Offhand group sizes

Bob Wright just brought to my attention that I am wrong on the distance for big bore. It's been years since I shot steel. Anyway, double the numbers for big bore.

NoSecondBest, would you mind mentioning his name? I might well have known him.

SHE3PDOG said:
I started taking notes and keeping group sizes in a little note book yesterday along with whatever I thought I did wrong for the fliers and whatnot in the group. I literally shrunk my group from 6 to 4 inches at 25 yards in about an hour and a half worth of time. I'm hoping I can continue this trend.

Nice work. A couple o' tips, if I may:

1. Rather than note what you did wrong for a bad shot, note what you did right for a good one. There a million ways to execute a shot poorly, but only one way to execute it well. Plus, our minds don't "do" don'ts. To say "don't flinch next shot" is really meaningless. It'd be much better to say "front sight, pull straight back". Do that, and you won't flinch.

2. Don't worry about the target and certainly don't peek at it between shots. It's counterintuitive, but the target's merely a recording device - it records how well you executed the fundamentals for each shot. You can look at it when you're done, but while shooting, put all your consciousness into simply executing the fundamentals as well as you can. The target will take care of itself.

3. Use an appropriate bullseye-type target, not some silhouette or something that doesn't offer a precise aiming point.

4. Take as much time as you need to make a good shot. It's just you and your gun, so there's no need to rush a shot. Further, don't be afraid to abort the shot if it doesn't all look perfect, if you held too long, or if you suddenly find yourself wondering what you're gonna make for dinner.

NoSecondBest said:
That's about as realistically good as anyone's going to get.

...and #5: No limits. :cool: Don't accept them, no matter who set the bar. Doing so automatically put a subconscious limit to your own potential. You're in charge of your own potential. Keep it that way.

Bob Wright just brought to my attention that I am wrong on the distance for big bore. It's been years since I shot steel. Anyway, double the numbers for big bore.

NoSecondBest, would you mind mentioning his name? I might well have known him.

Eldermike, I don't doubt how well you shoot silhouette as stated but Bob Wright is correct on the distance. If you were shooting a straightwalled cases at the distances stated, you were shooting Field Pistol which requires using straight walled cases at less than half the distance of regular silhouette distances. The 7TCU wasn't a legal cartridge for Field Pistol. The course of fire for regular silhouette is over twice the distances you stated. It's fired in meters and at 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters. That really takes a lot out of the score. Field Pistol is quite a bit easier. His name was Gordon "Skip" Fletcher and he was a sight to watch shooting pistol. I didn't mean to take anything from your post but it would be difficult to shoot most of the targets on any kind of a basis.

Mr. Borland, the notion of accepting limits wasn't one of my friends, or mine, acceptable facts of life. That's how he got as good as he was. Still, there are realistic limits to everything.

Last edited:
I shot for years and never came close to perfect score standing in big bore. When I said turkey prevented me from a perfect score that was a statement of the facts of life. There would be missed turkeys in ever round standing no matter what, thus eliminationg the chance of it. I have shot the other targets perfect standing even if that was across several matches, but never turkey.

I did hear of Gordon, IMHSA is not a big a community of shooters.

1. Rather than note what you did wrong for a bad shot, note what you did right for a good one. There a million ways to execute a shot poorly, but only one way to execute it well. Plus, our minds don't "do" don'ts. To say "don't flinch next shot" is really meaningless. It'd be much better to say "front sight, pull straight back". Do that, and you won't flinch.

2. Don't worry about the target and certainly don't peek at it between shots. It's counterintuitive, but the target's merely a recording device - it records how well you executed the fundamentals for each shot. You can look at it when you're done, but while shooting, put all your consciousness into simply executing the fundamentals as well as you can. The target will take care of itself.

3. Use an appropriate bullseye-type target, not some silhouette or something that doesn't offer a precise aiming point.

4. Take as much time as you need to make a good shot. It's just you and your gun, so there's no need to rush a shot. Further, don't be afraid to abort the shot if it doesn't all look perfect, if you held too long, or if you suddenly find yourself wondering what you're gonna make for dinner.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try all of this.

Shepdog, I used to be able to shoot pretty darn good with a pistol. Alas, I've spent too much time on 500+ yard rifle shoots (and with the family) these days. I did go to the range last Saturday with my little girl and turned in some decent groups close to the end of the session. Probably 4-5 inch group semi-rapid fire (14 rounds in about 12 or so seconds from the draw) at 15 yards. Were I to take all the time in the world, I'd say I could get 10 rounds in about 2 inches.

We won't talk about 25 yards... though the distance doesn't quite double the group does a little more than double these days. When I was shooting my revolver frequently I started shooting at 40 and 50 yard. I could turn in 6-8 inch groups on occasions, but that was with a little practice and a 6 inch barrel for more sight radius.

We shot 7TCU standing. We also shot 44mag standing. Shot 30-30 standing, We shot everything including the stuff we made up from cut down this case or that and made reamers for. We had a small group of people intrested in IHMSA, when we had a sanctioned match we followed the rules, when we had a fun match we shot guns. It's been years. The gun club I was in at that time was a bench rest rifle/shotgun club with a few pistol guys. I drifted away from steel and pistols to bench rest rifle, shooting paper and stayed there until my eyes limited my success.

If I don't have a "why'd I do that" my groups will be around 3" at 25 yards and jagged holes at 7 yards.
I pulled this off shooting the BFR pictured 415gr slugs at 1200fps best part it was the first time daughter's new boyfriend went shooting with me.

I like these type of posts as they are all I do.

Every target is 15 yrds, 50 shots, offhand.

45colt_1_041412.jpg

45 Colt NML

87t.jpg

Beretta 87 target

210-6_target.jpg

210 Target

722_021206.jpg

DW model 722

3844od_022813.jpg

38/44 Outdoorsman

lb6_012112.jpg

Les Baer 38 Super.

I could go on....

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3fG_LCqhE

I shoot most of my targets off hand at 25 yards. I shoot more than 50 different guns and all of them are stock and have factory "iron sights." I have a dozen Youtube videos (BubbaBladesFLA) showing me shooting everything from .22LR to 460 Magnum.

The above Youtube video shows me shooting a S&W Model 29 .44 magnum with a hot .44 magnum load. I have the camera in my left hand and I am shooting the M29 with my right hand. My target is a 1/2" diameter Shoot'N'see repair dot and the target distance is about 23 yards.

Several of my videos show groups of less than 1" center to center.

Mark

Bubbablades, that was some pretty sweet shooting. I plan on going to the range again on Friday, so hopefully I have some groups I can post up proudly.

Also, that's some insane consistency over 50 rounds, Peter. I would probably have quite a few fliers if I were to shoot groups with that many rounds.

offhand

This one was shot at 50 yards. One hand unsupported.Colt Gold Cup 1911.
I took the picture after only five shots because I was afraid of the next five.
This is more normal for me lately. Shot at 50 feet as above...one hand, etc.

Pete

Got to love the automag!

Comment to me about 50 shots on one page. The lack of flyers is what I try to work on. I find that I can normally go 30 to 40 rounds with no flyers and then I blow it. The key is to really focus on your shooting. I find I can luck into great 5 and 10 shot groups, but it is not until we get into the 30 and 40 shots that I can see what the gun can do.

When I shoot my lcr past 20 yards it often looks like just one hole

So they must have all just followed through the same spot.....

;)

How much time do you guys take with these tight groups for the varying sizes? I'd imagine those 50 shot ones take forever and a day.

How much time do you guys take with these tight groups for the varying sizes? I'd imagine those 50 shot ones take forever and a day.
I won't speak for every one as to time but I have several times put 18 of 20 into the 10 ring of the target I posted in under 2 minutes.

One thing I will say that I guarentee goes for the people posting targets here in this thread for every nice tight target pictured there were 100s if not 1000s shot before it that didn't look that good.

Back