Nikon is leaving the scope market?

Somewhere in China there's a factory that makes 99% of the world's sub $400 scopes and red dots.:D:D:D:D
It certainly appears that way.

I know of one of the newer US scope companies that states that their scopes are designed here, use Japanese glass, and are made in their own facility in China.

I guess that's one way to do it.

22 posts and only a couple of people addressed my questions.

The rest just turned into a Nikon bashing/defense thread. I'm sorry people had a bad time with Nikon. I've had nothing but good experiences. Just like any other manufacturer in any market, there will always be some good experiences and some bad. I was just looking for confirmation if this is truth or not, since a single source from an outdoor mag doesn't necessarily count as truth.

Mods, shut 'er down please.

Sounds like I need to buy a few more before they are all gone!
The post is reverent to those like you whom prefer/ use the product.
Maybe consider {this OB's advice.}

My opinion & likes:
My preference in scopes {leupold} but I do believe it would behoove someother to squirrel away a spare Nikon or two.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gear/nikon-will-no-longer-make-riflescopes/

I pulled this from the 6.8 Forums and it caught me by surprise. Has anyone else heard or read anything else about Nikon leaving the scope market?

I've been running Nikon for years with great success, and like their Spot On app for the BDC reticle. Maybe this is why they haven't produced any app updates for some common factory loads.

Sounds like I need to buy a few more before they are all gone!
22 posts and only a couple of people addressed my questions.

The rest just turned into a Nikon bashing/defense thread. I'm sorry people had a bad time with Nikon. I've had nothing but good experiences. Just like any other manufacturer in any market, there will always be some good experiences and some bad. I was just looking for confirmation if this is truth or not, since a single source from an outdoor mag doesn't necessarily count as truth.

Mods, shut 'er down please.
Yes, I have heard or read about Nikon leaving the scope market.

I have Nikon scopes on my Remington .270 700, my sons Remington .243 700 and my Glenfield bolt action .22 rifle. We lost track long ago of how many deer, woodchucks and other varmints have been taken with the Nikon scopes. No issues, just clear glass, rugged construction, pinpoint accuracy at a decent price. Hot summer days through bitter cold winter winds and ice, the Nikon's have done what we asked without issue. I also have Nikon binoculars we use to keep an eye on the backyard / property lines.
No complaints from my family. We have gotten our money's worth and then some. I suppose I could have easily spent far more on glass, but my freezer still wouldn't be any fuller ...:D

Last edited:
I have Nikon scopes on my Remington .270 700, my sons Remington .243 700 and my Glenfield bolt action .22 rifle. We lost track long ago of how many deer, woodchucks and other varmints have been taken with the Nikon scopes. No issues, just clear glass, rugged construction, pinpoint accuracy at a decent price. Hot summer days through bitter cold winter winds and ice, the Nikon's have done what we asked without issue. I also have Nikon binoculars we use to keep an eye on the backyard / property lines.
No complaints from my family. We have gotten our money's worth and then some. I suppose I could have easily spent far more on glass, but my freezer still wouldn't be any fuller ...:D
EXCELLENT. Well stated. I have multiple Nikon Omegas and these were wonderful scopes. Strong enough to use on458 mag with long eye relief. There are some I dont like, that is true of all product lines. The optics were very good, man the junk you read on the internet!

I dont have any use for 'trick' reticles and that includes and and ALL the duplex alternatives. The ONLY scope I will every purchase is a cross hair or duplex. Never a military dot setup for me. No circles or hash marks of any kind. That has eliminated 95% of everything out there today including the mil dot crap.

[QUOTEI dont have any use for 'trick' reticles and that includes and and ALL the duplex alternatives. The ONLY scope I will every purchase is a cross hair or duplex. Never a military dot setup for me. No circles or hash marks of any kind. That has eliminated 95% of everything out there today including the mil dot crap.

][/QUOTE]
To each his own! Buy what you like! A MilDot reticle is just a tool.Some folks understand what they are for and how to use them. Fewer uee them enough to be proficient.
To lack competence with a tool does not make the tool crap.
While the MilDot can be used for a hold reference,its primarily a rangefinder

It works pretty good if you learn the skill.

I have a Pride-Fowler 10Xscope with the 800 yd Rapid Reticle. I believe it was built by Nikon.Its on a 308 and it works quite well. I have no complaint.

It really is a surprise, I thought they were FINALLY getting serious with their new 1000 black scopes, which I bought 2 of but feel they fell just a bit short given their price.

I have 1 Nikon scope, never bought second one, it just isn't as clear as a Leupold or Burris. A 200.00 Leupold is better than a 200.00 Nikon.

Given Nikon's position in the camera and other optical products markets, I doubt they would share their brand name with someone else over which they have no control.

I have several older Monarchs, the newest being 17 or 18 years old. Two are older fixed power, 6X and 4X Monarchs. I've had no problems with them, but since buying the last one, I have always been amazed at the number of refurbished Nikon scope available. You don't see other refurbished brand scopes for sale. May be other brand just trash their returned scopes.

I read most of the posts.
Comments--

lifetime-whose??
I only have one Nikon w/ Nikoplex- a 4x or 6x straight power.
Never had to ask for service. See comments about 'original' receipt even when registered--BS.

One other scope mfg who also just went out-of-business had the receipt thing and only warrantied to original purchaser. If you have the orig receipt and pass it to someone else who knows. Yes, that dont happen except perhaps in a family.

Back