Not so common guns on TV or movies.

FairWarning said:
It's amazing how many P38s and P08 Lugers were used by villains prior to the '80s. I suppose the obvious Nazi connection was partially behind that....
I've often noticed this trope also. I don't know how it started but it seems to have peaked in the 1960s.

I've seen them in the hands of many villains who have no obvious connections to Nazism, most notably and illogically Soviet characters, who in reality would presumably be loathe to carry a symbol of their bitterly hated former enemy! :rolleyes: Of course, one contributing factor was that Tokarevs, Makarovs, and other Warsaw Pact service arms were hen's teeth in the West before they started filtering into the U.S. in the hands of servicemen returning from Vietnam. Recall episodes of "Mission: Impossible" and "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." in which supposedly Soviet or Cuban troops carry M1 Carbines; at the time, if you had easy access to an SKS or an AK, your name probably had something like "Colonel" or "Lt. Commander" in front of it! ;)

Of course, another trope was that modern-day cops almost always carried Colt or S&W revolvers, even off-duty, regardless of the circumstances. Even if the character was in a situation where one might prefer an automatic, he would have a Colt Detective Special!

You simply have to hand it to the contributors of that site ^ that go to such detail and great lengths, with screen shots and little tidbits to share the information and the things they find.

Yes, it has been fun for many years to see something pop quickly on screen and have a darn good idea what you saw... but when you wish to check the "answer key" and see how close you were to correct, visit IMFDB.

If you thought for years that spotting and naming movie guns was a hobby, you gotta see how far these folks have taken that hobby.

Zed (Sean Connery) in Zardoz carried a Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.

The only thing uncommon, (I hope), was Connery's wardrobe. :o

Director - "Sean, we're going to put you in a red diaper with suspenders, tall boots and... oh yeah... a long pony tail."
Sean Connery - "Your joking... right?"

Last edited:
I'm sure many or most of you are aware of the IMFDB site ...
When I know I'm going to see a gun movie, I check out IMFDB first. Then when the guns show up I already know what's what. "Yeah, yeah - that's a Gasser Montenegrin. 11.25 mm, I think." Family and friends think I'm brilliant.

Please don't tell anyone.

The Miami vice movie- Sonny had a SVI TIKI. Taran Butler was a consultant on the film. They asked him to pick out a high end gun that would be plausible for Sonny to carry in his cover as a high end drug dealer so he picked that

That Webley was a pretty good match with that outfit. Must of not hit the weights much back then.

The show Shades of Blue must use a very uncommon variant of a Glock.
Frequently, when one of the characters draws and points one, there is a very distinct sound of a hammer being cocked.

:D

The Star Wars movies were full of oddball guns - odd for an advanced space-faring culture.

Han Solo famously had a Broomhandle Mauser.

Standard issue Stormtrooper weapons included Sterling SMG's, MG34's and even Lewis Guns.
Princess Leia IIRC had a Soviet Vostok Margolin .22 target pistol.

The Jawa's carried chopped down Lee Enfields!

Boba Fett's sidearm of choice was based on a Webley & Scott No.1 Mark 1 37mm flare gun.

Rebels on Hoth were using STG-44's

The ugly dude who hassled Luke in the Cantina and got his arm lopped off by a Light Saber was carrying a blaster based on the very rare Swiss Rexim-Favor Mk5 submachine gun.

1911_Hardball said:
The show Shades of Blue must use a very uncommon variant of a Glock.
Frequently, when one of the characters draws and points one, there is a very distinct sound of a hammer being cocked.
They're using the unusual and highly sought-after Foley Edition. Although very seldom found on the commercial market, it's quite common in movies and TV. ;)

There's also Foley Editions of both S&W and Colt revolvers that make a "ticka-ticka-ticka..." sound when the cylinder is spun. ;)

There are also special Foley Edition cars with tires that squeal on gravel. :D

Hey, lets not forget the 26.5mm Manville Machine Projector grenade launching revolver from Dogs of War - referred to in the movie as the fictional "XM-18ER1".

> AutoMag II

An Automag III in .30 Carbine showed up in an episode of "Castle."

The future-tech rifles in the SF movie "Screamers" were PKMs.

Back