oh the myths that surround hunting.

tahunua001

hello all,
this is a rant about a personal pet peeve of mine, but I'll try to segue it into an actual topic for discussion. I have not been hunting long by most people's standards, about 15 years broken by a period of military service where hunting wasn't an option. however I find it interesting the generalizations, myths, and flat out lies that I've heard regarding hunting as a whole, most I've heard from fine online forums just like this one. here are just a few that I've seen.

1: person X would not hunt using a certain method for ethical reasons, even though it's legal. therefore, person Y is an unethical hunter for using that method. FALSE

ethics are subjective and unique to each individual. ethics can also be affected by environment. one example is that in larger metropolitan areas, it is not considered unethical to hire several unpaid interns and have them compete for a single paid opening, in smaller cities, internships are generally well paid and usually are for the purpose of "test driving" an individual to decide whether they are a good fit for a company. a large stock broker would probably laugh at the notion of hiring interns one at a time to see how they performed and a small insurance firm would likely face public scrutiny for having a large number of unpaid interns running around vying for a single opening(especially considering legal implications from laws such as HIPAA). just because one person has never been in the situation of have to take a long distance shot at an animal does not mean that another is unethical for doing so, in some areas, that's standard operating procedure.

2:magazines that hold more than 5 rounds are illegal to hunt with in most states.

False. I actually spent much of the afternoon yesterday scrolling through various state hunting regulations to see if this was even remotely true. of 30 states I looked at, 27 offered no limitation on magazine capacity for rifles and of the 3 that do, only 2 limit to 5 rounds. I grew tired of researching so my list is incomplete, but I did find that the majority of states, at least 28 of 50 allow hunting with 10 round or higher capacity rifles.

3:.223/5.56mm is illegal to hunt with in most states.

again false. of the 30 states I looked at, 26 allowed hunting with anything larger than 22lr, including 223 remington as rimfire was specified. again the majority of states allow use of 223.

4:I had some goober try to tell me once that 300 winchester magnum is the greatest deer cartridge of all time. this is more of a topic of semantics than anything, but I've killed deer deader than dead with 9mm, 243, 6.5 grendel, and seen it done with 22lr and 223. I've also seen deer shot with magnums ranging from 7mm rem mag to 300 weatherby mag get up and "fly away". at this point, I really don't think there is a "greatest deer cartridge ever made". there is a rifle you know how to use and one you don't know how to use. if you don't know the limitations of your cartridge(or devastating effects of an overkill cartridge) you're not bringing a lot of meat home.

5: Does taste better than bucks. I've eaten a few deer in my lifetime. I've eaten some truly disgusting old muledeer that should have died of natural causes long before we got him and I've eaten some poor little fawns that were barely out of spots. however I have never seen a correlation between male and female tasting differently. I believe that age, and diet play a much larger role. my first buck was a young, but large 6x5 whitetail which I shot out of a stubble field, he likely spent his winters raiding the nearby hay barns and his summers in wheat, pea, and garbanzo bean fields, he was the most delicious buck I can remember eating. I was recently gifted some white tail deer meat from a friend that was emptying his freezer to make room for this season's haul, it was also a large buck from what I'm told and was also shot out of a wheat field. it also tastes quite good. I have also eaten meat from while tailed does shot on a piece of land we call "the breaks" pictured below which tasted pretty gamey and foul. this is also a territory mostly inhabited by muledeer which I pretty much refuse to hunt because of the taste I associate with them. however my brother in law shot a large muley buck out of a wheat field in a small area which shouldn't even have muleys on it and that deer tastes just fine. judging by this data I am willing to wager an educated hypothesis that gender is far less relevant to the taste of an animal than the diet that it enjoys.
stelprdb5213869.jpg

some state specific myths

6: Rattlesnakes are protected species in Idaho and may not be killed on sight.
false, as per IDFG a single person can kill and possess a total of 4 rattlesnakes with no permits, tags, etc.

7: Texas does not allow hunting with M1 garands because they have a 5 round capacity.
false, TX was one of the states I researched, they have no standing capacity limitations for rifles.

these are just the most recent ones in my mind. what are your favorite hunting myths?

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve myth is about "buck tracks". I know a number of people who honestly believe that all bucks leave dew claw marks, no matter if they are walking or running, on hard or soft ground. On one occasion a big doe ran in front of myself and one of those believers. Sure enough either due to her size or that she was bounding she left dew claw prints and he said, "must have been a buck with no horns". I laughed thinking he was joking but he was dead serious!

Is it really unethical to use headshots when hunting deer? Or is this just rhetoric?
I think the issue lies in a possible bad miss. If you don't hit spine or brain the deer could theoretically live long enough to be predated, starve or die from infection. Boiler room is the safer shot due to its size and lethality of hitting lungs and/or heart.

I wouldn't call it unethical. Questionable in certain conditions (or depending on the skill of the hunter).

Are they supposed to run a bit when you hit them behind the shoulder? I shot my firsthe deer behind the shoulder and it ran maybe 50 or so yards and died.

Sometimes they will run 100 yards or so after a fatal behind the shoulder hit. Even with a direct heart shot.

Are they supposed to run a bit when hit in the shoulder?

Ideally no. HOWEVER, any shot that does not cause a significant disruption to the CNS may result in the deer running off. Deer run with blown out hearts and blown out lungs. Lots of animals, including humans, can do this.

So it is common for animals to run when hit in the shoulder and they can run with with the bones broken.

Unless you damage the spinal cord or the brain, most deer will run some distance.

Head shots aren't a high percentage target since they move it so quick and often, and the "kill zone' is only about the size of a baseball

A well placed broadside shot, just behind the shoulder with an adequate cartridge/bullet combination, will almost always have the deer dead on the ground in less than 100 yds.

The ideal bullet will pass all the way through and give you a good exit wound, providing a blood trail, while still expanding and doing a lot of internal damage to the heart and lungs

Is it really unethical to use headshots when hunting deer? Or is this just rhetoric?
I personally do not believe that it is unethical. it's a smaller target than the heart and lungs and it's easier to maim the animal if your shot is off, even by a little. I have only taken 1 head shot as my first shot, although I usually follow up with a head shot to make sure it stays down.

Are they supposed to run a bit when you hit them behind the shoulder? I shot my firsthe deer behind the shoulder and it ran maybe 50 or so yards and died.
in all but my most recent deer, those hit with a "textbook" behind the shoulder shot have made it at least 25 yards.

As the OP stated, ethics are personal.

For me, an attempt at a headshot on an animal outside of contact distance is not just unethical, it's not a good idea: the target is very small, moves randomly, and is surrounded by bone, much of which presents shallow angles to the bullet ..... it is a low percentage shot, and even a small error can result in a deer with a wound that will be lethal .....just not today..... or even tomorrow. Somewhere on this forum there's a gamecam pic of a buck with his lower jaw mostly blown off ..... if it was intended as a headshot, it was just a 2 or 3 inch error from the intended POI..... had the shooter aimed for the boiler room, he could have had twice the error and still recovered the animal in short order .....

I speak from experience here: get your search-fu on and find my tale of getting cute with an attempted head shot on a button buck at short range with an open sighted .30-30 and some 170gr Nosler Partitions..... I learned quite a lot that day ..... I missed the brain by only an inch ...... and it was sheer luck that I recovered the animal ....

Are they supposed to run a bit when you hit them behind the shoulder?

those hit with a "textbook" behind the shoulder shot

IME, deer either don't read the textbooks, or intentionally strive to refute them.

I've seen deer shot through the heart/lungs do everything from run like their tail was on fire for up to 200 yards to drop to the shot, to rearing up on their hind legs, turning a complete circle while pawing once to each of the four winds before falling over backwards, to flinch and look around (that last example- did it 3 times ..... before walking in a circle and laying down to die- 3 hits with a .270WIN (150gr SGK with an estimated impact velocity in excess of 2400 f/sec) to the chest ....

Textbooks? Deer don't read.

That said, every deer I've ever shot through the heart or lungs died, and within a minute.

.223/5.56mm is illegal to hunt with in most states.

again false. of the 30 states I looked at, 26 allowed hunting with anything larger than 22lr, including 223 remington

The last time I found data showing all 50 states there were 4 or 5 that did not allow 223 and did allow other rifles. There are a few states, or at least parts of them that do not allow rifles at all so the total would be 6 or 7. There have been a few states that changed their laws recently to allow them. I think the data I saw was current enough to include those.

Those laws were written years ago before 223 was even invented. The purpose was to prohibit 22 Hornet. There is no reason 223 or even 22-250 should not be legal for deer.

Lots of others.

Don't know about deer, but in Australia, commercial hunters supplying kangaroo meat are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to take head shots, and IIRC are required to pass a marksmanship test proving their ability to do so.

In Oregon only semiautomatic rifles have a round limit to 5. Lever and bolt guns have no limit. I usually only put 2 or 3 rounds in my repeaters but lately I prefer to hunt with a single shot so not round limit to worry about...

Crazy but true, you can hunt deer in OR, with a .22 Hornet since all .22 and larger center-fire rifles are legal...

Tony

I will take a reasonable headshot (And have). Three years ago I shot a doe that was limping along on three legs feeding. I thought sure it had a leg blown off, but due to the higher brush and the bad leg on the opposite side, I was wrong. The deer had a horrendous shoulder wound. It was a late season hunt and the exposed meat was starting to dry out. The bone was sharply broken and exposed. I got it before the infection really set in and just cut off the bad shoulder. It looked as if it was hit with a shotgun almost straight down from a tree stand. The old myth about "Wounding MORE deer for a slow death with head shots" is nonsense. There is absolutely no proof that the head shot mortally wounds more deer than a lousy body shot will. I used to hike a lot after season to get out of the house. I have found a lot of dead body shot deer (Usually numerous shots per deer) and never one shot in the head. How many of you go out after season to hike around?

Most of the myths I hear have to do with skinning cleaning and processing.
"If you let them hang in the fur the meat gets a gamey taste"

You have to hang them with the head down.
You have to hang them with the head up.

It has to be hot water to rinse the cavity.
It has to be cold water to rinse the cavity.

A guy I used to hunt with judged deer activity by the ratio of cows laying down versus up and about. He believed if half the cows were up and about 50% of the deer were up and moving.

Whatever keeps you going I guess:confused:

The old myth about "Wounding MORE deer for a slow death with head shots" is nonsense
I wouldn't say it's nonsense or a myth. if the only way to kill a deer with a cavity shot was with a heart shot then it would be nonsense because the brain and heart are the same size but since you also factor in a lung shot as a kill shot too it is much easier to get a kill shot by hitting a lung than hitting the brain. if you miss the brain, you're not hitting a vital organ in the head and if you blow a jaw off, that animal is going to die a slow death from starvation.

"If you let them hang in the fur the meat gets a gamey taste"
I've heard that one recently from my brother in law. he specified that it'd get bad because the meat needed to be cooled as soon as possible. however I think of all the people that need to track their game after it's been shot, how long that heat is all being trapped in the meat while you're fumbling around trying to find it. I didn't have to track, I even took it back to my mother's property 3 miles away to gut it since I didn't want to have to do it in the dark. it was still pretty darn hot when I opened it up. but once it's open, gutted, and hosed out, there isn't a whole lot of ambient heat left in it. I hanged it in a walk in cooler and was told the hair on it would ruin the meat, an open cavity will more than allow the meat to cool from both sides before it goes bad.

You have to hang them with the head down.
I always hang head down, not because of somebody telling me I have to, but because hanging from the Achilles tendons gives you the easiest thing to hook onto and also lets you hang the most meat farthest from the ground so the cats aren't getting into the meat.
You have to hang them with the head up.
never have heard that one I suppose it would give the best way to drain and residual blood, but I've never done it that way.

It has to be hot water to rinse the cavity.
this would seem to be counter productive. the reason for gutting immediately is to cool the meat as fast as possible, if you're rinsing in hot water you're actually adding heat.

It has to be cold water to rinse the cavity.
I hear this all the time and I follow it, not only for the reasons I stated above but also... my garden hose doesn't have a "hot" setting.
A guy I used to hunt with judged deer activity by the ratio of cows laying down versus up and about. He believed if half the cows were up and about 50% of the deer were up and moving.
never have heard that one. makes no sense to me at all. I used to always hear if you saw cows or sign of cows, you wouldn't find any deer, but I've seen enough deer raiding hay barns, water troughs, and inside pastures with the cows to know that is also a myth.

Back