no firearms workplace rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I work, I am not allowed to have a Firearm on me while on company time. They also have a company " Policy " that states I am not even allowed to have a firearm locked in my car, while working.

But, Kentucky state law says I can have a firearm in my car, and no company policy shall keep me from doing so. So, yes - I keep a handgun secured in the car, while working.

I feel like this - Basically, since they are telling me I am not allowed to carry while working - to me, that means they are telling me they will protect me, and will not put me in harms way. Yeah right!

If anything ever happens, and I live through it......Lawsuit!

The only time I'm disarmed is when I'm working. And I just don't think it's fair.

But when they prohibit me from protecting myself through a weapons ban, does that mean they take that responsibility on themselves, since they prevent me from doing it?

That's exactly what it should mean.

If anything ever happens, and I live through it......Lawsuit!

Well I figure if you got the money a lawyer might take the case, as they need to earn a living also. I wonder if a lawyer would take such a case on a contingency basis. Any thoughts ?

Just empty language

It's not about liability, it's about insurance costs, control, and politics. They put it in their manual, it makes the insurers happy, the managers think they're forcing the workplace to be "safer", and there are actually a large number of people (sheep - in denial) who think it will do exactly that.

We know the truth. No "policy" would stop a person deranged enough to shoot up a workplace, any more than a "No Guns" sign will stop a robber or rapist or murderer. Actually having a co-worker with a CCW would, to me, make the workplace more safe.

And while possible that a jury may find your employer deprived you of your right to self defense with firearms, thus took on liability and responsibility for your safety, that will be of little consolation to your survivors as they visit your grave. Remember that even the police do not have responsibility for your safety.

I work in a very "hard" building - the Javits Federal Building in NYC. FBI, Secret Service, FPS, ICE, lots of guns in the building with supposedly trained users. No CCW. Also i cross from CT (Resident CCW) into NY (no non-res permit issued) and into NYC (almost no permits issued, period, except to friends of the mayor) so i have to lock it in my truck safe, and go naked on public transportation. But i don't have to pass a magnetometer, so i could carry to my hearts content as long as it is deeply concealed. I won't, but the realization is that a disgruntled employee could pack an arsenal into a brief case and just waltz into the building. Head up to Social Security, say, and let 'er rip.

Despite there being hundreds, if not more, armed LEOs in the building, there is absolutely NOTHING they do under current access policy that could prevent such a tragedy. Except mop up the blood and pick up the larger pieces afterward. Even here, my security and defense is still my own responsibility, but they've totally disarmed me. Not being willing to violate state and federal law, i comply. Baaaa.

I work at a place with a strict "no guns" policy. Each entrance is marked and all that. If you do have a concealed-carry gun coming in to work, you must check it in to security. It's quite a hassle, and one has to come early and stay late just to get disarmed, which is why I don't bring a gun to work to begin with. I honor company policy because having a job is extremely important, I just wish the company had a more sensible policy.

We do have a security force of sorts, but they're not armed and seem to be more concerned with issuing warnings for parking where you shouldn't. I don't leave a gun locked in the car either, as the facility I work at is in a very bad part of town. In my department alone, I know of 4 instances of cars being stolen within the last 8 years or so and at least 3 break-ins within the last year alone (which by the way, also speaks to the effectiveness of our security). So I figure the odds of the gun getting stolen are too elevated to risk leaving it in the car. They can steal the stereo or the whole car, insurance will cover it, and I can replace it. At least they won't do much harm with a stolen stereo, a stolen gun on the other hand.

Last year, at one of our other branches, a crazed gunman barged in and shot a couple of people and then himself. It's tragic. It does seem to illustrate that to the crazy guy with evil on his mind and a rifle in his hands, the sign means nothing, it is to the people who aren't allowed to defend themselves from the crazy guy that the sign is of consequence.

How does working in such a place change my situational awareness? I don't know that it does. I don't think I'm more cautious, or more aware of my surroundings when I am not allowed to carry. I guess, that's because "Plan A" for a self-defense situation has always been to flee and get away from the attacker if at all possible. That is flight rather than fight. It's only for if evasion isn't possible, and fighting off the attacker isn't possible, that I have a CHL. So at work, I guess I only have Plan A as an option. Sucks I guess, but then I get in a car and drive just about every single day and don't think much about the dangers of that.

It's not about liability, it's about insurance costs,

We have a winner!....That's it in a nutshell. Employers are afraid of either losing coverage or having it priced so out of reach, rules like that are instituted.

I dont think these "NO FIREARMS POLICIES" have anything to do with safety. I truely believe that the employers are just reducing their exposure to lawsuits.

You got it. Everything a company does is related to maximimizing profits. If employees get killed, and there is no liability to the company, well too bad.

Thats fine... I wonder how long they would last if people injured by criminal violence in the work place sued the employer's for failing to protect them, and not allowing them to protect themselves.

Since when are Corporations required to protect their employees from crime?

If you are murdered on the job, it is a law enforcement matter. The government picks up the tab.

Look at Pizza Delivery forums like http://tipthepizzaguy.com/ or http://gregspages.com/discussion/

Pizza companies knowingly send their drivers into risky areas.

And will fire the employee for carrying firearms.

Better a dead employee than a lawsuit.

Last edited:
Since when are Corporations required to protect their employees from crime?

When they prevent us individually from doing it ourselves. Implicit in stripping my right to self-defense is a promise to provide some measure of protection. If I can demonstrate (might be tricky) that I was harmed and could have avoided being harmed had the company NOT enacted a no guns policy, then I may win a lawsuit.

I work at a university so weapons are not an option.

Implicit in stripping my right to self-defense is a promise to provide some measure of protection.

IIRC an employer is not required to protect you if they have a " no firearms policy ", basically if you don't like their policies/ procedures/rules then you are free to find another job. If you read the employee handbook and signed off on it then you must conduct yourself properly under the rules set forth in the handbook or risk termination of employment

can anyone cite a lawsuit where the employer lost due to " failure to protect an employee from harm " if they have a no firearms policy?

It's a dumb rule. It can't be enforced, unless you plan on using metal detectors, and even then, unless you are an airport or a courthouse or some top secret government agency, it won't be effectively enforced. There are simply too many ways for an employee to get a gun and ammo into a workplace if he wants to.

You will never even know who is carrying a gun if they are responsible and knowledgable CCW gun owners. The guy who is bent on shooting up the place because he was just fired is going to attempt to do that whether you have a policy or not against bringing guns to work.

So, having a policy against carrying a gun to work is really just another way for an employer to find cause for firing certain employees, if they really want to. There is no correlation between no-gun policy and work place safety.

Skans said:
...It can't be enforced, unless you plan on using metal detectors, and even then, unless you are an airport or a courthouse or some top secret government agency, it won't be effectively enforced. There are simply too many ways for an employee to get a gun and ammo into a workplace if he wants to....
Among other things, many employers require that as a condition of employment employees are deemed to have consented to search of their work stations, brief case or other containers, and cars parked on company property.

A few years back, AOL, from security camera pictures, identified three employees as having guns in their cars parked in a lot used by AOL employees; and they were fired for violation AOL's no guns policy. The Utah Supreme Court sided with AOL.

So maybe an employee will get caught, and maybe he won't. But if he does get caught, he will most likely be fired; and he'll have no recourse. However, a few states, like Florida and Oklahoma have enacted laws preventing employers from taking disciplinary action against employers for having guns locked in their cars parked on company property.

My company's policy is horribly draconian and based entirely on insurance company demands: we must consent to a search of our private vehicle or bags, as well as any company property. Guns are forbidden. However, it is not posted. The policy says the punishment is termination.

I personally know of at least 3 employees who drive company vehicles and carry every day. I know most of the truckers coming in and out of our facility carry as well. I suppose all of those people would rather be alive and without a job than a dead guy who followed the company handbook. However, my boss made it clear that no one would be searched unless they had cause to do so. In other words, no random searches.

The phrase, "always carry, never tell" comes to mind in situations like the one I just mentioned.

I work for a company that has a weapons free premisis policy. It was quite well explained that a pocket knife in the car constituted as a weapon.:barf: (I wonder whtat they would do if they found a tire iron.)
One person did settle out of court with the company on a law suit from them wishing to search his vehicle. He had previously sighned a consent to search form. When they demanded he open his vehicle for them he said clock me out. All further comunication shall be thrugh my attorney.
It has been 2 years. They have not attempted to search another vehicle since. Rumor was they had to pay him 5 years pay.
I can see the resoning behind I can "live" with being fired. Personaly I am situationaly aware at all times. My weapon is of no comfort to me. I know exactly what it is for. I accept that fact, and go about my daily life.

New Utah Law

Fiddletown, Utah passed a law allowing anyone to carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle. They also passed a law which allows a gun to be kept in a employees vehicle while at work.

Mike Pearce said:
....Utah ...passed a law which allows a gun to be kept in a employees vehicle while at work....
Thanks for the information. That makes three that I know about. There may be more.

I own the company and have four cops that work for me (real estate). I am not about to infringe upon anyone's 2nd Amendment Right. The only people that carry are the cops and me. Often times we need to enter 'abandoned' buildings that are not always vacant. Some of the vacant properties have become flop-houses. Also, many properties I show are know drug houses... pit bulls and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back