Nuclear Power

I spent several years living within 100 feet of a active nuclear reactor. I am fine. I have managed to have 3 kids since then. I only twitch when i see Hillary or Obama on TV.
Seriously, Nuke power is great. I am waiting for the day something comes up and ends the reign of power these petroleum clowns have on us now. They will have to pay us $3.14 a gallon to dispose of the crap. I think the petroleum guys know, their reign of terror is coming to an end, and within the next 10-20 years. They are making their money now, while they can.
Nuclear , is a pain in the ass, and expensive. Then there is the waste thing. I believe it is all buried in the Southwest at this time, maybe up to Nevada, in Salt mines to prevent leakage into the soil. I thikn it beats the hell out of fossil fuels. put this in perspective.. 500 pounds of Uranium can power a sub for like 20 years continuously. We are talkin many times around the world, on top of the elctrical power that can be generated.

How much coal, petroleum, or Natural gas would this take??

I may not be one of them there nukleer scientist-is-is but I ain't so stupid to over look a safe clean CHEAP source of fuel... How many TONS of oil would it take to go around the earth? How many small fuel rods power a ship how many times around the earth? Like aircraft travel you have to look at safety as per people "serviced" per people "killed"... yeah it makes the news when one plane crashes and kills a few hundred folks but that is nothing in terms of passenger service miles... Same deal with nuke power... How many died as a result of the TRAGIC 3 mile Island problem? How many workers died at "traditional" power production?
Nuke is the safest any way you look at it... KW per $, Workers injured VS. customers served or $ anyway you choose to look at it there is some risk anywhere...
Yeah I guess I figger' it is risk assessment that brings so many gun owners to be PRO NUKE...
Brent

I am waiting for the day something comes up and ends the reign of power these petroleum clowns have on us now

May we live to see the day when we look back on these days as we look back at the the whaling ships of the 1800's.

I never realized there were so many nuclear physicists who were also gun enthusiasts.
Gun enthusiasts know that what the media tells people about guns is often misleading either out of a lack of knowledge or out of a desire to push an agenda.

Most of us also realize that the media is poorly informed about and has agendas that affect other issues as well.

We don't have a place to put the spent fuel. The greenies won't let us bury it, instead it gets temporarily stored on site. Where it builds up and becomes more of a terrorist target.

Spent fuel is some of the most toxic substances on the planet.

Frankly I'd be much happier if they come up with a cheap solar panel that can go on the roof of my house. All that square footage exposed to the sun, wasted. I hear they're working on it but doubt it will cost under 10 grand.

You guys hear about that 'pebble bed' reactor design? It can't melt down. Pretty slick.

As for the coal thing, many of you guys don't live in WV or near it. I've seen where they take whole mountains and whack off the top half, filling the valleys inbetween with the leftovers. Pretty disturbing. One lady had been used to the sun setting at say...6pm where she lives. After the operation, it set two hours later.

Each power source has its drawbacks. Wind...hacks up owls, hawks and bats. Solar, too darn expensive to set up. Biodiesel...still puts out carbon dioxide. Smells good though.

On this subject I have some expertise...

having worked the past 25+ years at DOE operated nuclear facilities. I am not a scientist, I am not a physicist, I am an Operator. I operate the equipment and do the hands on work. I can't do the calculations to design a reactor or a fuel reprocessing plant, but I could build one that worked, (provided the materials) from what I have learned and done over the years.

As others have said, what the public "knows" about nuclear power and nuclear waste is mostly wrong. This comes from nearly half a century of Hollywood bull****, and agenda driven individuals making a point of telling only part of the truth. If there is anything in the world that has gotten more bad press than legal gun ownership, it is nuclear energy.

First, some terms; Fission - splitting atoms (uranium/plutonium) is the power of nuclear reactors and atomic bombs. Fusion -fusing light atoms together (hydrogen) is the power of the sun, and the H-bomb. We can create a fusion reaction, but we cannot yet control one. A bomb yes. A reactor, no. When we can control a fusion reaction, our energy problems will be solved for as long as matter exists in the universe, but until then, other things must do.

One thing the public does not well understand is that "radioactive" does not automatically mean lethal or even dangerous. There are many naturally occurring radioactive isotopes, some of them are found in every living thing. It is the amount that makes the difference. Sort of like you need iron in your blood in order to live, but if I drop a 10,000lb ingot on your head it won't be very good for you. Sort of.

The waste from a nuclear reactor comes in three general categories. Low level waste - all the contaminated material generated by operating the plant (gloves, tape, filters, protective clothing, tools, and contaminated equipment) These kinds of items have detectable levels of radioactive contamination, which would only be harmful if ingested, long term.

High level waste - which is material that does give off damaging levels of radiation -pipes and pumps from primary coolant loop, the coolant water, (depending on design) itself and of course, the spent fuel.

The third category is waste that contains radioactive material AND hazardous chemicals. Each type is handled differently. The spent fuel is the most difficult to store, and remains lethally dangerous for a long, long time, but not quite what everyone seems to think. Physically, more than 90% of the spent fuel remains relatively harmless Uranium. The high dose rate emitters (Cs & Sr) will continue to be dangerous for decades, up to a couple of centuries, but only if you keep them in your back pocket. The further away you are, the weaker the dose, due to the inverse square law. 2 feet away is 1/4 the contact dose. 3ft, 1/9th, etc.

I can discuss this subject at length, and in great detail, from a blue collar point of view. Anyone interested, PM me.

The way to permanently handle the "waste problem" of nuclear power is not to bury it in the ground (that is only temporary), but to shoot it into the sun. Don't use rockets, use mass driver (rail gun) technology. Turn it into glass first (after removing all reusable elements), so it cannot get into the environment, and then launch it. With current technology you could build a facitlity up the side of a mountain, and launch a telephone pole size payload out of orbit (no possibility or returning to earth) every few minutes, using only electricity, from now on, until the energy death of the universe. If you wonder why no one has (or is) doing that, follow the money. Yes, it really is that simple.

Yucca Mountain was supposed to be finished a decade ago, and won't be ready they say for another 10-12 years. AND, according to some calculations
won't be big enough for the waste that they are already committed to store, let alone what we are still producing.

FYI: How many of you folks know that the Soviet Union funneled a lot of money into the US & International anti nuclear movements, up until the end of the Cold War.

The greenies won't let us bury it...
This is not a problem with nuclear power, this is a problem with "people whose agenda has nothing to do with what's best for the people of the United States" to quote from another post on this thread. ;)

I'm entirely pro-nuke. Nuclear power's cleaner, cheaper and safer. Uranium is about as common in the ground as lead - the "It's going to run out soon" argument is pure, agenda-driven bunkum. Again, the waste issue's largely over-stated and generally ignores reprocessing.

Fission (uranium powered reactors, and their ilk) isn't ideal, and the waste products can be nasty when mis-handled. Answer? Don't mis-handle 'em.

Fusion (squishing hydrogen nuclei together) is vastly more desirable, but still probably a good ten years off even with Bussard's recently-declassified reactors. However, once those start working, it's The End for fossil fuel, and the start of much rejoicing. Hydrogen fusion's waste product is helium, and seeing as a hundred trillion stars do it all day every day, you can hardly claim it ain't natural ;)

Fission could fill the gap during that decade of engineering work necessary to put little suns in place of dinosaur-burners.

Yes, I studied physics. Yes, I use the scientific method a lot in my work. No, I'm no longer a practising scientist. Yes, I can do math. My only agenda is to see sensible things done to maintain and improve the quality of life for people. Enjoy.

I am generally pro-nuclear, but I do have concerns about the waste. Many here are saying the waste is not so bad, and I must ask, would you be willing to live next to a nuclear waste dump?

Yes.

Build it here. We'll take the jobs, the money, and provide a place to dump the waste so that you can have a reliable energy source.

Fusion (squishing hydrogen nuclei together) is vastly more desirable, but still probably a good ten years off even with Bussard's recently-declassified reactors. However, once those start working, it's The End for fossil fuel, and the start of much rejoicing. Hydrogen fusion's waste product is helium, and seeing as a hundred trillion stars do it all day every day, you can hardly claim it ain't natural

I do recall there was some concern about the hydrogen demand from fusion reactors being problematic. know anything about it?

The waste from nuclear plants remains radioactive for thousands of years. Where do you want to put it? How about in a landfill near your hometown?

Been there, done that. I grew up beside Oak Ridge. Radioactive waste was the least of our concerns, given the massive mercury and toxic waste pollution the government caused in the area.

This is not a problem with nuclear power, this is a problem with "people whose agenda has nothing to do with what's best for the people of the United States" to quote from another post on this thread.

Exactly. This material was supposed to be stored in secure underground vaults. The Neo-Luddites refused, saying it was untested and unsafe (which is sort of contradictory but whatever). So, the material is stored in above ground facilities protected by security forces and fences. Beautiful.

Nuclear is the only way to go. Wind won't produce the required power. Solar could, but you have to cover entire states with solar cells (which are toxic to produce). And the Neo-Luddites don't want either wind or solar plants cluttering their views. We've already installed dams wherever we can, which the Neo-Luddites want torn down.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element on earth. the trouble is getting it in it's pure form. the best way to date is using a process called electrolysis. using electricity to separate it from the oxygen in water. oxygen being the by product. it requires a lot of electricity. This reduces the overall efficiency. You can use the same process with salt water but the by products are different. one of which is chlorine. both of these have their uses which would upset some chemical markets. It is still more efficient.

I do recall there was some concern about the hydrogen demand from fusion reactors being problematic. know anything about it?

the best way to date is using a process called electrolysis. using electricity to separate it from the oxygen in water. oxygen being the by product. it requires a lot of electricity. This reduces the overall efficiency. You can use the same process with salt water but the by products are different. one of which is chlorine. both of these have their uses which would upset some chemical markets. It is still more efficient.

It takes as much energy to seperate water as you get when you burn the hydrogen.
Hydrogen is a transfer fuel, sort of like electricity, but will never be an efficient prime source.

The crude removed from the ground already contains a lot of chemical energy.
It takes only a small fraction of this energy to distill and modify it to the form we want.

The Proceeding of the IEEE had an entire issue on a 'hydrogen economy' and it cannot be anything like the present hydrocarbon economy.

This is one of the problems that dogs ethanol from corn.
To much enery input for the energy available.
Alcohol from suger cane works a lot better (Brazil uses this).
Alcohol from cellulose would probbaly be better, but remains under development.

Alcohol from cellulose would probbaly be better, but remains under development.
I know a few individuals developing cellulose from alcohol. Didn't know it could work the other way around.

I spent 6 years in the Navy learning/operating nuclear power plants on submarines and the last 25 years working at a fossil fuel plant burning Coal, Natural Gas, Fuel Oil, Diesel and Refuse (aka garbage). Nuclear power wins hands down. Coal is nasty. Lots of toxic gas emitted into the atmosphere. Costly equipment to remove ash from that gas. Gotta dispose of that ash. Costly equipment to minimize gas emmissions. Storage of large quantities of Ammonia used for that purpose. Natural gas is similar, but is expensive and doesn't have the ash problem. Same with Diesel. Fuel Oil is just nasty.

Give me nuclear power any day.

We dropped nuclear power thanks to Three Mile Island and Jane Fonda's timely The China Syndrome movie. The cost of building nuke plants at the time was far greater than fossil fuel plants. Thanks to 30 years of new regulations, that is no longer true. The US NEEDS Nuclear Power.

I know a few individuals developing cellulose from alcohol. Didn't know it could work the other way around.

Research for a bacteria or yeast to digest cellulose (instead of sugar) t make alcohol has been ongoing.
The bacteria in the gut of termites can break down cellulose, but making alcohol instead of sugars is the goal.

Back