NOT a hunter, yotes in my yard

A couple of them will go in a get the cows attention pulling her away from the calf, the others will go in and start eating the calf from the rear end without even killing it, you can imagine the screams from the calves.

Yikes, that's brutal. When they grabbed my cat I didn't hear a peep. Talked to a local fish & game officer and he said with smaller animals they break the neck within seconds.

A .22 rimfire rifle with a barrel over 20" and either long rifle of CB longs will make very little noise. Just pop the yote behind the shoulder and they will dispose of themselves somewhere in the thick & nasty. Give them the same break they give the small dogs & cats.

good call for the crossbow, I have a recurve that my wife got me two Christmas's ago and still haven't learned to shoot it. I have a dozen nasty looking broadheads. maybe this will finally give enough motivation to get outside and practice. although my recurve is not likely ideal, I am sure it'll do the job if I can

We have more and more of them in North Georgia. They've been seen walking along Interstate 75 in Fulton County, just outside of Atlanta.

Get yourself a predator call and use your AR to dispatch them.

Coyotes are vicious opportunist killers, I have no remorse about shooting any of them.

But aren't any of Mother Natures predators that way? No different than the hundreds of thousands of house cats that roam backyards killing millions of songbirds every year. I have no remorse shooting them either. If a stray 'yote gets one of them before I do, he just saved me a bullet. Coyotes kill to eat, not for the fun of it like housecats and humans. If they are in your backyard, it's because either they are just passing thru or there is a food source there. That food source could be your garbage, the rabbits living under your porch or the rats/mice in your garage/shed. Eliminating the food source more often than not, will make them go away......but then so will a piece of lead. I have no problem with folks shooting them when it is safe and legal, I do all the time. I do have a problem when they make them out to be sadistic killers waiting for the kids at the bus stop..........:rolleyes:

your correct about housecats killing for fun, I have to that lay in wait all day. they just love to leave a mangled rabbit on the porch for me. doesn't bother me though, this is the first year my vegetable garden wasn't raped and pillaged by rabbits.

Well, when coyotes start eating something before they even kill it, making it have an agonizing death, that's pretty darn sadistic to me.

I'm also not convinced they don't kill for fun, on more then one occasion I've known where a lone coyote will come in and torment a dog in it's own yard enough the dog will chase it, then the dog will be jumped by the pack waiting to kill him.

They rip the dog to shreds, don't eat it, they just leave it laying there, that gives me the impression they killed for fun.

orig. posted by Hunter Customs:

Yep, you should see what a pack of them does to a new born calf.

Or a calving cow.

It's as though the yotes learn the language of the cows. They can almost sense that the more bellowing the cow does the closer she gets to giving birth, the more they hang around.
When the cow goes down to give birth, if they can get to her, they will actually yank the calf out of her as soon as the calf starts coming out and they can get a hold of it.

Far as yotes in suburban areas and even in the city...IMO, there will be a continual increase in their population (at least here in the state of Ohio) because there just isn't any programs set up to deal with them and they have no natural predators. We know that yotes, like most predatory game, are going to migrate to where the most abundant, easiest food supply is. No hunting, especially in the suburban areas and city parks equates to large deer herds in these areas as well as other food sources being very abundant for yotes.
This in turn leaves pets and small children at risk. In this state the confrontation between humans and their pets are growing at an alarming rate.

Well, when coyotes start eating something before they even kill it, making it have an agonizing death, that's pretty darn sadistic to me.

I think its always a mistake to attribute human emotion and ethics into animals. For any predator, killing is for the purpose of getting an animal to hold still while they eat it. No predatory animal is concerned about making a quick and painless kill. That is a human emotion that we expect human hunters to live up to, which is why anitis don't like to compare an animals "natural death" to hunting.

Instinctive killing for the sake of killing, or to exercise predatory skills is not confined to domestic cats. To characterize it as "killing for fun" is again attributing human emotion to wild (or domestic) animals. Most of the sweetest and most loveable dogs will kill any other smaller species unless they are trained not to.

When a wild animal kills to survive, by definition it is opportunistic. While humans are taught "don't take more than you can eat, and don't waste food", a predator does not calculate how many of an animal needs to be killed to fill him up. If its a whole little, he will kill the whole litter and decide later if his belly is full.

I support anyone who enjoys lawful and ethical hunting, but if you are motivated by hatred or vengence of certain species for doing what animals naturally do, It would kind of take the fun out of hunting for me.

Agree with your sentiments TimSr.

While I do not have a hatred for yotes and fully understand they are doing what comes natural for them, with the population explosion of them and the damage they do, especially to the deer and turkey population, I will still try and kill every one I see simply because around these parts they have no other predator.

One thing I've learned about yotes...with the number of offspring a bitch throws every year, I don't think we can control, or even maintain them just by hunting. IMO, it's going to take trapping as well... and a lot of it at this point.

Also, far as yotes eating on something while it's still alive, they aren't the only animals that do so. And yes, we frown upon it cause we are human. Don't know how many times I've sit in a boat and watched a coon on the bank catch a fish and eat it while fish is still flopping. That's just mother nature.

Last edited:
So, I guess we have come full circle then. The yotes have no established value system other than to find the easiest way to fill their bellies and we respond with no particular regard to providing them with a quick, relatively short pain period death. What ever works is justified. Works for me.

SKIZ: RE: Post 16; Ga. Code 16-11-103>>>[NO Discharge of firearms within fifty, [50] yards of a Public Highway or Street]. In a Deputy's code book, his also stated, If I remember..."And In The Direction Thereof. Perhaps some LEO out here can bring us up to date. My code books are dated '89 and '91, and have possibly been subjected to change.

As for residential discharge; Deputy friend also advised a few years ago [that] within the city limits...NO discharge of firearms [WITHIN 1000 FEET] of another residence

BUCK 460; RE: Post 45.....Apparently, you must not have heard about the coyote that attacked an [infant] in its carrier while the mother was hanging clothes in the yard mere feet away. Somewhere in Arizona, or California, a few years ago. Coyotes are nothing but vermin and need to be eradicated by any means and at every opportunity.....PERIOD.

WILL

buck460XVR said:
But aren't any of Mother Natures predators that way? No different than the hundreds of thousands of house cats that roam backyards killing millions of songbirds every year. I have no remorse shooting them either. If a stray 'yote gets one of them before I do, he just saved me a bullet.

If you are advocating killing housecats, which are peoples pets, hence the term housecat, not only is that highly illegal, but unethical. If I ever found out a neighbor shot my cat or dog, I would probably be behind bars right now. Personally I have issue even killing stray cat's, the last 5 cats I have had were stray's that I had taken in.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dragline45:

If you are advocating killing housecats, which are peoples pets, hence the term housecat, not only is that highly illegal, but unethical. If I ever found out a neighbor shot my cat or dog, I would probably be behind bars right now. Personally I have issue even killing stray cat's, the last 5 cats I have had were stray's that I had taken in.

In my state, the shooting of feral cats is not only legal, but recommended by the DNR because they are such a detriment to the wild songbird populations. They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam. Did you know you can be charged with trespassing for knowingly allowing your cat to come onto my property? On top of that, you brag about assaulting a neighbor because he was following the law? And you have the nerve to talk about the ethics of others.......

Don't want your house cat shot or eaten by coyotes, keep them safe in your house. Otherwise if they end up disappearing, you have no one to blame but yourself.

In my state, the shooting of feral cats is not only legal, but recommended by the DNR because they are such a detriment to the wild songbird populations. They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam. Did you know you can be charged with trespassing for knowingly allowing your cat to come onto my property?

Would love to see that in writing, I HIGHLY doubt your state allows people to kill their neighbors cats solely because it wandered onto their property. If you want to talk about ethics, anyone who goes out of their way to kill other peoples pets is a sick minded individual.

If you want to talk about ethics, anyone who goes out of their way to kill other peoples pets is a sick minded individual.

Never said I went outta my way to kill anyone's pet...you said that. I only compared the killing methods employed by housecats to those used by coyotes.

Whoa up, Dragline. The deal is not about Darling Fluffy in the usual urban/suburban setting. It's about feral cats outside of those areas.

Feral cats are extremely destructive against squirrels, rabbits, songbirds and quail. That is known fact, not subject to debate.

A study done some years back by the Wisconsin wildlife agency and reported on in (IIRC) Sports Afield magazine concluded that feral cats in rural areas kill approximately 100 songbirds each, per year. The study's estimate of the feral cat population in Wisconsin was approximately one million.

I'm in a rural area in south Georgia. I had noticed a decline in squirrels, rabbits and birds around the immediate area. I learned that a nearby neighbor had nearly a dozen house cats. She had catfood in bowls outside, 24/7/365. The local animal shelter got involved and did the Havahart trap thing for a few months. 72 house cats. We're seeing the beginnings of a comeback in squirrels and birds.

buck460XVR said:
Never said I went outta my way to kill anyone's pet...you said that.

Yes you did... and you even implied it was legal to do so

buck460XVR said:
No different than the hundreds of thousands of house cats that roam backyards killing millions of songbirds every year. I have no remorse shooting them either. If a stray 'yote gets one of them before I do, he just saved me a bullet.

buck460XVR said:
They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam.

Art Eatman said:
Whoa up, Dragline. The deal is not about Darling Fluffy in the usual urban/suburban setting. It's about feral cats outside of those areas. Feral cats are extremely destructive against squirrels, rabbits, songbirds and quail. That is known fact, not subject to debate.

A study done some years back by the Wisconsin wildlife agency and reported on in (IIRC) Sports Afield magazine concluded that feral cats in rural areas kill approximately 100 songbirds each, per year. The study's estimate of the feral cat population in Wisconsin was approximately one million.

I'm in a rural area in south Georgia. I had noticed a decline in squirrels, rabbits and birds around the immediate area. I learned that a nearby neighbor had nearly a dozen house cats. She had catfood in bowls outside, 24/7/365. The local animal shelter got involved and did the Havahart trap thing for a few months. 72 house cats. We're seeing the beginnings of a comeback in squirrels and birds.

I consider feral cat's different than house cats, peoples pets, wandering around neighborhoods, or the lone stray that got lost or left behind by their owners when they moved. Like I said the past 5 cats I had were either lost cats or cats left behind by neighbors who moved out, would not even think about shooting them. Now if there were 72 feral cats roaming a small area like you described wrecking havoc on the wildlife, I agree something has to be done about that. But shooting any cat that wanders onto your property, with the chances that it could be your neighbors pet, doesn't fly with me. This problem could also be solved by trapping, spaying, and neutering feral cats to keep the population in check, and a large part of this problem is cat owners not getting their pets fixed.

Last edited:
Coyotes

Hi to tell you the truth if i were in shoes I would let the D.N.R. OR you wildlife officer look after this for you . good luck and yes they will kill your cats or other pets .

We don't have many issue's with feral cats around here. On occasion we do and the issue is usually resolved in short order.

I consider feral cat's different than house cats, peoples pets, wandering around neighborhoods,

I consider a house cat very different then a cat that is left loose to run the neighborhood using neighboring flower beds as their litter boxes. When I lived in town, this was a big issue between a neighbor of mine and a few of us. These people had better than a dozen cats and let them run. Our dog killed two of these cats in our fenced in backyard and they promptly called the law on us. Not one time,but both times. Once in the winter, once in the summer on a real hot, humid day in which you could get a good whiff of the wife's flower beds. LEO told them to keep their cats at home.

IMO, the laws for cats, especially in city limits should be the same as dogs. Keep em home or on a leash.

Back