Noise Levels of Bedside guns

JerryM

I havvvva a MAK next to my bed.I have considered a J frame 3 inch .357, but fear the noise might burst ear drums.
Any test of semi auto vs revolver?:confused:
Thanks, Jerry

ANY 357 in a bedroom will burst your ear drums, leave you stunned and blinded for a second when fired without hearing protection

Make it more difficult and time-consuming to get into your bedroom so you have enough time to arm yourself, call 911, and put in a set of foam earplugs.

A Master Lock 265D Security Bar costs about $20 and will give you those precious seconds you'll need to succeed.

Worry about saving your life instead of your ears. One pop ain't gonna leave you deaf.
A .38 or a .45 win't be nearly as loud as a .357 or a 9 MM.

basic ear muffs will make a world of difference if you put them on..... of course decent locks, an alarm system, outside lighting.....

Worry about saving your life instead of your ears. One pop ain't gonna leave you deaf.
There's no guarantee about that.

One pop CAN leave you deaf. Just because the odds are low and you're only guaranteed to suffer "some" permanent damage, doesn't mean you can't lose it all.

Any decent size revolver is louder than an automatic shooting from a closed breech, A .45 auto is relatively quiet compared with a .38 special revolver. And a .45 "poking along" at 950-1000 fps is plenty of power at short ranges inside a building, much less likely to overpenetrate very many walls like a Magnum will.
I like either 2 3/8" 12 gauge 00Buck or a .45 auto lead round nose for inside a building, the environment and range is what .45ACP was designed for.

Worry about your life first, you can't hear anything if you're dead already

in a rush to get your gun, i don't feel that anyone would have enough time to sit and think about ear plugs or ear muffs.

get the gun, point and shoot.

the furniture, walls, carpeting, will/should absorb much of that noise, over say an indoor gun range that has concrete walls where the sounds bounce off them.

of course, you can always be polite, and ask the burglar/intruder to hold it a minute or two, while you put on your ear protection. i am certain he will gladly wait for you to shoot him with your proper ear protection in place.

I don’t think its completely out of the realm of thought to consider sound signature.

I mean ANY firearm discharge in an enclosed, small space is going to be deafening to be sure but lighting off a magnum level cartridge or short AR15 etc. MAY act almost like a flash bang for the shooter.

If one has a choice one might want to find a nice balance in effectiveness and sound signature.

All that being said you will very well experience auditory exclusion due to the stress and adrenaline dump. You are still going to be deafened / damage your hearing but you likely won’t notice it in the heat of the moment, still I PERSONALLY do not choose .357 Magnum or the like for this purpose.

Anecdotally, I was on the firing line at Knob Creek one year and totally heard ready on the left, ready on the right etc. etc. but totally payed NO attention to not having my ears on. When the line went hot it was basically a sharp painful noise for a millisecond or two and then a LOUD low frequency GROWL OR RUMBLE type sensation. I scrambled to get my ears on right quick. Now this was outside of course but it was an experience to be sure.

A .38 or a .45 win't be nearly as loud as a .357 or a 9 MM.
Agreed. My friend has a concrete block reloading building. 12ft x 16 ft. His 300 win mag went off (ad) inside with doors and windows closed. After a couple days, he could hear just fine.

Auto vs revolver is only comparable if they're chambered for the same cartridge.
In your case, the .357 is the worst option.

I actually use a sling shot, almost silent. I wouldn't want to hurt my ear.
Good.
See.
That's a great example of preparing ahead of time, in order to protect the health of yourself and your family, rather than being obtuse and thinking that deafness is better than death, just because laziness won out over logic and reason. :rolleyes:

And....thats why i run cans on my HD guns. Handgun and long gun.
Exactly.
My Maxim 9 runs just like any other no-safety, striker-fired, semi-auto pistol, but offers substantially reduced hearing damage and notably less muzzle flash, from a package the same weight as a full size 1911 and only an inch longer.

Auto vs revolver is only comparable if they're chambered for the same cartridge.
In your case, the .357 is the worst option.

Good.
See.
That's a great example of preparing ahead of time, in order to protect the health of yourself and your family, rather than being obtuse and thinking that deafness is better than death, just because laziness won out over logic and reason. :rolleyes:

Exactly.
My Maxim 9 runs just like any other no-safety, striker-fired, semi-auto pistol, but offers substantially reduced hearing damage and notably less muzzle flash, from a package the same weight as a full size 1911 and only an inch longer.
My uncle was in Nam 3 tours. He said he never had, much less used hearing protection. Was in quite a few fire fights. He could hear just fine when he died of cancer. The reason I know is I asked him one day at range why he never wore ear plugs.

I served 1.5 tours in 'Nam and like your Uncle never wore hearing protection. And after carrying a handgun for many years and having to use it a few times in closed quarters without hearing protection; I can still hear quite well for a 72 year old. (No eye protection either.)

However, as when I was in the military and when I worked for Uncle Sam, I did wear ear/eye protection and now when at a range or out in a field shooting, I do wear ear/eye protection.

But if someone broke into my house, I sure would not hesitate to protect myself, my dogs and my 4k TVs, with a .40 or 9mm (depends on what is closest).

I'm telling you, with just the basic hardening I mentioned already, you will have the time to put on ear muffs. don't worry about dialing 911, your alarm company has already done so. the first kick on your door wakes you up as does the alarm blaring. the second kick on your door your ear muffs are on and gun is in hand, the third kick your door might come open all the way or just partially. either way your ear muffs are on.

Back