no firearms workplace rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife manages a pharmacy/grocery store. One of the major chains. They have a strict NO FIREARMS policy. Some days she opens the store before sunrise. Some days she close's the store at 11: PM then makes the bank drop. Of course she doesnt carry a S&W 36, and a baretta pop-up in .22 She could get fired for that... And one has to be alive to get fired.

A similar law in TX failed to make it to a vote. The inside scoop is that business interests were strongly against it. Progun (haha) legislators proclaimed their support but were in favor of behind the scenes machinations that kept the bill from a vote. Thus, they could spout their support but keep the dough from the businesses.

They did have the time to pass a law that demands that minors have to get parental permission to go to a tanning salon. I don't recall that being a major issue in the defense of liberty. :mad:

My company also sucks... er, I mean forbids firearms on all company property, including the parking lot. How they would ever find out, I'm not too sure - but you have to weigh the risk of getting caught/fired with the risk of not having your gun.

For me, I like my job.

I live in Ohio and when I took my cc class I was told it was legal to lock my gun up in my truck. Then the instructor went on to explain that is was not illegal but if it violates company policy you may be fired. I often work 56 or more hours a week and with half and hour to get there and half an hour to get home I am deprived of a legal right given to me by the state of Ohio for 12 to 16 hours a day and many times six days a week. Some times terms of employment suck.

My company has a pretty stiff "no gun" policy.
When I took the job, I found 4 12ga shotgun shells and a box of .22MAG ammo in the glovebox of my new work truck. :D
The guy before me was an older gentleman and a pretty good friend of mine. He actually recommended me for the job.

When they prevent us individually from doing it ourselves. Implicit in stripping my right to self-defense is a promise to provide some measure of protection

They are not preventing you from protecting yourself at work - they are preventing you from carrying a loaded weapon at work. There are other ways to protect yourself, some of which you may not agree with. If you have signed the employee forms regarding your employment and signed that you agree to their terms, you can be fired without recourse for violating company policy, especially as it regards a safety issue.

Try carrying a weapon onto a power plant, county office or similar locale. You're not only fired, you're going to jail.

It's simple - if you do not like the company policy, either fight to change it or find other employment. A company whose insurance requirements necessitate those policies is not going to risk going out of business to assuage your personal feelings on this

Lucky Me!

I work as an Operations Manager in the Construction Industry and my boss is completely cool with me carrying while on company time. I am on the road alot as part of my job, so it really makes sense for me to carry all the time. Just today the senior management of the company went out to lunch at a local Ruby Tuesday's restaurant and the waiter said "are your job sites that bad" while he was looking down at my pistol in a paddle holster on my strong side. I just shook my head no and said " I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". My boss just looked at me and laughed. He carries a Glock 23 sometimes. I guess im pretty lucky to be in such a pro gun environment.

Good thread.

I'm going to move this one down to Law & Civil Rights, though, since although it began as a pretty solid tactics & training thread it appears to have morphed more into the legal aspects.

pax

Bingo!

basically if you don't like their policies/ procedures/rules then you are free to find another job

That is exactly what 'free' means. Free to make decisions when presented with options. It doesn't mean you're always going to like the options.

Company I worked for has a no gun policy, indoor and parking lot. They used to have security guards, which were unarmed and sat in a shack at the entrance of the lot--no gates. They didn't like the idea of guards on the payroll, so now they have only cameras that are pretty much unmonitored--they are not recorded. They've threatened, but not done so yet, automobile searches. Several years ago an incident arose that got two men fired. They were third shift employees, and must have had a beef going on. They met shortly after work at a local gas station/carwash, and argued. One pulled a gun and fired, damaging only a carwash window. Regardless of circumstances, company fired them on the reasoning 'as soon after work as that was, they HAD to have had the gun in the car at work'. I've always thought to myself, what if they had gotten it elsewhere? Many guys meet their wives in the lot, and so on.

Last edited:
I work on a "National Defense Contractor" facility. No firearms allowed on the property with the exception of the armed guards and LEOs.
Oh, and the occasional armed military vehicle dropping in.

I do. Local ordinance doesn't allow firearms on the companies property. My situational awareness is the same. The only thing that changes are my self defense options to and from my vehicle.

My local state (VA) delegate just introduce a parking lot bill

HB 171, Delegate Pogge (R - Yorktown), makes it so no person, property
owner, tenant, employer, or business entity can prohibit a person from
having a firearm locked in or locked to a motor vehicle in a parking
lot. It also exempts that person, property owner, tenant, employer,
or business entity from any civil action that results from any
occurrence of such lawfully stored firearm. The bill exempts schools
and company vehicles.

I do not know how much muscle she has to get it passed, but it is a good start. There is also at least one bill to remove the restaurant (alcohol serving) concealed carry ban. I certainly support both bills. It would be interesting to see if the parking bill applies to federal property.

Read the complete bill, no discussion of federal property in it.

Last edited:
My Company has a no weapons policy .

They have zero reguards for the safety of employee.

I must walk out of store nightly with bank deposit alone.

Last month a employee in another store was robbed and shot

Still the policy has not changed this company has always been

anti safety for employee from the jump .

I carry daily they can stick it I am going home nightly

A moral one, but not a legal one

Does the employer have a duty to protect an employee from a 'nut job' ?

If they affirmatively strip me of my ability to protect myself, then yes they do have a responsibility to do it for me.

I have to play devils advocate here. No company has a legal responsibility to protect your person from a "nutjob". The best you will be able to do is find that under US law, they have a responsibility to provide you with a safe work environment. They are required to provide you with information, training, and protective equipment for workplace hazards.

Armed nutjobs are not a workplace hazard, as defined by law and regulations. They may be a workplace hazard in reality, but until they become one in law (and covered by OSHA), your employer is off the legal hook.

While preventing you from having a loaded gun or any gun or even any ammo in/on company property may seem to you to strip you of youir ability to protect yourself, in the eyes of the courts it does not. As long as you have any means of self protection at all (and yes, that includes fists and feet), your right has not been stripped. It has been restricted.

And, on top of that, you chose to comply. Simply by working for the company, you are giving your agreement to their policies. And that is what will kill any lawsuit for damages, if you get shot. You knowingly accepted the risks, by working there.

SO, you know the risks, you know the rules, and you choose to work there anyway. That makes it your responsibility, not the employer.

I agree, that if they prevent you from being armed, they have the moral obligation to protect you. But not a legal one. It will be a tough case to prove, and I doubt any really smart lawyer would take such a case, hoping to win. Such a case would be a bluff, hoping for an out of court settlement, if they take it at all.

And I do work in a place where no personal firearms (or ammo) are allowed. But since we are 35 miles from the nearest town, and no one without a badge is going to get within 20 miles of where I work, and we have a full time professional armed security force, I feel fairly safe, at work.

It is not a good idea to announce that one will violate a company policy on the Internet. You might be recognized and turned in.

Second - if your company has an announced policy - violating it may violate the carry laws in your state and you have announced here that you are a lawbreaker.

So let's stop doing that.

I am personally in favor of laws that prevent companies from banning carry unless there is a specific and technical risk but that is another argument that we have done many times.

I must respectfully disagree... I do believe that a business has an implied responsibility to protect it's employee's, and customers from harm. Not just from work place hazards but from common hazards also. Although a nut-job may not constitute a common hazard, a parking lot mugger may. Otherwise why limit access, lock doors, or have security personel (other than loss prevention). Business's operate everyday under various codes designed to provide protection from uncommon hazards. (fire codes, bulding codes)

anyway... just my thoughts on the matter.

GlennDee

Glenn Dee said:
I must respectfully disagree... I do believe that a business has an implied responsibility to protect it's employee's, and customers from harm. Not just from work place hazards but from common hazards also....
If you mean morally, that's a matter of opinion; and I'm sure there may be differing opinions on that point. If you mean legally, maybe and maybe not, and maybe under some circumstances and not others, and maybe only if some special conditions are satisfied.

It's all going to depend on where and what the law is there. But in general, I think it will be a very rare event for a court to find an employer to be responsible.

I think it quite interesting that the place I work part-time supposedly has a strict no weapons policy but my presence is requested by the boss or a supervisor every time there is any type of suspected problem upcoming. "Call Delz, he's a retired cop!"

I think I'm expected to carry. Nobody has ever come right out and asked if I was carrying but it is routinely hinted by coworkers that they are glad I can protect them!

I worked for Keebler Denver Bakery, We could not even TALK about guns at work. Keeber was the worst bunch os SOB's I have ever worked for. Got layed off thanked god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back