Offhand group sizes

SHE3PDOG said:
How much time do you guys take with these tight groups for the varying sizes?

As much time as it takes*:
MrBorland said:
4. Take as much time as you need to make a good shot. It's just you and your gun, so there's no need to rush a shot. Further, don't be afraid to abort the shot if it doesn't all look perfect, if you held too long, or if you suddenly find yourself wondering what you're gonna make for dinner.

As far as marksmanship, you're better off at your next range visit shooting a mere 10 rounds really well than 100 rounds "just ok".

*unless you're formally competing, in which case, you may not have that luxury ;).

I agree with that statement. I'm going to the range today, and I'll definitely be shooting for groups. The only thing I don't like about the place I go to is the targets are on those hanging ones, and they take a long time to stop swinging.

The only thing I don't like about the place I go to is the targets are on those hanging ones, and they take a long time to stop swinging.
Get a medium size paper clamp and attach it to the bottom of the target it helps a lot.
th

Question to me about how long it takes to put 50 shots on paper?

Not very long. I just bang them out. I shoot about 8 targets per hour so about 400 rounds per hour. I find that if I go slow or try to hard I throw flyers. When I am just banging them out at the pace I like, I do better.

Since I am posting more, more pictures. Of course 50 shots, 15 yrds off hand.

single_action.jpg

1939 Registered Magnum.

psp_15yrds.jpg

My H&K P7PSP (Carry gun with carry ammo)

pre25_123010.jpg

Pre-25 Target shooter.

pre28_021206.jpg

Pre-28 Duty Gun

229sport_2.jpg

229 Sport

3844od_022813_1.jpg

38/44 Outdoorsman

Progress

Range day one after making this thread. This is how all of my groups have looked for the last several months.

7 yds, it was just under 2 inches from tip to tip.
2e4hs84.jpg

Range day two (today) after making this thread. Accuracy improved quite a bit, and I felt confident enough to move out to the next line at the range (10 yds).

7 yds, it was .74 in from tip to tip, most of the groups were closer to 1 inch though. This was the best from the day, and also the last.
2rfu9kx.jpg

10 yds, this was how pretty much all my 10 yd shots were. 1.5 in from tip to tip.
2res8p3.jpg

All groups were shot with my Glock 19.

Last edited:
One of my better 25 yard groups shot one-handed.

DSCN0238_zps47efe795.jpg

Using this revolver, as issue sights. I had aim at a clump of grass behind and under the target frame because this gun shoots about 16 inches high at 25 yards.

DSCN04491_zps71085d00.jpg

I use a sandbag when sighting in. I practice for home and self defense so most of my shots are freestanding. Below are a couple of targets I shot with my Ruger SR45 freestanding / freehand.

SR45 230gr. Geco FMJ (3.6" group) at 25 yrds.
a1so69.jpg

SR45 230 gr. Geco FMJ (1.5" group) at 10 yrds.
96aqyo.jpg

Happytrails, those groups are right about what I'm shooting, though your 25 yard is probably a little better than mine.

SHE3PDOG.....Happytrails, those groups are right about what I'm shooting, though your 25 yard is probably a little better than mine.

I must admit, that was a good day for me but it ain't bad for a blind man. Out to 25 yrds. I usually hit in the black on those type targets. I won't be satisfied till I can shoot out the bulls-eye with every shot......Wish me luck.....I will definitely need it. :D

I usually hit in the black on those type targets. I won't be satisfied till I can shoot out the bulls-eye with every shot......Wish me luck.....I will definitely need it.

That is definitely the boat I'm in now. My biggest limiting factor now is probably time and sometimes a lack of ammo.

Dry fire practice is probably the most efficient use of your time.

If you're interested in handgun marksmanship, consider bullseye competition. To get started, you'd only need something like a Ruger MkIII (and a red dot sight, if you're eyes are no longer "young"). Finding .22LR ammo might be the toughest part, nowadays. :mad:

This is what I strive for. If I keep up with practice, this is the norm at 7 yards. As I add weeks or months between practice sessions, this opens up. I've done even better and quite a bit worse. Only with my EDC, do I generally shoot for groups and that group is a full magazine. It is the rotated carry ammo which is first down range, always, no matter the range trip.

I will sometimes shoot for groups with a bolt-action .22, rested, but that is because it is so relaxing.

rotatecarry.jpg

That score I shot in post #48 with that open top 1860 Army Colt. I think the fact that I had to aim at an area in the grass to make it hit bullseye was kind of an advantage. By removing the distraction of the bullseye, I naturally focused on keeping the sights perfectly aligned while squeezing the trigger. I'm almost tempted to adjust the sights of my more serious target pistols so I have to hold like that to hit the bullseye.

My biggest limiting factor now is probably time and sometimes a lack of ammo.
Dry fire & refer to post #41....

Make a "lack" of ammunition work in your favor, not against you.

Look at two of the finest shots ever - Elmer Keith and Annie Oakley.
Both were market hunters & both had a very limited supply of ammunition to ply their trade with.

They learned through necessity to make each and every shot count as best it could.

One reason I don't like to recommend the .22rimfire as a training tool is the cheapness of bulk ammunition.
Shooting, like any other discipline, is mostly mental.
W/"cheap" ammunition there's always the tendency to discount poor shooting by saying, "well, it's only cheap .22ammo. It's not like I blew a fortune".

When you give into that, you've lost the mental battle and your shooting will suffer for it.

Even just a couple of years ago I would have been posting on this thread with some pretty nice groups, but the past two years or so I have not spent time at the range as I used to, my eyesight has gotten marginally worse, other things in life just have cut deeply into the time I spend at the range and at the reloading bench. My accuracy and consistency have suffered. Just a few months ago my trips to the range were frustrations for me, because I cannot consistently hit with my 686 8" with a red dot sight at 75 yds like I used to.

but it is my fault, I have not been able to practice. Just before Christmas I did entertain the thought of just quitting shooting, too many other things to take up my time that are much more important, and there will be much more demands on my time for the foreseeable future.

I have just decided that I will do what I can as I can, and not worry about it. My trips to the range will be fewer, but I cannot give it up completely, even though I do not shoot like I once did. I will have to live vicariously through you guys and just remember when I could shoot groups like in some of these posts.

Either that, or there will be several guns and much reloading and casting equipment up for sale.

Thank you all for your pictures

David

David - Thanks for your perspective and the reminder that there are sometimes more important things to tend to than getting to the range. The challenge is keeping it a fun diversion when the opportunity allows for it. I sincerely hope you hang onto your gear, and use it well when you have the chance.

Back