Not selling my firearms any more

There have been a few I have let go that I regret but for the most part the ones I sell were actually purchased with the intent to sell for trade for something I want later. I see something with a really good price and have cash it comes home that way I can shoot it and part with it later without any emotional ties. Have to also say there have been one or two that were such good shooters that they haven't left.

I don't sell firearms, but do place them in an Excel file with make, model, caliber, when acquired and comments on it's origin. These I send to my sons who are also firearm enthusiasts for when I cannot have fun with them anymore. Have not had the heart to part in sale or trade to strangers.

I am also trying to keep my list manageable, so if I want a new gun, I may sell one that I have to get a new one, so I can keep the list the same size. I usually don't sell one just for the money (yet, knock on wood). Nor do I buy a new one without selling one I already have.

I am finding that it is better for me to have 3 or 4 guns I shoot often than 12 or 15 that just get shot once in a while

Now here's a progression of my buying and selling:

I bought this .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero:

Then bought these grips and put on the gun, and sold it........

Then bought this Ruger Flat Top .44 Special:

And put those stags on it:

Bob Wright

I generally like the longer barreled Rugers (7.5 inch) but the gun in that last picture sure looks proportioned right and pretty handy.

Thanks for posting.

When I married my wife I promised to love and keep her regardless. I've kept that promise for almost 32 years now. I make no such promise when I buy a gun and have no problem at all swapping one for something better or selling those not used.

There is simply no way I could have owned and had the experiences with as many different guns as I've had in my lifetime without trading or selling. I've owned and shot literally hundreds of different guns and have had a chance to develop opinions based on actual experiences.

Being able to make wise purchases of mostly used firearms has allowed me to sell or trade several at a profit. And made it possible to now have much better quality firearms than I'd ever be able to afford otherwise.

Nothing wrong with buying, selling, or trading. The key is to make wise decisions. I've made a few mistakes when I was younger, but I have learned from them and rarely make them anymore.

If I am reminded of a gun in my safe and my immediate action is not "Oh man, I should really get that out t o the range," it is on its way out the door. I would much rather trade through a lot of guns and try them than have twice as big of a safe with a bunch of guns I haven't shot in years and a buy list that won't be filled for decades.

I thinned out my collection a few years back - hard to give up but it was time for them to go - long-guns & pistols both. I'm at the age that if something happened to me, the wife would have no idea of what they were, what they were worth and I've seen too many folks step in and take advantage of widows. I kept a few of my favoites - I have collected some vintage S & W hand ejectors but I shoot them all as well as my SA revolvers.

Every once in a while I get the "itch" to get a new handgun - which I allow myself to do - life is too short not to have fun. But I usually find myself trading in something I don't want or use anymore.

A few years back, I was able to pick up a nice blued 4" Colt Python - all the hype about them and I wanted to try the "Python experience". I shot it twice I think and I did not like it at all - I much prefer the feel o my old 5" S & W 38 spl. M & P. I tucked the Python away and kept it as an "investment". About a month ago, I began asking myself why I was keeping it? I pulled it out - consigned it at a LGS that I've purchased a number of pistols from and it was gone in two days - at three times what I had originally paid for it. I was happy and I'm are the new owner is as well - at least I hope so. Do I regret it? Nope! I'm going to use part of the money for a Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt - I'm all set up to cast and reload for the 45 Colt & Schofield. The remainder of the money I'm going to hand to my wife and tell her to use if for something she really wants. We just had our 43rd anniversary and I have been truly blessed with her as my wife. We have no children and really no "big wants: -she deserves to enjoy some of the "appreciation" on the Python as well - and it's one less handgun sitting and being unused that someone else can enjoy.

My motto is "never look back with regret . . . look forward to what tomorrow will bring" . . . and live each day to the fullest as life is too short. If that means parting with a handgun to enjoy another or to enjoy something else . . . it's all good!:)

My collection has evolved into less different models but more of each of the same model---I like what I like---so less likely to sell off any of my duplicates because I'd just wind up buying another one anyway.

A guy at work would buy a gun, shoot it a while, then sell it to buy the next one. I bought several of his offered items, at good prices, and just tucked them away. About $3000 in spare funds over a couple of years is today worth about $10,000.

He's moved to another state now, but I'm betting he's still selling stuff to get the next purchase. His net result is about the same number of guns he started with, and no appreciation in value. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems to me you can do better.

A military officer I know, he and his wife bought a house near their first assignment, and instead of selling when the Army moved them every two years, they just made sure they had a down payment available. Now they own several nice rental homes, getting set for their retirement. One is paid for, the others will be soon enough.

I've never sold or traded my firearm. I have two Eagle Scout sons that I have outright given to with the understanding that if they tire of them they must return it to me or offer to his brother first. If I receive one from my family or friends, and if I tire of the firearm for towards ridding it, they will always revert back to the donor or family member. If family rejects the offer, then it's up for the highest bidder or trader.

I also make an Excel document of acquisition, serial number, make model, caliber, from whom it was purchased or acquired, and history of the firearm if known.

Lotta reasons to sell and keep . . .

Shooters:
I have 17 in the safe. If I'd kept everything there'd be 32. If I'm not shooting a gun for more than a year and it's not a keeper as an HD gun or an heirloom or one I'll use to help the kids learn to shoot then I move it on. Lot more fun guns out there to buy and try.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Back