Ohio TFL gathering

Ok, here is the email I got from 3gun.

The rifle club (Tusco) I belong to is having a steel plate shoot on March 25th(Sunday). This shoot is open to the public. Rifles, pistols, shotguns and full auto all have a place. Shooting runs from around 10am until about 4pm.
Nonmembers must stay at the steel match unless you are with a member. Memberships are around $63 the first year and $37 the following years and are available at the snack bar during the shoot. The club has a 300yard main range, 3 trap fields, a couple of 100 yd ranges and a 50 yd pistol/22 only range and a practice range which is open to full auto. It's located in the Dover area.

How's that sound guys? I could probably swing it (spring quarter starts the next day, might be a pain but doable). I've never done a plate shoot before, sounds interesting.

falconer,

Tusco is a really nice place - Plateshooter brought me to one of the shoots there last year and I had a great time. It's a very humbling experience though - I realized just how much more pactice I need and just how well some people can really shoot. The only saving grace of my outing is that I actually did well on the pistol course my first time through it. Unfortunately, Sundays are pretty much out for me (at least until after Easter) - but maybe we can get something else together for a Saturday sometime in the future.

Engineer,

Sundays aren't the greatest for me either because of work. Maybe we could meet at Tusco, just not the day of the event?

hksigwalther , No clue. Dover or New Philly exit maybe? Does anyone who is a member of Tusco know if we could all gather there on Saturday the 24th?

Hmm. I think there is someone in FNFAL.com that either is a member or goes there frequently. I'll have to ask over there (if the site is back up from maintenance).

Engineer, what are the requirements for Zeppelin Rifle Club? And when did Stonewall allow rifle (centerfire)? Back when I was a member when it was only $100/yr, they only allowed .22lr rifle maximum and no 12ga slugs.

I have my little Tusco card somewhere at home and I think it either has directions or the address ... I'll have to look for it when I get home from work tonight.

Zeppelin's only real restriction is that you have to be recommended by a member. You basically need a member with you to get in and shoot there as a guest. After someone comes with you as a guest two or three times, they expect your guest to sign up as a member. I believe the fees are something like $150 for the first year ($100 initiation + $50 dues) and then $50 a year thereafter. After getting a member signature on your application card, you just have to go through a basic safety course with one of the range officers (they're sticklers there for safety, which, IMHO, is a good thing) where you basically show them you know how to carry a gun up to the firing line, can shoot without putting holes in yourself, and that's about it. Then I think they go through the list of new applicants every board meeting which happens about once a month. Unfortunatley, I live far enough away that I really have to plan a trip out there otherwise, I think I would take advantage of the facilities more.

As for Stonewall, I think high-power centerfile rifles are allowed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. But at $15 an hour, it's pretty pricey. I've also shot my 12 ga there, but I don't remember if the no slugs rule applied (I was only shooting birdshot at the time). I believe membership is now up to something like $200 or $225 a year (yikes!)

Not much else up around here except Big Bore in Eastlake and On Target in Lorain (unless anybody knows of any others).

Tusco

Getting to the rifle club is easy. From I-77 get to US 250 East. On US 250 the exit you want is Midvale. Turn left (north into town) at the end of the ramp and follow the signs. Tusco is a members only club unless you are attending an open shoot,like the plate match on March 25th. Members are able to bring one guest to the range and they must stay together. Don't know how hard it would be to schedule a TFL members day or cost, but I can find out if need be. Great club,great people. Well worth the trip if you have the time.

Ok, so do we all meet at Tusco for the plate shoot the 25th, or try a different location? Maybe just everyone meet at Pro Gun or Stone Hedge or something?

Center of Mass

I'm curious to see how many people we have here that are interested and where a central meeting area might be - maybe Akron or a little further south??? Sundays are usually out for me unless you guys plan on staying later into the afternoon/early evening.

Falconer,
Do you have any info on the plate shoot.
What can we use? time? Number of rounds? Distance? Any outher good info?

The olny day I can't make it is March 6th.

Ok,

So far we have me, dave, engineer, 3gun, 1s1k, hksigwalther, RAE, rvb, plateshooter and AK2KX(if he feels like making the drive from detriot).

Akron seems like a central location and Tusco wouldn't be bad either.

So, do we all want to attend the plate shoot on the 25 (engineer can't make it then)? Or shall we meet at a range in the Akron area on the 24th?

Maybe one of the guys from Tusco could post rules, times, etc... for the plate shoot.

Some Tusco pics

Hey guys,

One of the people I shoot with took some photos of the Tusco range and the different courses they have. I'm not sure if he wanted me linking directly to his page, so I copied some of the photos and captions and placed them on my photopoint page - you can get to the here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1357396&a=11596441

As far as rifles, anything goes ... though most people had AR's there .. but there was everything there including people with bolt guns. You can take a look at the course in some of the pictures. My first outing with my AR took me 20 rounds to take out all the targets.

My only qualm with Sunday mornings is that I have church obligations so I can't make it out until probably early afternoon if I have to drive down to Tusco. The range is really a nice place - I was drooling when I first saw it.

Costs...

Oh yeah, when I went to Tusco - it was a fun shoot and if I remember correctly, it was either $1 a run or $5 to shoot all day at the rifle stations and $1 a run at the pistol course.

BTW, the other dates for the shoots are (these are all Sundays and subject to change because I am just copying down the disclaimer on the page they gave me with the dates :) )

April 22
May 20
June 24
July 15
August 12
September 9
September 23
October 21
November 4

Tusco rules

My guess is that the 3/25/01 shoot will be a "fun" match.Shoot whatever you have against anyone you'd like.

The rules at Tusco during all matches... 1) Safety first! If your not sure of what is being asked of you or why,sound off. The 4 basic rules are followed on all ranges. Load only on the firing line and only on command. Eyes and ears are a good idea at all times anywhere on the grounds.

For timed rifle matches the shoots are broken up into classes and your times are base within that group only. Class 1: Big bore,box fed,iron sights;ie M1a AR-10 AK 47. Class 2: Small bore,box fed,iron sights;ie AR-15 Mini-14 M1 carbine and pistol calibers. Class 3:Top loaded,iron sights;SKS M1 Garand. Class 4: any of the above with other than iron sights. Class 5:Box fed full auto. Class 6: Belt fed full auto. Bolt gun run sometimes as a side match. No AP is the only ammo restriction that I've heard.

The race plate set up is run man against man. 6 plates,3 bowling pin shaped,3 appox 8" round. Can be shot with pistols, shotguns, 22 rifle or full auto in pistol calibers. First man down with his plates wins,loser pays a dollar. No slugs or 00.

The last course that runs is an "IDPA" style shoot. Pistols and pistol caliber full auto. A holster and ammo carriers are helpful but not required. 3 10 round mags or 4 speed loaders will cover the course if you do your part. Often a combo of plates and paper with catch thrown in,IE shooting on the move or carrying out your DUMMY pardner.

It is a family club so kids ARE welcome and shoot free during most if not all fun matches. They must have eyes and ears and stay with an adult.We have a snack bar on the grounds. A small mall with dinning avaible is 10 minutes away.

Hey 3 gun, just got a letter from Marc the range officer. Seems that all of the shoots will be fun shoots this year, and all shoots will have all three ranges going. Should be another great year. See ya on the 25th.

Sunday looks like a wash for me at this point, but Saturday's doable for me. "Grandma Winchester" (my wife) usually has to work Saturdays, so I hope you guys appreciate the brow beating I'll get for going shooting without her ;)

Maybe we can break it into Saturday at Pro Gun and Sunday at Tusco? The reason I suggest Pro is that they allow rifles all the time. Plus they are pretty handy to the freeway. 25 yards with a rifle is kinda bad, but better than nothing I guess.

Is Pro Gun the shop that purchased the former auto dealership property next door and turned it in to an indoor range? I don't frequent Akron gun shops much.

These Tusco shoot sound very nice.

Back