NRA Convention in Denver Cancelled!

News vultures talking about American people repudiating the NRA are not mentioning the flip side...JPFO, GOA and Brassroots are getting some of the refugees...

Gee, Rich, I was proud of them about the "jack-booted thugs" statement until they retracted it. But then I'm from the "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and leaves duck droppings everywhere, then it must be a duck" school of thought :)

Gentlemen- it appears to me that the NRA has acted out of concern and respect for all those who have suffered losses here. I think that the horror and bloodshed here is lost on hypocritical *******s on both sides of the gun issue who are using this opportunity to preach from atop the bodies of dead and wounded kids. Have some compassion. Nick Jones.

motorep,
Okay. Calmly now. This is NOT a trick question.
I gather you feel there should be something similar to a period of mourning where gun rights advocates suspend their activities out of respect for the victims of the school shooting. I understand how a person can feel that way (honest!) but some practical questions arise.

1) What circumstances make our efforts disrespectful? When I try to evaluate this concept I start getting into:
1a) ghastly questions such as, "How many innocent people must die before we suspend our activities? Are 12 students and a teacher worth more than the death of an estranged wife, etc." How bad must the carnage be to suspend our activities?
1b) stupid sounding questions such as, "How close must the carnage be before we suspend our activities?" If it happened in the same town, same county, same state - we should wait? But if it happened more than "X" miles from our meeting place we can still meet?

2) Should we develop some obscene formula? (Number killed) X (distance in miles from meeting place) divided by (Expected attendance at meeting) X (Social factor) = number of days postponed/cancelled?

3) Should the Social factor depend on the type of meeting? NRA must cancel but Tupperware meetings can continue?

I don't mean to be glib or disrespectful of someone's show of sympathy. However, disrupting the NRA convention shows "compassion" only in the minds of some people. I even agree there may be, "... hypocritical *******s on both sides of the gun issue who are using this opportunity to preach from atop the bodies of dead and wounded kids". But wanting the convention to be held as scheduled does not imply that people who attend NRA conventions automatically hold such extremist views!

The NRA did not cause that school shooting but the NRA response appears to show guilt rather than sympathy and, I believe, is also a form of the hypocrisy you so obviously despise.

OK- calmly- in no special order- this massacre wasn't about guns or bombs or schools, it was the result of pure evil. If you don't think evil exists, that's ok.
I live in Jefferson County, my two daughters attend school here, thankfully not at Columbine High. My 14 1/2 year old daughter spent amost a full, hysterical, day trying to contact a friend who just moved to that area.
I have acquaintances on every local department, including Lakewood SWAT, that responded .
The Colorado Rockies and the Avalanche sports teams canceled/postponed their games out of the same concern and respect that the NRA has shown, why aren't all the sports fans in an uproar?
No matter which side you're on it's wrong to use the dead and wounded to advance your cause.

Motorep, a few thoughts. First, I don't see how holding a convention planned some time ago is using the tragedy to advance a cause. Second, and more importantly, cancelling a baseball game is not the same as a convention where the tragedy can and should be discussed. A baseball GAME. A pleasureable pastime, not a serious convention by a group who's charter deals directly with firearms, which are the subject of debate. There is also a "look, they're admitting guilt" image when the NRA cancels their convention - many blame the NRA for the lack of total gun bans, which they think could have prevented this tragedy. Nobody's blaming the baseball team, so they don't have to look at the situation in the same way.

I think the NRA is wrong to scale back/cancel the convention. It makes them look guilty. Had the convention gone forward people would have seen that NRA members are compassionate, caring people who are as horrified at the shooting as anyone, and just as angry.

motorep,

First and most important! I’m really glad your daughters are okay. I have
three daughters but, thank God, I have never been close to such an incident
as Littleton. I didn’t realize you were in that area, that it “hit” that close to
your family, or that you had so many LEO contacts. That being the case,
thank you VERY much for sharing your views - they are closer to “on the
scene” than my fanny sitting here in Texas.

It’s odd that we both are so very sure pure evil exists, yet from time to time
I wonder if there is an opposing “pure good”. (More of my “fuzzy
thinking”...)
-------
Unless we were in a position to prevent what happened at Littleton, we have
no need to feel guilty about that incident. Horrified, shocked, frightened,
angry, etc. - of course. Further dedicated to determine, define, and correct
the cause(s) of the rampage - surely. But I don’t understand how the NRA
holding its scheduled convention as planned would be using the dead and
wounded to advance a cause. ... Well, unless the NRA really stressed the
Eddie Eagle program (for little kids) and how to properly secure firearms
from unauthorized use (by anyone). That wouldn’t bother me.

I’m less upset about the NRA cancellation when you explain it was a general
response in that area. Not having that information (or having the foresight
to ask for it) I felt the cancellation made the NRA look hypocritical, guilty, or
otherwise struggling for Political Correctness at the expense of its members.

I’ve only seen the anti-self defense side use school shootings to advance
their cause. I’m not aware of anyone on “our” side doing so. (But then I
didn’t know about the cancelled sports activities either.)

My gut reaction was mostly based on the impression that once again, evil
had triumphed over good. That reasonable people of good intentions had to
forfeit their peaceful activities because of the terror of an evil few. I just
don’t want the “pure evil” to win.

Thanks for explaining about the other cancellations.

I have to support motorep's position. I believe that the convention was cut back out of respect for the people killed and wounded, not out of fear of discussion. Please remember that at the time the NRA made its announcment the bodies were still inside the school. No purpose will be served in forcing pro or anti gun debates while the wounds are fresh - no minds would be changed, and it would just be in bad taste. The issue is not going away anytime soon, and we'll have plenty of opportunities to continue the discussions - after some time has passed. It's a matter of respect.

db

Dave: The problem with that view is simple: Did the ANTI-gunners take a time out, too? No. We've simply abandoned the field at the moment when the most people are paying attention, and we'll go back to arguing once they've gone back to sleep, having heard all our enemies have had to say. This is a war, not a tea party, and if we can't refrain from presenting our position just because our enemies will call us insensitive!

Gentlemen. I have read all the above posts, and like yourselves, the position the NRA has taken leaves me angry, puzzled, and frustrated as hell. I seriously thought of telling them to take my life membership and sticking it where the sun don't shine. This was yesterday, and after thinking things over a bit, I have a suggestion. This is what I am going to do. I am going to write them a letter expressing my displeasure in canceling the meeting I was planning to attend. I will inform them that until I see positive action concerning my gun rights, I will donate no more money to them; instead passing it out to the other, more active pro-gun organizations. I will also inform my gun club of my actions along with a copy of the letter I sent to the NRA, urging them to do the same. You may have noticed the little note at the end of my posts. "COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!" Now you know what I have been saying. The NRA has compromised too often to suit me. If we can get a sufficiently large enough letter writing campaign going, maybe (I'm not holding my breath) the NRA will get off it's dead *ss and do the job we members pay them for. Neal Knox has,or had, I haven't checked lately, a web page,that tells what the hierarchy at the NRA are doing, and criticizes them bitterly. I'll try to find it again, and will pass on the web address.
Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

OMFGICEFTYHFIPOIA.

Trust me, you don't want me to spell that sentence out.

Last night I arrived at a banquet in NYC and met up with Jim Fotis Exec. Director of the LEAA, on the way over I was riding with Col. Robert Brown, NRA Board member and pudlisher of SOF Mag... We had been discussing the NRA show next week.

Jim informed us that he had jsut heard that the NRA show was cancelled. Yeah, you heard that correctly, and NRA board member was told by a third party about the show being cancelled.

Col. Brown and I and not the type to refrain from politically charged comment and out opinions were not rated PG.

Suffice to say that the concensus is that Rich's opening post sums out exactly what I feared. And I am proud of those of you who agree with him, I felt most members would.

The NRA has made an incredibly bad move here, and I can assure you that many people inside the industry agree with that sentiment.. I may get some quotes over the next few days for you guys...

The NRA has missed an opportunity to extend a responsible attitude in the face of the Denver Disaster.

The NRA has denied the industry reps who were going to be there the chance to address the people directly.

The NRA has denied is attendant members the chance to interact compassionately and responsibly with the victims familiy's and the community in Denver.

The NRA has quite enough problems right now.. cancelling the show is not going to lessen pressure from the anti's, but it sure as heck is going to increase the internal pressure on them to start representing us instead of collecting money and publishing magazines.

(as a side note to this "run and hide" story, As of last night, Wayne LaPierre was apparently avoiding many invitations to appear on National News shows to give comment.. you can guess what I think of that...)

This may be the beginning of the end for the NRA.

------------------
-Essayons

I kinda see the scaling back of the convention, the dropping of the CO pro-gun bills, etc. as being disrespectful to the victims of the Littleton tragedy as well as all other victims of gun violence. The way I see it is, we had a chance to get together and discuss the situation, to discuss methods proven to help reduce violence, to mull over ways to deter or else attack and punish the criminal perpetrators of violence. As far as the gun bills go, here we had a chance to implement measures proven to reduce the number of violent crimes, mass public shootings included (more than we can say about the 20,000 or so gun control laws).
It's like we're saying, "You know, we DO have methods of fighting violent crime, we COULD shun all critizism and work to implement ways that would prevent an untold amount to pain and grief by deterring criminals, we WOULD do so...if only it weren't politically incorrect to do so. Our sincerest apologies to all victims of crime, past, present, and future."

I don't know...maybe I'm alone on this one (wouldn't be a first :))...maybe I still haven't reverted to clear thought processes in the face of Tuesday's events and it's aftermath...I just don't know.

BAB

Follow up on my previous post. The web address for Neal Knox is (www.nealknox.com)
Some good reading there.
Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Motorep-
I'm out of the pocket from now 'till Monday. So if I don't respond further, I'm not ducking you. I respect your opinion, as I would hope you respect mine. I especially appreciate the circumstances of your locality, with kids in school.

Here's the *real* issue for me. Each year our kids die in this type of senseless violence. Each year *you and I are* blamed for it. Each following year, on the heels of legislation which further restricts our rights, *more* kids are slaughtered in a society of individuals who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

This time, however, we see a nation stunned by the realization that wholesale slaughter doesn't even require a firearm. Fifteen more have just been slaughtered for no reason. If we can do anything for the memory of these kids it's to take steps to assure that it never happens again....and that means facing the truth.

We are a nation that has absolutely turned our backs on our children. Today, both parents work to chase the dream; teachers can't be expected to try to *teach* with 40 kids in the class; principals can't effect disciplinary codes for fear of litigation; and the rest of us are absolved by the pronunciations of a First Lady who argues the "it takes a village" theme.

Within this backdrop, and as America just begins to catch a glimpse of the real problem, the NRA, in effect, admits guilt. Now the public can go back to the "simple" answer (ie: "Oh, it's all about guns again, isn't it? The Government's really got to do something about this")

My gripe with the NRA is that they *cheapen* the lives of these kids by offering the public an easy out.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited April 23, 1999).]

Bottomline...

The NRA has denied the folks of Denver of seeing the responsible, up-standing gunowners that are just like them...normal folk. Now the NRA can be continued to be portrayed as that disembodied evil satanic power that HCI, et al have portrayed them to be

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

To those of you who intend to write to the NRA about this, I predict that I know what the respons will say WORD FOR WORD!
Below is the email I sent them before posting in here last night, followed by the "response from the NRA"
Kenneth Cook
(Edited home address and phone number)
Member#BSC7xxxx expires 1/2005
Mr. Heston
Mr. Lapierre
To whom it may concern,

T have been a proud member of the National Rifle Association since 1979.
I am active in The Central Arkansas Friends of the NRA. I have contributed any hours of my personal time to the furtherance of the NRA and The Second Amendment. I have given great sums of money which were often needed elsewhere and spent greater sums of money at FOTNRA banquets. I have bought raffle tickets, and sold raffle tickets. I have pestered shooters at public ranges, I have lobbied for the NRA in places as diverse as First Class DC-10 cabins enroute to hawaii, and the back seat of Greyhound busses. I have pestered my friends until they ponied up the cash for at least one annual membership. I have given my back issues of "American Rifleman" to libraries and Dentist's offices and left them anywhere that I considered it possible that the message would be spread. I have worked HARD for The Second Amendment and the NRA. I have asked nothing in reture except for you to fight the good fight.
Now I hear that the NRA has severely curtailed it's annual convention in Denver in response to the events of 4/20/99 in that city.

Read this thread,
www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22815

Tell me this isn't true. tell me you haven't stabbed me in the back by telling the World that WE are partially responsible for the tragedy in Denver. That WE are accountable for this travesty, that WE should skulk about and hide in the shadows.
Tell me tha the thousands of dollars and countless hours I've givven to the NRA over the years isn't money down a rathole.
Tell me that you DO represent the American gunowners and tell me that you're not really just a bunch of hogs getting fat at the trough of gullible Americans.
Tell me that this course of action is better than arriving at the scene in May and offering free firearms safety training and workshops on the responsibilities of gun ownership. Tell me you couldn't make this less damaging to MY cause. (I'm no longer convinced that it's OUR couse.)
If you cant tell me thse things, and if it is true that you admit culpability in the Denver shootings by way of curtailing Convention activities, then cancel my membership. I want nothing to do with such a spnieless and sniveling lot of wastrals as those who would do such a thing.

It would break my heart to no longer be a member of the NRA. I have always ranked my NRA membership alongside my service in both the US Army and the US Marine Corps as proudest affiliations. NRA membership has always been a defining trait to me. I have used it to consider whether any given shooter and gun owner is SERIOUS about the defense of The Second Amendment. Please tell me this is all a mistake.
Sincerely and regretfully,
Kenneth Cook

PS I don't expect an answer from Mr. Heston or Mr. lapierre, but I hope they get a chance to read this. It may be the last communication I have with my beloved NRA.

THE RESPONSE
(Drum roll please)
Dear Sir,
We join with the rest of America in condeming this sensless act and mourning its victims.
With respect to this, the latest decision is to cancel all functions of the Convention and only have the mandatory business functions on Saturday. The banquet, seminars, exhibit hall, tours, function, and meetings have all been cancelled.
The NRA is required by law to hold a meeting of members every year to swear in the new board and other such legal obligations. These are the only functions that will be held.
There will be no activities on Sunday in respect for the memorial services.
Thank you for contacting us,
J Benjamin
NRA Member Services

They didn't even READ the damn thing!

I guess I'll know if my membership has been cancelled if my American Rifleman stops showing up.

Screw'em.

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

I guess incredulous, is the only word that comes close to relating to my feelings in regard to the NRA. I can barely find it within my grasp that the leadership would do such a thing as duck and run in this time of need for reason and moral strength.
We are rapidly approaching a time of crisis, where we will have to give up our freedoms or die defending them, and the NRA's duck and run gambit is only going to hasten the attack on our liberties.
Someone spoke of Mr Robt K Brown in an earlier post; be reminded that he used the pulpit of his magazine to rail against the Neal Knox Team, and said nothing about the underhanded dealings that got 'Moses' elected to lead us. I have held for years that the La Pierre leadership would bring about the ruination of the NRA and it appears that my thoughts have proven far too prophetic for my own good.
I suppose they'll be asking for money to help fight confiscation next year....registration having been enacted before summer , with their blessing.
I'm so sick of the double dealing , back stabbing politicos at the top of the NRA, I wanna puke.

WE MUST BEGIN ANEW TO RESTRUCTURE THE NRA AND TO WORK TO COALESCE THE VARIOUS PRO 2ND AMEND FORCES TO BRING A CASE TO THE SUPREME COURT TO WIN OR LOSE THE FREEDOM, WHILE WE STILL HAVE THE POWER TO FIGHT IN OUR POSSESION.

------------------
What part of "INFRINGED" don't they understand?

I think the NRA felt like it was between a rock and a hard place on this issue and reacted to the shock of the moment by partly canceling the meeting. Its mistake is in appearing to turn tail. As we all know, anti-gun zealots are exploitatively pretending that the NRA was somehow partly responsible for the Colorado carnage, and the NRA seems to be playing into their hands.

OTOH, I'm glad that the NRA did not cancel the meeting entirely--to do so would have been an irreversible error. Since the meeting is still taking place in some form, the NRA will have an opportunity to undo its tail-turning appearance. Let's hope it makes the most of this opportunity.

BTW, I've been an NRA Life Member since '67. Over the years I've been furious with this organization from time to time and have thought of resigning more than once. However, regardless of the NRA's reaction to the Colorado shootings, I'm glad I didn't resign. Whatever faults may lie within the NRA, its basis in the Second Amendment is as sound as the Constitution, it does many things right, and it probably remains America's best bet to keep its RKBA. (Other posters may of course freely disagree with this assessment, but, please, no flames.)

Back