much cheaper to shoot than 45 ACP and will allow you to carry more rounds in your mag. I'm not bashing 45 ACP in 1911's I have those two. Just listing the benifits of a 9mm 1911.

Ed Brown has recently announced their new Evolution (EVO) Series. It's an all-steel single stack 9mm 1911 that has been slimmed down and comes with a four-inch bull barrel and external extractor. It is priced at $1895, substantially less than the rest of their pistols. . . . .
I think this one passed my radar without much notice on my part, but I finally took a look at it today. I'm not usually excited about stainless, but that's a good looking pistol!

For the price, the Star BM is the BEST buy for the money. I have FOUR and plan on another. Get the hand select, Classic Arms. WELL worth the few $$$ difference.

"For the price, the Star BM is the BEST buy for the money. I have FOUR and plan on another. Get the hand select, Classic Arms. WELL worth the few $$$ difference."

I got mine from AIM. The fit and finish are excellent. The sights are decent and the trigger is very nice. For less than $300 OTD it is hard to beat.

Quote:
In the 1911 platform I would choose .38 Super over 9mm.
I agree-so long as the op is wealthy or reloads if he plans on sending a lot of lead downrange.

That's the overwhelming value of having a progressive press, choose your weapon based on the power of the round you want to shoot and not on the price of milsurp 9MM ammo.

I'm convinced cheap is the only reason 9MM is as popular as it is.

I have a DW 10MM and hear people say the same thing about 10Mm, so silly, the 10MM is more powerful at 100 yards than the .45 ACP is at the muzzle, and ammo is cheap for me.

I like 1911 in 9mm. And I also like them in .380.

There is really only one gun close to being a true 1911 in .380, and that's still the Llama locked breech models, especially those made in 1942-44. There are many small 1911 look alikes that have totally different internal systems.

HisSoldier, apparently you are totally unfamiliar with the locked breech Browning 1911 Black Label Pro in .380.

You sir have been served.

If you're looking for a cocked 'n' locked 9mm carry piece, I recommend the SIG P938.

It's literally half the size of a Commander, half the weight of a Combat Commander, and still holds 7+1 with the pinky-rest extended magazine.

I have 1700 rounds through mine, and it's one of my favorite handguns.
Even though it's small, the SIG comes with full-sized night sights, and has nice features like checkered front- and back-straps, and ambi safety.

I just picked up a Springfield EMP4 Lightweight Champion Concealed Carry Contour (yeah, that's a mouthful, isn't it?) a couple of months ago and I really like it...

Rather than just putting a 9mm barrel in the frame and a spacer block into a magazine designed for a significantly longer cartridge, the EMP action is specifically designed and sized to the scale of the 9mm round. Supposedly that helps with reliability; I do know that the size difference is apparent if you put the EMP next to a standard 1911, or even a Commander. It still feels just fine and 1911-like to me, but the size reduction really seems to help with concealing it. It's very similar in size to a G19 - maybe a bit thinner.

It's a joy to shoot if you like 1911s. I can easily get the best groups out of any of my defensive-caliber pistols with it. So far it's completely reliable with every round I've shot through it except the Underwood Extreme Defender (I suspect the "points" on the nose were catching on the feed path somewhere - like all 1911's I've seen, the ramp is rather steep). It seems to love the Federal HST though.

Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a 9mm "1911"...

Wow. I'd almost forgotten about that one (the Springfield EMP4 Lightweight Champion Concealed Carry Contour, thank you copy & paste). I sure do like the looks of it!

Ed Brown has recently announced their new Evolution (EVO) Series. It's an all-steel single stack 9mm 1911 that has been slimmed down and comes with a four-inch bull barrel and external extractor. It is priced at $1895, substantially less than the rest of their pistols.

The "rub" is that they won't customize it in order to keep the price down. I assume you can send it back in for them to do some basic changes they list, like different sights. They will have different configurations later but they will be built in batches to save costs. An aluminum alloy frame version would likely be $200+ more than the all-steel version.

I'm still working on a justification for getting this pistol.

It would be nice, at least for us LH 15% of the population if they would just out an ambi safety on it.

I too have been looking at a Springfield EMP4 9mm contour carry and have posted on other forums looking for answers on how these hold up to a lot of shooting. So far can't get much info other then people that buy them love them but high round count EMP's are real hard to find.
Buckey,

What is your budget? If you can go to about $1300 I would look a the Dan Wesson Valkyrie. You can still find them even thought they have been discontinued. You can get it in CCO or Commander length frames. I prefer the Commander. Dollar for Dollar the best value in a carry 1911 9mm IMHO. Also if you go the 9mm 1911 route get good mags. Wilson, Tripp, Metalforms or Chip Mccormicks, if you can find them.

I currently carry a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and it is a 1911 like pistol. It has a 1911 feel but give you 15+1 and a different grip profile. They are a love it or leave it gun. It really takes about 500+ rounds to get a feel for the gun. Lots of people are selling them like new in the box because they expected it to be more 1911 like and they IMHO have not shot it enough to appreciate the platform. You know that because their for sale ads talk about 150-200 round round counts.

z5tCWA5.jpg

6pilb06.jpg

fZ5chLt.jpg

Last edited:
I too have been looking at a Springfield EMP4 9mm contour carry and have posted on other forums looking for answers on how these hold up to a lot of shooting. So far can't get much info other then people that buy them love them but high round count EMP's are real hard to find.
Buckey,

Well, I'm up to around 600. Sorry mine's not a "high round count" yet, but I'm working on it!

Ive tried running 9mm in my 1911's but they don't seem to feed right for some reason.....

:confused:
IMG-7055.jpg

I kid I kid :D

But seriously...
Those that mentioned the Star 9mm's are correct, I picked a number of them from the early surplus batches that came in. Fine shooters, great quality, and still a good bargain even though they have gone up in price quite a bit.

Back