New to blackpowder

You might be able just to use the chamber with the nipple that's rusted in. Many people claim that soaking the cylinder in a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone will loosen it up.

Ok ya it locks up, it doesn't spin but it does have the shake to move back and forth. And I'm just going to clean the stuck one as best as I can and try not to use it i will mark it as hawg suggested with some white out. And then when I get a new tool and nipples I will soak it first than try again to remove it.

Kroil or Penetro 90 will work better than WD-40. Something isn't right. It shouldn't have any backward movement at full lockup. It shouldn't have that much at half cock with the bolt retracted.

I think it's because the wedge for the arbor to keep the barrel on is worn out it doesn't tighten and just falls out although that is with the barrel fully seated on the arbor. So maybe my arbor is to long or like you said maybe something is wrong. It was bought for 20 bucks 30+ years ago and just been sitting. My dad doesn't really know anything about the gun and all my knowledge is from research and the collective wisdom here on this forum.

If the arbor was too long the barrel lug wouldn't mate up to the frame. If it's too short the wedge will absorb all the recoil. I would be taking it apart to see what was going on. Can you post pics?

Ok the arbor mates fine with the barrel. It sits good but the wedge is really loose it doesn't lock the barrel in place it just pops out even just moving the gun around. Can I get a new one for this gun? I have it completely stripped right now except for the arbor from the frame. And no I can't post pictures yet I'm on my phone and the pictures are too large of a file to post on Here. I need to make a photobucket account t or something so I can post the url. What should I be looking for in regards to the cylinders back and forth play when fully cocked?

You should measure the depth of the hole and the length of the arbor. If the hole is too deep you can shim it with washers in the hole. On that gun you can probably remove the cylinder and put the barrel on with a quarter turn and see how the frame and barrel lug mate up. You can't do that on a Uberti tho. VTI may have a wedge but you can probably make one for another brand work. https://www.vtigunparts.com/ I would look at the bolt and cylinder notches to try to figure out why it moves on lockup.

By the bolt u mean the piece by the trigger that keeps the cylinder from moving ? If so it looks like the edges have been filed down on both sides or worn down really bad this seems do be the cause of the slop. The cylinder notches don't really look worn

No I did not shoot it unfortunately, I believe there might be to much play in the cylinder with the hammer fully cocked going to order a new bolt if I can from vti. Hopefully that will solve the problem

Back