Noise Levels of Bedside guns

There is another thread on here asking aboutrifles and shotguns indoors. I will say the same thing I said there: firing a rifle or a magnum handgun indoors will make you wish you hadn't. The concussion is disorienting and painful. The pressure wave in your sinuses will give you nosebleeds and the concussion in your ears can drop you to the floor. For a nightstand gun, choose a lower pressure cartridge like a 32, 380, 38 Special, 44 Special, 45 ACP, maybe a 9mm. 357, 44 Mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 12 gauge are out.

Some years back I was at a range and the only other person there was an active duty LEO. We were talking about this subject and he said he had to discharge his 357 in a hallway in the line of duty. His hearing had never returned to normal.

I have read that some people actually keep a set of electronic muffs by their bedstand gun. I'd hate to be in the process of putting them on/turning them on and to lose valuable life saving time.

Add to the above fiddling with eyeglasses. All that's missing would be the vest.

Some years back I was at a range and the only other person there was an active duty LEO. We were talking about this subject and he said he had to discharge his 357 in a hallway in the line of duty. His hearing had never returned to normal.

I have read that some people actually keep a set of electronic muffs by their bedstand gun. I'd hate to be in the process of putting them on/turning them on and to lose valuable life saving time.

Add to the above fiddling with eyeglasses. All that's missing would be the vest.
so, don't use electronic ones, just simple regular old earmuffs. you can still hear though muffled, but you're not shooting until you can see the target anyway. besides, the basic hardening I mentioned gives you the 2-3 seconds of time to don earmuffs.

My alarm system sleeps on a bath mat in the bedroom door.
He goes from condition white (sleeping) to
conditions yellow and orange in a half second.
Always surprises me how he can hear and smell things outside the house!
He'll wake me but waits at door till I give him the "show me" command.

I would have time to put in ear plugs, if I wanted, but I don't.
Switched out my bedside 357M with a 44 Spcl some years ago.
Luckily, I never had to shoot that 357M inside.
Decided to switch one night hunting hogs when
I shot that 357M in the dark w/o hearing protection.
Even outdoors it hurt my ears and what an impressive fireball!
Fireball was about 2' out the barrel and 1' out all around the cylinder gap.

I was once in an interior room with no hearing protection when a 9mm was discharged and suffered no hearing loss, pain, or disorientation. My .357 magnum SP-101 is also kept in an interior room but I keep it loaded with .38 SP JHP to avoid all of the dangers I hear about .357 magnums indoors. Equally effective for up close personal defense, except against bears!

I used to have a .357 next to the bed and one day at the range I fired the gun without realizing my earplugs were not on, so I decided to switch to a new firearm. I have the FNX tactical .45 acp and a 20 gauge pump shotgun....I'm good to go.

so, don't use electronic ones, just simple regular old earmuffs.

Dumb suggestion. The last thing you want is to be hearing impaired while a bad guy is sneaking around your home.

Better off risking hearing damage.

Lots of misconceptions on this thread.

For example, any burst of noise above 140dB will harm one's hearing. And every caliber mentioned (38 vs 357 mag) are both well above the threshold. As is 9mm. 45 ACP, etc. Etc.

Dumb suggestion. The last thing you want is to be hearing impaired while a bad guy is sneaking around your home.

Better off risking hearing damage.

Lots of misconceptions on this thread.

For example, any burst of noise above 140dB will harm one's hearing. And every caliber mentioned (38 vs 357 mag) are both well above the threshold. As is 9mm. 45 ACP, etc. Etc.
no, the dumb suggestion is alluding to searching for a bad guy in your home. you don't need to hear the finest detail waiting for the bad guy to enter the fatal funnel.... do as you wish. I can still carry on conversations while wearing earmuffs. people do it on indoor ranges all the time.

no, the dumb suggestion is alluding to searching for a bad guy in your home. you don't need to hear the finest detail waiting for the bad guy to enter the fatal funnel.... do as you wish. I can still carry on conversations while wearing earmuffs. people do it on indoor ranges all the time.
I worked SWAT for 15 years. The only time we used hearing protection in a tactical situation was when we planned to deploy Def Tecs.

I worked SWAT for 15 years. The only time we used hearing protection in a tactical situation was when we planned to deploy Def Tecs.
you're talking about completely different work than laying in wait for a bad guy to come to you if the police don't get there first.

Also remember that dB levels are logarithmic in nature so a 45 at say 158-160 dB is WAY less punishing then .357 Maggie at 167-169 dB.

And has been said any of them will damage your hearing. The severity may not be obvious but they will damage hearing.

Can any of them be shot without putting you on your ass, absolutely, especially in a pucker factor moment. That said they will still damage hearing.

Flash bangs are EXTREMELY loud somewhere above 175 dB I believe and can fire off multiple times depending on the type, so I imagine suddenly having several surprise 175 dB blasts going off would be nauseating. I imagine even those trained to use them have to acclimate to their use.

Last edited:
I have considered a J frame 3 inch .357, but fear the noise might burst ear drums.
I doubt it will burst your ear drums, but it will be something you will never forget. The people I know who have fired a .357Mag indoors without hearing protection have permanent and very noticeable hearing damage as a result.
I have a set of electronic muffs by the bed. If I were absolutely sure I had time, I would put them on--for one thing they provide better than normal hearing without affecting the ability to locate directions normally. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with them. If there were any chance that time was critical, they would never be touched.

A sudden noise during the night such as my little dog started barking up a storm, or the security system alarm going off, or the sound of a door being kicked in, etc. will hopefully wake me. I would likely grab the gun closest to where I am when in bed, i.e., the bedside stand drawer, which is a 40S&W loaded Ruger sr40c with a 14 round magazine. I would hope that I could exercise sufficient self control to NOT go on a search mission trying to find the bad guy, but would get behind my dresser, facing the door to the bedroom and be prepared to shoot if the thug starts to open that door. If I have a second or two after grabbing the gun I will grab my eyeglasses. If I have a few seconds more, I will slip on basic hearing protection. With enough time, I will dial 911 as well.

I am fairly well deaf already, having suffered major hearing loss from unprotected ears during my year in Vietnam (which is coming on to 50 years ago as of August). But my priority is being ready and able to protect my life and the life of my wife. Second priority is protecting my dog. Third priority is protecting my hearing. Needing a gun in my home when I am not yet in bed would likely result, based on where in the house that I am, of grabbing my 17 round Glock 17 or possibly my S&W Model 19 loaded with 6 rounds of 38 +p. Any of my guns would likely cause short term additional hearing loss, but not as severe as if I was using 357 magnum.

At the outdoor covered range yesterday and there were two fellows shooting short barrel AR type 556 pistols and the report even with hearing protection they were loud. Range officer made a comment that, that is the new Home Protection firearm. I said looks like fun for about 10 minutes!

What ya-don't see is my e-muffs hanging on a hook ----- enhances my hearing & I'll be able to hear the cops later -- LOL

please. please, no one should take what I say as an endorsement for using earmuffs if time allows. personally my alarm siren on the inside of the house is ear piercing, so even if I didn't think earmuffs were a good idea in case of firing a gun inside I'd want them because of that damn alarm.

Last edited:
Think about shooting at an indoor range with no hearing protection. At best you will be having ringing ears, worst case you will blow your ear drums, blind yourself with flash, and become disoriented. if you are talking dedicated bedside gun I would recommend a semi auto, caliber of your preference with a threaded barrel and a linear compensator like the kaw valley. they direct the blast and sound forwards away from the shooter. it still wont be pleasant but it will be a good bit better.

Nothing wrong with having a pair of electronic ear muffs bed side. If you have a chance to put them on then do so, but another option is a suppressor. Suppressors are getting very popular on home defense guns as people want to protect their hearing if they have to discharge a gun in their home.

33e8cfb791279c6245a0de5dca63fd72.jpg

Back