• Nine rounds of .380 ACP

Votes: 75 59.5%
  • five rounds of .38 Special

Votes: 51 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Model12Win

Hey all!

Well I've got a Bersa Thunder which takes 8 round magazines, plus one in the chamber equals 9 rounds of .380 ACP. The gun has been 100% reliable so far.

I've also got a S&W 642 snub nose revolver, which has 5 rounds of .38 special on board. It too, has been very reliable.

So reliability aside, which would you rather have on tap: 9 rounds of .380 or 5 rounds of .38 special?

I've heard that with modern ammo, these rounds are close in performance. Tom Gresham from Gun Talk radio likes the .380 and thinks it is very capable with today's ammo. But, there are many who really like the .38 special too. What do you think on this? I plan to make one of these guns my EDC, so am just wondering your guys feeling on this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I found my Thunder to be easier to shoot more accurately than my 642. If you can shoot both accurately, I would say go with the Thunder. 80% more firepower. I owned both at the same time. I carried the 642 more often because I was infatuated with the Smith until the finish started falling off.

There's quite a bit of difference in the performance between a 158gr +p FBI load and even the best that 380 has to offer, most of the better performing 380 loads that expand reliably penetrate in the 10-12" range while the FBI load is 15" +. That said I do carry a 380 in the warmer months when the probability of having to penetrate a couple extra layers of clothes is lower. I also realm have no desire to carry a 380 as large as the Bersa when I van have 9X19 on tap in the same size gun.

My choice would be for higher capacity. Combining two bits of accepted wisdom - that your hit rate is not likely to be 100% and that handgun calibers are not reliable in making one-shot stops - makes me want to carry more than five rounds.

In the next breath, though, I will echo one of mavracer's points. The chief advantage of .380 ACP these days is that very small, pocket-sized pistols can be built around the cartridge. I have heard good things about the Bersa, but its dimensions are too similar to some nice 9 mm pistols to make it something I would choose for concealed carry.

I Like carrying my 637 on my hip ( like today ) but I also carry my LCP with 8 rounds in my back pocket at the same time. So.. I vote for both, which isn't listed in the poll.
I also carry a extra mag, and speed strip in the watch pocket of my wranglers.

I was thinking about buying a Bersa Thunder, but if I want to carry something that big, I'll carry my Ruger LC9 with spare mag ( I have a Walther PPK/S but it's to heavy for a 380 also )

Many factors that I would consider and I have a lot of hands-on experience with both platforms. While I believe 100% in my conclusions -- I also admit without any doubt that these are very personal opinions and it's silly to expect that my thoughts would project well on to the next guy.

I have owned one Bersa Thunder and I know at least five others very well from friends and family members. Two of those six Bersa Thunders broke and it was the same failure each time... suspect trigger linkage resulting in a non-resetting trigger. At the price point, I think the Bersa is solid gun for the money but IMO, it is a budget gun and personal carry/defense is not a low-budget subject. So in gun vs gun, no comparison in my opinion when it comes to quality and reliability.

As to the capability of .380 to .38 Spl defense ammo, I also believe I would be willfully handicapping myself with either choice. This is where it gets personal and my opinion here means a lot to me, in my comfort zone with regards to comfort, concealability and confidence in running the platform.

I find .380 to be suspect and offers me no gain over 9mm when I have zero issue in handling and comfortably concealing 9mm. And .38 troubles me for a slow reload, low-capacity and the one little angle where it is easily known that I have limited shots. Even the most basic foe would assume I have six and the reality is that I only have 5. In a semiauto, a foe basically has no idea if I have 5-10-15 rounds on board, with a fast reload.

Bottom line is that I would never put myself in the position to choose either option. If forced, I have to go with five I know I can count on... so I'd pick the S&W over the Bersa every time.

I will add that I have evolved in my thinking when it comes to "capacity" over time. In my formative gun years, Jeff Cooper was a God to me. And maybe he didn't come out and say it (haha, he probably did actually...) but carrying any kind of hi-cap usually meant that you would spray and pray and that a lower capacity gun forced you to make shots that "count."

I have spent nearly 30yrd doing my level best to make ALL shots count... so doing a mag-dump for any reason is not in my DNA.

A handful of years ago I swapped a G19 to a nice local guy who was (no kidding) 6'9" and somewhere at/over 300lbs. He described himself to me as such before we met for the sale. The sweet Model 60 was his EDC but on the trade block after three gangbanger types accosted him at a gas station. 5 shots and a slow reload and three guys who -CHOSE- a guy 6'9 & 300lbs.

He loved the revolver but his choice after that was a high-cap pistol.

Assuming a single aggressor, they are likely the same, since only the first, and possibly also the second, fired rounds matter.

Posted by RKG:
Assuming a single aggressor, they are likely the same, since only the first, and possibly also the second, fired rounds matter.
I don't know why one would assume a single aggressor, but I see no basis for believing that only the first or second rounds matter. What matters is which rounds hit what within the body timely.

The 38 special +P still has an edge, however slight, over the 380 round. The chances are very slight that you ever have to use your self defense handgun, and even smaller that you would have to fight with more than one attacker.

In the long run, you should carry the gun that you feel the most comfy with.

Good Luck.

I used to carry a revolver, still do sometimes just because, but I do feel undergunned since I don't know what situation i'll be in. I would carry the gun that car handle 2+ plus "aggressors". remember the attempted car-jacking video that was posted up here last month.....if they all chose to fight that guy, he would have needed all that firepower and then some. I am no confident enough to know 100% that I could take out two armed people with five rounds of anything. I carry the pt111 with 12 rounds of 9mm and I feel confident with it.

I'll stick with 5 rounds of 38.
1: Personally, I'm more sure of my accuracy with MY 38
2: I'm far more confident in the results of a hit with a 38
3: I would only carry either 5 shot 38 or 380 in what I consider a low threat environment.

Given a choice, let me choose capacity over caliber, then I can focus on shot placement.

3: I would only carry either 5 shot 38 or 380 in what I consider a low threat environment.
Mobuck, I would ask you consider that the bad guy picks the time and place. Most people feel secure at home, yet we often hear of home invasions. Alway have the gun you trust close by, no matter where you are.

Given a choice, let me choose capacity over caliber, then I can focus on shot placement.

Mobuck, I would ask you consider that the bad guy picks the time and place. Most people feel secure at home, yet we often hear of home invasions. Alway have the gun you trust close by, no matter where you are.
This is why I carry a .45 acp 6+1

Depends.

Maybe driving and anti-carjacking defense where I might expect to get few shots, I'd go with the .38 +P. Same with maybe winter. Seems thugs may not be out in as many numbers, and may wear heavier clothing.

Warm weather, daily carry, I'd go for capacity. Hits with a .380 are better than misses or non-shots with a .38.

Back