NOT a hunter, yotes in my yard

Okay, well.....going to work this morning, I passed a roadkill coyote just short of the exit of my neighborhood. So it seems they are more populous than I first thought. My AR is sighted too 50yards with 50gr GMX by the backdoor to the deck. A 357 lever ready to rock by basement window. And my carry niece doesn't leave my hip. I guess I am going to take a proactive approach and wake up a couple hours early in the morn to sit and stalk. Hopefully ill have my first ever kill here shortly.

Is it coyote "season" right now, or are they always out and about?

I think you've taken the proper approach. The fact that that note totally ignored you bothers me. If it's as dark as the one in the picture it might be melanistic, the opposite of albinism.
As far as stalking a yote, good luck. I've given up on that idea. I used to sit just below the skyline and glass for a yote, then try and do a stalk So far it's coyote 10 zillion and me zip. :D:roll eyes: Sure did good enough to get close to deer though so it wasn't a total loss and I did get out into the hills.
Paul B.

It is legal, I may have a slight legal issue shooting less than 500 ft from my neighbors house, but the threshold is close and its only the house to my right which is anywhere near me. My neighbors hear me pop off a few shots a month anyway, and never give me hassles. If any trouble comes from it, ill claim it had my cat cornered so something. I'll put out a couple pieces of meat and see if they disappear over the night, and if so I guess ill have to find a place to post up for a couple nights and wait it out.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to simply check the laws in your state, and then talk to your neighbors about this problem. You act as though you are trying to get away with poaching or some other crime. I do not know of any state with restrictions on coyote hunting, other than possibly night hunting them, and I doubt you need to be licensed to shoot from the poperty you live. I doubt your neighbors want these animals in their back yard either, and if you just talk to them, and let them know what you are doing, they are much less likely to call law enforcement and complain about a gunshot close to their home, and will likely give you their blessing and may even wish to do the same from their vantage point. Talk to your neighbors. Don't assume they are okay with random gunshots in close proximity just because they have called before, or don't know it was you.

You know, Skizzums, you raise a good question about the likelihood of coyotes using your place, it could be your tract is a Coyote Hole, a space-time vortex, little-known outside of a Texas particle accelerator, where coyotes of past, present, and perhaps the future (science is unclear on this point), appear as the spatial displacement temporal eddies of the vortex ebb and flow.

If so, you're going to need more ammo.

trouble

Coyotes in urban/suburban area is nothing but trouble...and they don't do a deer herd or nesting turkey much good either.

The internet/youtube is full of video's of 'yotes stalking and preying on pets, dogs cats, etc. And I've had a personal experience with that too.

We live out a bit, closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away. Naturally, we have dogs, and a favorite is a big male yellow lab, who went about 80 lbs or so at the time of this tale. He chased a lone coyote out of the yard into the weedy field adjacent ....at night. I heard him leave the porch......then I heard the racket across the way. The mother of all fights. I figure the sly devils had a pack out of sight waiting for him.

Grabbed shotgun, went down driveway, calling dog. He came limping in, chewed to pieces. A trip to emergency vet early the next AM, and $400 bucks, and about a month of light living, and ol' Hanks as good as new, excepting scars on his hindquarters, near the hamstings. I am certain any dog smaller would have been killed outright.

I live in a rual area and at night you can hear the yotes calling each other before they go hunting . Iv killed several including one big alfa male . I shot him one shot in the ear hole with a .22lr hollow point , the rest of the pack that was out of site started howling and whaling all around me .
I had a good Plot Hound that I had trouble keeping behind his fence . One day he escaped and went hunting on his own . He found a pack of coyotes and fought with them . It took him 2 days to come back all chewed up , even his belly tore open and one hind leg the muscel was chewed into . Im a fare home vet he lived but the hind leg shrunk and he had a limp . This dog was near 80 lbs not a small pet .
My varmit policy is if they stay in the wild unless Im varmit hunting they are safe , if they come near my yard they are fare game . Choot em .

ive been spending about 20-30min before bed, around 1:30-2am, sitting on the deck, listening. i also spend a few minutes out right before sunrise, about 5:30. nothing new to report. odd that i have never seen a coyote in my 6 years of living in this house and saw four in one week. 2 at my house, 1 roadkill and 1 walking up the exit ramp on my way to work. seems like they ae setting up roots here, might be an issue of great concern in another year or two. i'll keep poking around, hoping for a moment of opportunity, not sure what else i can do besides that. i have an AR with a mounted light at the ready for the night ad my 357 lever at the ready for sunrise. no new signs, cats are still in and out every night and appear to keep coming home every morning, so maybe much about nothing, but i am keeping a keen eye.

Maybe you'd have better response taking the problem to the state game and fish, conservation dept, or whatever it's called locally. Often they have more/better resources to deal with the larger predators than a municipal animal control.

Many are hunters, and many are not. It should be a mutual respect of opinions and upbringing. The "hunt" is for those who follow our pioneers that fed their families with delicious nutrition. Each state has a Wildlife & Fisheries Department that helps set the game limit of each species, and the fees charged for a license pays for the game wardens and upkeep of the hunting environment....too many of any specie creates a shortage in its food supply. Too few of a species requires protection. We live in the back yard of every species and need to respect wild life more than just us hunters, but for the species that give us a balance of our natural habitat.

Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor / Range Safety Officer

Was reading the local paper this morning and came across a article that made me think of this thread, especially after I read this post....
My coyote policy is, if they are aligned in my sight picture, the shot is safe to take

A Sparta man is lucky after a bullet only grazed his head while his neighbor was shooting at gophers.

The 49-year-old reported on July 3 being outside when he heard a ricochet sound and felt something strike his forehead, later discovering he was bleeding from an inch-long laceration, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department.

The man said he was OK and declined medical attention.

Michael K. Zimmerman, 40, said he shot his .22-caliber rifle about 25 times at gophers in his front yard that afternoon and told authorities it was “dumb” to shoot toward the victim’s house, according to the report. He said it was an accident and that he was not trying to shoot his neighbor.

The victim stated a woman and his 4-year-old grandson were outside with him at the Bayport Avenue residence when the bullet grazed him.

Zimmerman has been charged with endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon. He has an initial court appearance scheduled for Aug. 17.

not a hunter yotes in my yard

i had the same problem and still do to an extent. They have set up housekeeping probably no more than 300 ft behind the house. they have been within a few feet of rear porch. Two of them came after my SIl and his two pups out for a walk. The cats have disappeared and the turkeys and deer just about gone too.
Surgeries and laying around her have kept me from going after them.
As far as the opossums they came to get the bit of cat food left. They cleaned up all the roaches and other bugs coming out of the wooods around the house. I wish I hadn't trapped and relocated them.
There are sign another one maybe be here as they leave small distinct droppings. If so I will let him alone. I' ve know some peopel who made pets out of them or sort of pets. They have some serious teeth that hurt but they are very domestic if tamed or just fed. Depends on how much attention you give them. They aren't the prettiest things but I have seen some more handsome than others. They are all good looking in god's eye.
We have a Fox or more likely family of foxes roaming her now. The coyotes usually get them so we will see. They are gray/red cross.

Skizzums, lots of good advice here. You don't have to be a hunter to engage in pest/predator control.

Coyotes can be dangerous to your pets and, even if rarely, your kids.

An aside, but important issue if you have kids and cats in the house, is one I've been aware of for many years (as a neuroscientist) which surfaces every now and again in the MSM:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii-linked-to-mental-illness-schizophrenia/

If and when the link above expires do a web search on toxoplasma gondii and mental disorders. The issue has been known for a long time.

Aside to Tinbucket: be very cautious in assumptions about making pets of wild animals.

Best,

Will

A 20 gage slug gun will do a fine job. Or a simple single shot 12 gage with a full choke and BBB or larger. I took one out last Sept. and dropped it in its tracks with BBB at 40-50 Yards. The darn thing attacked my Goose decoy.
Shoot from your deck.

not another issue since that week. had a lot of activity all in the span of two weeks(sighting of four and hearing them at night), and now appears to be nothing. not sure if it has something to do with the incline of brutal heat we have been having lately, high 90's to low 100's, but I am not hearing them talk at night anymore and not seeing any.

but I have NEVER in my life seen a coyote, I have been living here for about 6 years in this particular house, so now that they are here, I have a feeling the problem will only get worse as time goes on, even if it is seasonal or intermittent.

Last year my cat was killed by a coyote, stepped onto the deck and saw them chase it into the woods and grab it. Told my self ever since that if I ever see one in the yard again it's getting shot since I have another cat. I am not a hunter, have no desire to kill anything and would feel pretty bad, but I feel worse losing one of my pets.

Around that time they grabbed my cat these things were all over the neighborhood for about a week. You could hear them howling back and forth in the distance, and literally every neighborhood cat was missing after that, they cleaned house and moved on.

Around that time they grabbed my cat these things were all over the neighborhood for about a week. You could hear them howling back and forth in the distance, and literally every neighborhood cat was missing after that, they cleaned house and moved on.

Yep, you should see what a pack of them does to a new born calf.

A couple of them will go in a get the cows attention pulling her away from the calf, the others will go in and start eating the calf from the rear end without even killing it, you can imagine the screams from the calves.

Coyotes are vicious opportunist killers, I have no remorse about shooting any of them.

I use a crossbow. Too many houses close to mine and even with a primitive weapon I'm careful with shot placement.

if i feel these yotes pose a threat to my pets or even my child and the other very young neighborhood kids? should i KILL it f encountered agin?

If it was me, I'd shoot any coyote I saw with whatever firearm I had at hand. They're more than a pest or a nuisance. They're a danger to children and pets.

Back