Older gent with some strange issues

Don, every Marine receives intensive marksmanship training and shooting tiny groups is the point of the training.

The USMC marksmanship manual is available online. Its worth a read.

Can you elaborate? Is there some way to work around it?

A detail from yesterday I forgot: He picked up my AR with a 1 moa red dot sight and hit a silhouette at 330 yards in 3 or 4 (I forget which) shots.

A prism causes all kinds of crazy issues lining up sights. Past that I dont know why, but I know it does. Red dot is parallex free, so it makes sense he could shoot it well. When standing, he was probably only looking at front sight and that was mitigating the vision problem.

I am inclined to suspect the lenses, before anything else.
But it could be cheek weld, stressing the stock, or any number of other factors.

(...) but he likes to remind me he qualified expert back in his day, (...)
That doesn't take much. It just means that you are above average in a pool of lowest common denominators.
I know that hurts some people's feelings, but it's the truth. No matter the branch of service, "Expert Marksman" is just a feel-good award for not sucking as bad as everyone else.

Case in point:
I qualified "Expert" in 3-round burst with an M16A2. That's how low the expectations are.

Prism Lenses gives the tell. In eye glasses there are numbers for near /far correction and astigmatism correction. With Prism lenses there is yet another set of numbers to clear up the double vision distortion for (usually) height or width but in some cases both.

If you look at his targets and shooting style from the bench look to see if one eye is shut. If so look for the offset on the target. Then compare to standing....chances are that in one scenario he is one eye open and the other both eyes open. If so that is the issue.

It likely is the difference between combat shotgun style shooting (for situational awareness) vs. sniping (for pecision). If this is the case than the prism offset is confusing him and he needs to learn the mental adjustments.

Good he is out shooting though. As we age we need to be able to adapt to our vision changes. This does not sound like "strange issues" and a need to make psychological diagnosis like PTSD for crying out loud. Although I will admit finding that analysis humorous. Just wait until you get into your sixties and up!

Next time we meet, I think I'll get him to fire off-hand and study his position, and then see what he is doing on the rest. I'm thinking he is changing something when shooting from a rest.

I think you’ll find this is the best approach. I’m assuming his vision is better Shooting off hand vs the bench. It has to due with his alignment while looking through his glasses.

I struggle with this when I shoot archery with my progressive glasses (similar to bi-vocals). Slight movement left or right and I lose vision.

While on bench he’s adjusting to the seat and rest, it wasn’t fitted to him. Shooting of hand everything comes naturally into alignment.

Why would he shoot so poorly off of a rest, and shoot so well off hand?
Hmmmm...it's also possible he was trying to teach you a thing or too. There might have been more to his aim than the group.;)

"G-D" the reason is simple, He's a Marine! Everybody knows that Marines always shoot better when "Pissed-off". Tell him to get his ass in the dirt and start shooting "Prone", then from the Knee, Sitting, and Off-hand. Maybe you could spray him down with a garden hose, "If it ain't raining, it ain't training!". Grunts always shoot better in the dirt, only POGs shoot better from a bench...

Last edited:
As a glasses wearing Marine, make sure he is viewing the sights through the center of his glasses while shooting from a bench. I prefer to shoot offhand or sitting than from a bench. I typically use a bench to setup a rifle and for load development, the rest of my shooting is from field positions.

HiBC....

I had the same eye surgery earlier this year with the same results, except had to have additional retina surgery on my left eye.
It could take several more months to clear up completely according to the doc. The right eye is 20/20 distance, and I use 3.25x readers.

Haven’t been to a range yet though, with all the Chinese Virus going on.

Armybrat...I was one of those,too.

I'm real happy with my outcome. Up close,approx 2.5 diopter readers are necessary. But I can see handgun sights just fine with no correction.

I haven't been shooting yet,either! Still have one more post op appt.

Of course,I don't know if the Gentleman from the OP has the same issue.

am i the only one thinking here,

the issue is most likely that he is resting the wrong rifle component on the bench rest,

OR get this,

the chair/bench/rest setup is NOT letting him get the rifle mounted to his shoulder properly. There are times that if you cannot get the rilfe mounted to the shoulder correctly, you wont hit a washer box at 50 yards.

Why would he shoot so poorly off of a rest, and shoot so well off hand?
Quit trying to fix what isn't broke.
He shoots well - just leave it at that.

There is no hard and fast rule that says "Everyone in the world has to shoot this way - or else".

What works for him is what works for him.
He shoots exactly the way he was taught to shoot & by your own admission, it works very well for him.

Trust me on this - if you try to force him to change, all you'll accomplish is to piss him off to the point that he won't ever want to shoot again.

Army Brat said:
HiBC....

I had the same eye surgery earlier this year with the same results, except had to have additional retina surgery on my left eye.
It could take several more months to clear up completely according to the doc. The right eye is 20/20 distance, and I use 3.25x readers.

Haven’t been to a range yet though, with all the Chinese Virus going on.

HiBC said:
Armybrat...I was one of those,too.

I'm real happy with my outcome. Up close,approx 2.5 diopter readers are necessary. But I can see handgun sights just fine with no correction.

I haven't been shooting yet,either! Still have one more post op appt.

Just had mine last month, but my vision was corrected for a bit less than three feet. No insurance coverage, but without the procedure I wouldn't have been able to drive at night, which is more than 16 hours per day in winter.

It's hard for a person to appreciate the severity of the impairment until after the remedial surgery.

72 year old Vietnam vet just started wearing glasses in Jan. 2020. Had to learn to shoot using the center of my glasses. Looking at target from top or bottom of glasses would not work.

I’d suspect it’s vision related. The angles are different from your eyes to the sights/target when resting rather than standing.

Back