Obama on O'reilly

Obama kept his word (this time)

I don't watch O'Reilly, the channel he is on isn't in my "package", but I do hear him on my car radio often. I remember many months ago (might even have been last year) O'Reilly said that Obama had promised him to be on his show, if he got the nomination. O'Reilly had earlier been complaining that Obama was ducking him, since all the other contenders had been intervied (or would be) at one time or another. After Obama told him he would get an interview if Obama got the nomination, O'Reilly told us (his listeners) that he would be satisfied with that, and as far as I heard, he never badgered Obama on air about an interview since then.

Now, the timing of this interview may have something to do with Palin being picked for the VP slot, or it may just be the first convienient time for Obama, after he got the official nomination. Either way, this time, he has kept his word. This time.

I expect Obama chose this particular time to try to offset any increase in popularity that McCain-Palin get from their convention. After all, the interview was done on the day that McCain is to accept the Republican nomination.

The other side to this is that I believe O'Reilly will be somewhat easy on Obama in the O'Reilly way of things. He wants Obama as a guest and would I'm sure like to interview him again.

O'Reilly is not as conservative as some think based on my read of him and watching him on many shows.

I didn't think O'Reilly asked any particularly difficult questions. He did try very hard, and without success, to get Obama to admit he had been wrong about the surge. He couldn't get a straight answer on how far Obama might go with Iran (Obama said it wouldn't be right for him to tip his hand in case he becomes POTUS) and O'Reilly didn't push back at all.

Overall a non event.

I watch O'Reilly every night.
Don't from your opinion of him from one or two shows. He has mellowed alot the last couple years. He certainly doesn't yell over his guests much if at all anymore....unless they are obviously trying to BS him.
Who else takes congressmen, senators, judges, and lawyers to task like O'Reilly does? Who else will ask Obama the questions we all want asked? I sure don't see many other "journalists" standing in line to ask BHO the tough ones.
The entire interview hasn't even been aired yet, so how can we say he went easy on the guy?

You're correct Mark - O'Reilly has mellowed a bit over the last year or so. No nearly as much 'talking over'.

Agree, he is the only 'journalist' that is at least trying to ask Obama a few tough questions rather than gushing all over him with adoration.

Will be interesting to see what the remaining segment, or segments, look like.

I don't watch O'Reilly, the channel he is on isn't in my "package", but I do hear him on my car radio often. I remember many months ago (might even have been last year) O'Reilly said that Obama had promised him to be on his show, if he got the nomination. O'Reilly had earlier been complaining that Obama was ducking him, since all the other contenders had been intervied (or would be) at one time or another. After Obama told him he would get an interview if Obama got the nomination, O'Reilly told us (his listeners) that he would be satisfied with that, and as far as I heard, he never badgered Obama on air about an interview since then

Well, actually Obama said "after the primary" not after the nomination.
AND, Bill DID sort of Badger him by mentioning it at least two times in the last month.
Once, when Mrs. O said her husband was a man of his word, O'reilly ran the clip and asked, more or less, "where is my interview the primary is over."

Obama went on O'reilly for two reasons, he said he would after the primary and Bill called him out, and it was good timing for him to try to slow down support for Palin and reach the fence sitters.

I think Bill got him on a couple of points,
BO says McCain says ( about Osama) " I'll follow him to the gates of hell"---and Bo says he won't even follow him to " the cave he is living in".
Bill called him on it and asked him if he is prepared to go into Pakistan, invade the country and get Osama out of his cave.
Bo said no--so it kind of showed how foolish his statement was.
He got him on the surge thing too.
The rest of the interview might be good.
I was surprised how Bill approached him, he certainly didn't fawn all over him and let him ramble.
Pretty much a " typical" O'reilly interview IMO.

Dipper

So, from Bill's column.

Like him or not, you have to give Barack Obama credit for waging a smart, focused campaign. Destroying the Clinton machine was a major achievement and so was putting together a successful convention in Denver. Obama is now firmly a part of U.S. history, no matter what happens in the presidential election.

The problem some Americans continue to have with the Senator is that he is long on charisma but short on detail. This frightens some voters. Who the heck is this guy, anyway? So when Obama finally agreed to speak to me this week, specifics were on my mind.

First, the man. The Barack Obama I witnessed is self-confident, determined and driven. He was acutely aware of his surroundings from the moment he entered the room. He looks you in the eye and touches your shoulder. He understands how to connect one-on-one.

As far as philosophy goes, Senator Obama is convinced that the federal government should be in control of income distribution and, to some extent, should regulate the free marketplace. That is a classic liberal position, and Obama promotes it well.

The Senator also believes that poor Americans have a basic right to free health care and monetary supplements from the government with no strings attached. The American substance abuser, for example, would derive the same benefit as a hard working, laid off worker would. Again, classic liberalism. No judgments made regarding entitlements.

So, if Barack Obama does become president, there will definitely be change. His left-wing base will demand it, and he will come through. You can decide if that's change we should believe in, but keep in mind that the unintended consequences of government interference in the marketplace are impossible to predict. Free markets have a way of chafing under government imposition.

On the foreign policy front, Obama has convinced me that he is tough but cautious. He rose up quickly because he vehemently opposed the Iraq war. But now I see a man who understands the victory that has taken place in Iraq. I don't believe he wants to screw that up. I could be wrong.

After going mano-a-mano with Obama on television, I am also persuaded that he is a sincere guy—that he wants the best for all Americans. He's an ideologue, but not a blind one. He understands that his story is incredible, and, I have come to believe, he is grateful to the American system for allowing it happen.

It is true that we don't know whether Senator Obama has the ability to solve complex problems, but you can say that about all presidential contenders.

Like most politicians, Obama has used guile and good luck to accumulate his power. He can be ruthless, kind, unfair, and generous. In short, he's a real person trying to achieve an unreal position—that of the most powerful person in the world.

God help him.

Obviously he hits him hard for being fiscally liberal, but obviously it's O'Reilly. But that last half or so? Considering it's Obama we're talking about, and O'Reilly doing the talking, that's pretty surprising to me.

Sorry, I know this is kind of cut-and-paste. I guess my point is that, as a lukewarm Obama supporter, this is pretty much the Obama I see. Not the "Obamessiah" a lot of people here like to burn in effigy. He's far from perfect, and probably a bit more liberal economically than I'd prefer (so a lot more than most of you), but he's not evil. Nor incompetent. Nor vapid.

It's possible to vote for somebody without loving them, or without hating their opponent. That's kind of where I sit.

Juan, you don't supposed Obama might 'put on his moderate clothes' just for an interview with O'Reilly, do you?

Juan, you don't supposed Obama might 'put on his moderate clothes' just for an interview with O'Reilly, do you?

Entirely possible. But I wouldn't expect O'Reilly to buy it. Nor did he seem to...you did read the first half, right?

I'm not talking about agreeing with his positions and policies, I'm talking about the fact that O'Reilly seemed to paint him as a reasonably competent, engaging, and sincere candidate...though one he disagrees with.

Basically, I'm replying to the "empty suit" claim. It's not empty at all...it may be filled with something you don't like, but it's not empty.

Juan - I actually watched the interview and came away with totally neutral vibes from it.

I'm not an Obama fan but think he's an extremely gifted orator and that's what attracts many of his fans (at least the ones I know personally) I can tolerate O'Reilly (a bit too pompus for my liking).

Obama was a typical politician with his answers, but that's to be expected.

I recorded it to watch later on DVR, but when I sat down to watch it, I just couldn't stomach watching Obama's mouth move with no words coming out, so I deleted it.

Back