NY pistol permit DENIED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstnonly

Inactive
Hi everyone,

I'm a resident on Westchester County, in wonderful NY:rolleyes:. I'm looking to get some advice on my current pistol permit dilemma.....here it goes:

Applied for a Westchester County pistol permit back in 06, just for sport shooting (no ccw). I waited 8 months for a response and was denied. The denial was based on a disorderly conduct arrest, along with unlicensed operation in 2002. The grounds for denial were that I "Lack the moral character necessary to posses a handgun". I spoke with a layer who informed me about filing an article 78 to appeal the decision, but ultimately he felt I would be better waiting a year and re-applying.

I waited and re-applied in September of 09.............Just got my response in the mail and DENIED AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I have yet again been denied on the same grounds of "Lacking moral character". My record is clean aside from that one incident in 2002. I'm really just shocked that I have been denied again....I guess the fact that I am the responsible owner of 2 long guns doesn't come into play when it comes to a pistol.

I will be filing the article 78 this time, although I'm not that optimistic about the outcome.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Any pointers on how to purse this?

Disorderly conduct is a serious crime and I can't say I'm suprised you were denied because of it. Here in WI your background would not have passed with that either. You can appeal as many times as you want but that is on your record for the rest of your life.
In the future think before you break the law.

Disorderly conduct is a serious crime

You can be charged with Disorderly conduct for many things, some of which I wouldn't consider a "serious crime"

Section 240.20 Disorderly conduct

A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof:

1. He engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or

2. He makes unreasonable noise; or

3. In a public place, he uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture; or

4. Without lawful authority, he disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or

5. He obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or

6. He congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; or

7. He creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.

Disorderly conduct is a violation.

What Troy said...

You can continue re-submitting whatever forms you like, but I think you'd better standby for disappointment. New York governor David Patterson may be reasonably centrist, as he selected Kirsten Gillibrand - who was endorsed by the NRA - to replace Rep. Hillary Clinton in the Senate; but Mayor Bloomberg is a gun-ban nightmare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/nyregion/24senator.html

Given your record, I suspect your chances will remain mighty slim.

Relocate out west and try again. Best with that,

Doc

Attend NRA sanctioned training classes, volunteer with you local sheriff's office, get letters of recommendation as to your character. Document it all. Have a lawyer work with you in about a year and start the process all over. Just my .02.

You can be charged with Disorderly conduct for many things, some of which I wouldn't consider a "serious crime"

I would deny you based on this statement alone. You obviously have no regard for the law because you don't deem it "serious".

I would deny you based on this statement alone. You obviously have no regard for the law because you don't deem it "serious".

First off I have plenty of regard for the law. The reason for my post is not to gather personal opinions on the severity of a disorderly conduct charge. I take full responsibility for my actions and wish that things could have been handled different but you cant change the past......but I guess that I should be looked at as a hardened criminal for these 2 violations from 8 years ago....we're not talking misdemenors or felonies here, we're talking violations.

And call me crazy but when you can be charged with a disorderly conduct VIOLATION for "making an unreasonable noise", I wouldn't deem that as serious crime.....but that's just me.

Don't be rediculous

Not possible to deny for that reason. That's why we live in the USA and not Iran

I bet each time you resubmit they just check your name against the "denied" file first and don't reexamine your file.

My advice, ask to see the Judge. When I lived in Westchester, I too was denied, because of an incident 15 yrs prior. I requested an appeal before the Judge, on the recommendation of an NRA lawyer, and was approved right then and there by the Judge.:D I was granted "hunting and target" priveleges.
I have sinced moved to Putnam and now have an "unrestricted" license.:cool:
BTW, I ignore those who say to move, it's alot easier said than done. Would they give you a job paying NY wages, not Walmart wages? Would they offer to pay for the move? Would they leave their family members behind?
And also, life is more than just guns. God fills my every need, not material nor man.

Ladder that's interesting......Did you request the appeal via an article 78 or by other means?

Also, did you represent yourself or did you have a lawyer present?

Quote:

Have you ever rolled through a stop, broken the speed limit by ANY amount, got pirate HBO, got too much change back and not returned it, taken the cap off your radiator and spilled some coolant on the street, chirped tires by mistake taking off too fast, driven with your window down and had something fly out or any of a million other things you and everyone else knows we all have done at some point that are technicaly against some law or statute but not any sort of dangerous of serious crime. No? well then preach on. If Yes then lets be a bit more reasonable and not cast stones.

If we could be deny us things for ANY infraction on ANY level there is not a person here that would qualify.

I bet each time you resubmit they just check your name against the "denied" file first and don't reexamine your file.

I wouldn't be surprised, so far they've collected over $200 in application fees from me and I'm still empty handed.

Just checked the link I gave you earlier and found this:

Is there a time deadline for filing an Article 78 proceeding?

Yes. Article 78 proceedings must be filed within four months of the date you receive the fair hearing decision. Check with a lawyer as soon as you can to find out if your deadline is even shorter.

Sounds like you are way past the deadline. Time to hire a lawyer...good luck and I hope it works out for the best

Just checked the link I gave you earlier and found this:

Quote:
Is there a time deadline for filing an Article 78 proceeding?

Yes. Article 78 proceedings must be filed within four months of the date you receive the fair hearing decision. Check with a lawyer as soon as you can to find out if your deadline is even shorter.
Sounds like you are way past the deadline. Time to hire a lawyer...good luck and I hope it works out for the best

Yeah I noticed that, but I just got notice for my second denial a few days ago so I should still have the 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back