Not so common guns on TV or movies.

In the movie Blood Simple (my favorite movie of all time) "Abby" owns a nickle plated Iver Johnson top break 32 S&W revolver. The private eye has a S&W model 39.

I'm sure many or most of you are aware of the IMFDB site? It's absolutely impressive and you may lose hours of your life digging through the endless info on guns used in movies detailed there.

I liked that one episode of Breaking Bad featured a S&W Performance Center 945 4". Not at all a common gun but kinda bums me out that it is destined for a life as a prop gun.

In "U518" (or whatever the number was), the Marine on the sub had an H&R Reising Model 50. Period correct (though a lousy sub-gun; by mid-war or so the Marines had recalled all of the Reisings).

Years back we had one of these discussions (heh, we have done these many times...) and someone provided a link to discussion with a Hollywood prop guy that had very specific info on a pistol that many or most of us are totally familiar with.

Everyone knows that Bruce Willis' character in the first couple of Die Hard movies got a lot of hard use from his Beretta 92F and most also know that Mel Gibson did the same with his in a handful of Lethal Weapon movies but what it is interesting (and hard to believe!) is that they used the -SAME- handgun.

Okay, not real ammo. But you want a torture test? That is one handgun that has been put through the ringer right there.

I recall a western (Ringo?) where the hero used a LeMat. His schtick was to run out of bullets and when the bad guys chortled - shotgun them!

There was an episode of (The Unit) where ...

Same show has rarely seen Walther TPH and a Seecamp in two of the episodes. Not guns you'd associate with a military unit. Only time I recall seeing a TPH and only the second time I recall seeing a Seecamp which also saw use in a "Law and Order" episode and elicited the comment from a character "that's nice".

IMHO the ultimate movie for "unicorn" guns is Branded to Kill. Jô "Cheeks" Shishido, playing the Yakuza's #3 hit man (one wonders who maintained the rankings), uses a Mauser M712 Schnellfeuer and a Sigiura.

Furthermore, this is by no means the weirdest thing about this absolutely delirious movie. But I digress. ;)

If you pay attention to a lot of 80s tv shows you will see a fair number of HK P7s, P9s, Walther P5s an occasional Mauser HSC and some other oddballs.

Bronson's, er that is, Kersey's Wildey .475 Magnum in Death Wish III must be the coolest.

And there was an HK P9S in St. Ives, and I believe at least 1 or 2 old Bond flicks, used by the villains of course.

It's amazing how many P38s and P08 Lugers were used by villains prior to the '80s. I suppose the obvious Nazi connection was partially behind that....

Model 70 African .458 Win. Mag in Dirty Harry. Apparently it wasn't quite enough edge. An AR-15 would have been a sensible choice but that tiny round would not be Callahan's style.

Oops, forgot I was in the Handgun forum. I'll go with John M's handmade polymer handgun in "In the line of fire".

Last edited:
Kojak carried a model 49 smith in his overcoat pocket. I'm on the bestest, coolest, neatest, movie gun was the python carried by the Rovert Blake character in ELECTRAGLIDE IN BLUE.

Back