One 40 S&W

tomrkba

If you could have just one pistol in 40 S&W, which would you choose?

Do not overthink this. Whatever the situation is, you can have just one pistol in 40 S&W. You have your whole collection of guns. You can swap it for another and buy more guns. Assume that the limit is not legal, but for some sort of personal reason such as not quite believing 40 S&W is the ultimate semiauto caliber, but secretly hoping it really is 40 Deathray.

I have a Stoeger Cougar 8040. Beretta started making these back in the early 1990's when .40 was becoming the law enforcement round of choice so these were originally designed around .40 S&W.

Beretta couldn't sell these at what they were asking so they moved all the equipment to their sister company, Stoeger, in Turkey. Same workmanship just not quite as pretty.

So, as this pistol was originally designed for the round, it's my .40 of choice.

I like .40 a lot.

I have several .40's but I really like my first gen Walter P99 with the AS trigger. Its over 20 years old now, it handles well ergonomically, and its been 100% reliable.

I have a Sig P226 and a P229 in .40. I also have barrels for both in .357 Sig. Then I have a Beretta Model 96FS Police Special in .40 that was aa LE trade-in from Ruleville, MS.

The P226 was a trade-in from Auburn, AL. The P229 was a trade-in from Opelika, AL.

They were great buys a few years ago when LE Agencies started the migration from .40 to 9mm.

The two Sigs are almost like new whereas the Beretta is in good condition but well worn. There is something weird about how the Beretta simply melts into my hand.

XDm 3.8. Concealable (under a jacket) with 16+1 capacity. Doesn't shoot like their 5 inch guns but it's close. Eats anything you give it and is close to indestrucible. Can be much improved with aftermarket trigger kits and guide rods and recoil springs,not to mention Dawson sights.I have loved mine since day one and it serves as my house gun.

If I were to have a 40 in my collection, and could have only 1, it would be a G22. I was issued one for a number of years and am comfortable and familiar with it. I am also currently issued a G17, which is also the same size, again familiarity. It may not be the best of most fun choice, its a plain jane gun, but it would be the most practical for me.

Last edited:
Meh, If 40 was my ONLY option, a G22, simply because I was issued one and carried one for a number of years. With that said I declined to buy my issued weapon, for a fairly low price, when my agency converted to 9mm. Having shot a fair number of calibers and guns, I am just, personally, not a fan of 40.

Please review the first post. You have all your other guns and have decided to keep only one in 40 S&W.

Back