New SW 66 and classic 19 questions

The Model 66 has always been a "dream gun" to me but, never able to find or afford one, I went in for the Ruger Security-Six in a big way. I have one in each barrel length, plus a couple of 3-inch Speed-Sixes (they were born .38 Spc, but teamed for the .357). Since the early days I've come to since believe that the Rugers are better guns, but I still have always wanted a 66, and not just any 66, but the 66 no-dash. I want mine to have a pinned barrel and counter-bored chambers. And I want the S&W stamp to be on the side plate and not under the cylinder release on the other side. (I've also heard that the no-dash model is made from a better grade stainless steel, but I've never been able to confirm that.)

The 66s and the Security-Sixes are better guns than today's fare. Today's .357 DA revolvers are great range and competition guns, but lousy camping, hiking and fishing guns. The under-lugs make them too damn heavy for outdoor use and S&W and Ruger are failing to address this problem. The one revolver they offer (the new 66) is one of the ugliest guns I've ever seen. They look like they were using parts from different guns when assembling them. Yeesh! You've heard the phrase, "If I had a dog that looked like yours, I'd shave its ass and make it walk backwards!" That's how I feel about the new 66 (which by the way isn't available in a 6-inch barrel, the very barrel length an outdoorsman needs!).

The S&W 686 is one of the greatest .357 revolvers ever made, don't get me wrong, but who wants to lug one around, especially with a 6-inch barrel? When I visit musty, dank, dark indoor ranges, the 686 can't be beat. But for hiking and other outdoor activities, it just isn't the gun most people would reach for. If I'm wrong, let me know, but post a picture of your dog when you do it!

S&W 686 (top) and Ruger Security-Six.
If heading for the outdoors, which would
you take?

Last edited:
tipoc said:
Cajun,

Compare the area below the area of the forcing cone from the 66 to the 19 Classic. You earlier pic in post #34 shows that area in the "Classic" well. You comment on the extra meat there.

tipoc

Sorry, I just saw this. I had to dig both out of the safe and take a look. The only difference I see is the lug for the front locking mechanism. That looks like they just took material from the yoke area, but kept the same overall dimensions. That's using my old MK I eyeballs of course.

That's how I feel about the new 66 (which by the way isn't available in a 6-inch barrel, the very barrel length an outdoorsman needs!).

The S&W 686 is one of the greatest .357 revolvers ever made, don't get me wrong, but who wants to lug one around, especially with a 6-inch barrel?

You seem to be saying the six inch barrel is the best length for the outdoors carry but that no one would ever want to carry one in the outdoors because the six inch length is too long. Which is it? :confused:

You seem to be saying the six inch barrel is the best length for the outdoors carry but that no one would ever want to carry one in the outdoors because the six inch length is too long. Which is it?

I think he likes a 6" barrel, but doesn't care for the extra weight of the full length underlug barrel. It's not the length, but the weight.

Neither do I.

The Model 66 has always been a "dream gun" to me but, never able to find or afford one, I went in for the Ruger Security-Six in a big way. I have one in each barrel length, plus a couple of 3-inch Speed-Sixes (they were born .38 Spc, but teamed for the .357). Since the early days I've come to since believe that the Rugers are better guns, but I still have always wanted a 66, and not just any 66, but the 66 no-dash. I want mine to have a pinned barrel and counter-bored chambers. And I want the S&W stamp to be on the side plate and not under the cylinder release on the other side. (I've also heard that the no-dash model is made from a better grade stainless steel, but I've never been able to confirm that.)

I am glad that I got lucky and found a 4" 66 no dash a few years ago just before the prices started to go crazy. If I remember right, I got mine for $300. A couple years later I stumbled onto a 6" 66-2 in a gun store that I pried out of there for $340.

A year after that that I found a Model 19-2 that I believe to have been unfired since it left the factory. The price on that one was subject to inflation and I had to pay $450 for it.

I must have used up all my gun-luck because since then I have yet to see either a Model 66 or Model 19 at any kind of a reasonable price around here. I started off as a kid shooting revolvers and have always had a soft spot for them. Of all that I have owned and shot, the K frame Smiths have been my favorite for camp and general knock-around guns. I do have to say that the 4" 586-2 I picked up at a local estate sale is giving them a run for the money as I like the balance with the heavier barrel when shooting magnums.

66 no dash
IMG_1626-L.jpg

19-2
IMG_2931-L.jpg

66-2
IMG_3479-L.jpg

I'm lucky enough to still have my Highway Patrolman from 1967 IIRC and a California purchase as well as my 19-5. I did sell the model 28 about a decade ago but don't miss it too much.

I also still have my Dan Wesson and except for having to re-tension the barrel every once in a while that set up simply works.

The 19 has a set pf Pachy's on it now:
medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

Back